Started on: 07-02-2000 12:14 AM
Replies: 1
Last post by: theogre on 07-02-2000 12:25 PM
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I am putting the pieces together for a p-2 computer and noticed that I can get a xeon 400 with 1 meg cache for the same price as their regular p-2 400 with 512 cache. What problems would I have if I used the xeon??
BTW- the M/B is an Amptron P2-2200 that supports dual processors if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
read intel's documents carefully. I believe Xeon, like Pentium Pro, may be optomized for "32 bit clean" code. (IE, WinNT4 and Linux) If that's the case it will actually perform the same or maybe a bit more poorly than the PII & PIII processors when running Win9X.

The reason I believe this is Xeon and the now extinct Pentium Pro are targeted at the "Server" market which all run Netware, WinNT, or Unix/Linux. These are all 32 bit "clean" operating systems. Win9x still contains allot of 16 bit code. There is a "mode shift" in the processor each time you change from one to the other. PII and PIII may be built to accomodate this better than Xeon. Like I said, check Intel documentation.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock