Started on: 07-12-2000 01:25 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: batboy on 07-17-2000 07:58 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I found a penny (?) in my cash drawer last night that I want to identify. The front (I assume) has a large number "2" in the center, a couple of ?wheat sheaves? around the top and the word "PFENNIG" across the bottom. The obverse has some kind of plant in the middle (?pot leaf?) and the words "BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND" around the edges. My guess was either German or Dutch, but I'm probably waaay off. Not a huge, major, enormous, big deal. I'm just curious.

------------------
Dave-
Grape Ape ('85GT)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
It's a German coin, I still have a modest coin collection from my youth and have a few of those. Not worth much really. I think the pfennig is roughly like a US penny.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's German. If it has a 2 in the middle then it's 2 pfennig which is about 1 US penny.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Thanx. That was sort of what I figured, too. I wasn't planning on collecting it hoping it would be worth lots of money. I just thought it was a cool coin since I didn't have one like it. One of the advantages to working in a convenience store. I get to go through the change and see if anything interesting needs to be bought. I have all of the current/past "new" quarters (incl. SC), a bunch of 1999 Susie B.s, Bicentennial quarters, halfs, and some nice silver dollars. Bunches of cool pennies, too. Some steel, tons of wheat, etc. I think my oldest penny is from 190x.

------------------
Dave-
Grape Ape ('85GT)

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
MM, you find me a 1909-S VDB Lincoln penny and I'll pay you at least $100 even if it's really worn. With all coins, the value increases as the coins get nicer. Watch out for the 42-45 nickels, known as war nickels because they have 40% silver and are worth more than average.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
BB--I'll dig through my coins tomorrow. I didn't know any pennies would be worth more than just a few cents. I just dropped a 1944 in the bucket today. What's that worth? It looks the same as the rest of them. Just found a 1919, too. It's interesting to see some coins that almost pre-date my grandmother. What's special about a 1909? Would an earlier one be worth as much? I'm sure I have a 190x somewhere, but I don't know if it's 1909.

------------------
Dave-
Grape Ape ('85GT)

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2000 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15809 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Oops. Just noticed you said something about the 42-45 nickels, not pennies. I'll have to start looking.

------------------
Dave-
Grape Ape ('85GT)

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2000 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Monkey, 1909 was the first year for the Lincoln cent. Older pennies are Indian Heads. There are 3 current US mints (where they make the coins): San Francisco "S" mintmark, Denver "D" mintmark, and Philadelphia "P" mintmark or no mintmark. Most wheat-back pennies aren't worth a lot, but the real old pennies (teens and 20's) are worth a little more if they have the S mint (look just below the date for the mintmark), because not very many pennies were made at San Francisco during that time period. There are two 1909-S pennies to make it confusing. A more common one (but still worth a few bucks) and a rare VDB version. These had the designers initials, Victor D. Brenner, located on the reverse (back) side right at the bottom. BTW, there is also a 1909 with no mintmark...with and without the VDB (but these are relately common).
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2000 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
During WW2 didnt they use steel to make pennies? Or was it iron? I can't remember. I remember my dad had a bunch of those indian nickels or pennies or something and I spent them at the local chinese store when I was like 10.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2000 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Yes, in 1943 the pennies were made out of steel because of a copper shortage.
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2000 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
Zinc plated, too, I believe.
PFF
System Bot
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2000 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
The 1944 pennies were made from a cheap brass alloy. Not the standard copper alloy used in 42 and 45. Or the steel in 43.

By the way last time I checked (been a while) the 1950 D nickel was worth about $7.00

Deer_Slayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2000 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deer_SlayerSend a Private Message to Deer_SlayerDirect Link to This Post
The 1944 pennies were made from shell casings because people were mistaking the steel cents for dimes.
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
Thats right deer_slayer!..We must have a few nuisimasts here (Correct spelling "coin collector")...lol
dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2000 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Those Wheat back pennies are great.

Sure wish I had one of those 1909's

I have a penny here, its a 1955 but the date and the words across the top are a little smugged, just my luck to have a bad one?? Guess Ill drop it in the gum ball machine and keep looking for that 1909 S.

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2000 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
The only wheat penny I'd want is a 1944 double date. The date was struck twice. Might give you a Fiero for it....

------------------
This should work until my site comes online....

dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Patrick's Dad
Guess you are right, checked all my coin books and the 44 double die is so rare it isn't even listed???
Iam thinking, you were thinking the 55 Double Die?? (want to see one?)
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I have a "poor man's" 1955 double die cent. You need a magnifying glass to see the faint second outline and it has got some wear, so it's not worth a lot, but I got one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock