Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  since everyone is having computer problems....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

since everyone is having computer problems.... by olympic
Started on: 07-02-2000 02:30 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: GT Bastard on 07-02-2000 09:01 PM
olympic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Here's one of my own. I have an old P100 that has worked great for years. I've upgraded the ram from 16mb to 48 mb and upgraded the hard drive from 1gb to 3.2 gb (Fujitsu) The problem I am having is that the computer locks up after being idle for several hours. When I move the mouse the monitor turns on and I can usually run one program(example:netscape, quickbooks) and when I try to shut down that program, the computer locks up. The computer also runs very slow and the hard drive sounds very busy in the program before lock up. I think something is eating up the computers resources while it is on stand by. Any ideas on how to fix this, or is this a natural sign of aging?

Here's some data:
-I run scandisk, cleanup and defrag 1-2 times per month.
-my hard drive is less than half full. I've uninstalled all games.
-monitor shut off, hard drive shut off and system stand by are all set for 15 minutes.(no screensaver). Ive tried setting the hard drive shut off and stand by times to "never" but it didn't help.
-I have no anti-virus software I don't open email I dont recognise.
-once the computer locks up, I have to hit the reset button on the CPU, "shut down": and CTRL-ALT-DELETE wont work.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2000 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
do you have win 98?

if you do, you can try going to start then to programs - accesories then system tools, then system info, and on the menu click file check, its something like that and it verifies if any files got deleted and copies back to your harddrive

olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
THanks for the info. I never knew that function was there. I ran the checker and it didn't seem to find anything. Since I don't have anything real important on my hard drive I am real tempted to reformat it and reload windows 98. The only thing I would hate to lose is all the plug-ins and updates I have downloaded. Is there a way to save plug ins to a disk once you have installed them and deleted the .exe file?
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Plugins for what program?

I have a similar problem with my system.. except that it goes on standby.. even though I've disabled the standby feature... I swear, sometimes my computer acts like it's posessed..

------------------
http://www.fieroproject.com

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
turn off screen savers or use a microsoft provided screen saver. Allot of screen savers are not properly written and crash when the system sleeps/wakes.

Other things like McAfee Virus Scan scheduler will also do things that affect system sleep. Most schedualars pole the hard disk at regular intervals looking fo things to do. It screws up sleep. It can crash when it sleeps or later during/after wakeup.

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Ogre is on the right track.... Scheduled tasks could start running while you're away and you never realized that they locked your system... And easy way to test that theory: CTRL ALT DEL and end task on everything but systray and explorer. THEN let you're computer sit. If the problem is gone, then you've got programs running in the background that interfere. Just use process of elimination.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock