Started on: 07-01-2000 07:27 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Ozzy on 07-03-2000 11:53 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2000 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I got a virus in my computer a while back and have finally gotten rid of it but it messed up my computer. I bought Norton Internet Security 2000 and found the virus (KaK Worm) and quarantined it, then delelted it.

Now my computer only boots in safe mode and my settings are all messed up. My pixle setting will only set to the highest setting and none of my programs will run.

Where should I start?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2000 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SESend a Private Message to 86SEDirect Link to This Post
I'd say Backup your important files, format and re-install. That would be the easyist, most hasstle free way.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2000 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Seems alot of my files have become messed up. I tried to reinstall Norton and I couldn't even do that, it just locks up. I even tried to delete Norton and it wouldn't let me do that because some file is corrupt.

86SE,how would I go about doing that? You see, I'm not too good at messing with these computers.

GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2000 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Easiest solution... Call Norton or visit www.Symantec.com for the fix.
86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2000 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SESend a Private Message to 86SEDirect Link to This Post
If Symantec can't help you and you dont have any files that are very important to you, or that cant be erased you can format the hard drive.

Restart in DOS > at the command prompt (C:> ) type FORMAT C:
The format will begin, takes a while depending on the size of you hard drive.

After its all formatted restart the computer with the Windows Setup Diskette in the floppy drive (if you dont already have one you better make one befor you format).

The setup disk is a boot disk and it will ask you if you want to stup up computer with CD-ROM support - select YES

Put the Windows 98/95/NT/2000 or whatever version you have in the CD-ROM drive and it should start to install. The rest is pretty much straight foreward, on-screen instructions.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Before you format- find the book for your windows O/S- you will need the product ID number off the certificate of authenticity. If you have lost the book, someone here could probably get you a number to use.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I have all the books and CDs that came with my computer. This is getting really bad. Everytime I reboot my computer it gets worse. Now I see small x's and dots all over the screen.

Why do people make these viruses? What the hell is wrong with them? They can't see what happens to my computer when it hits... so what's the point?

I may be offline for a while

dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2000 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Never had a virus that Penecillin couldn't clear up till now???

Anyway I will be trying the free cleaner located at:
http:/www.pchell.com/internet/kalworm.shtml
maybe that could help you

Anyone else know of FREE Virus cleaners or scanners???

Ozzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OzzySend a Private Message to OzzyDirect Link to This Post
Hey SCCA....

I have just had it too...I hope to GOD I did not pass it thru to you.

Dude, I am in Ogden this week. Are you done with your Idaho gig? Maybe we can hook up and I can help you thru your PC woes. I have the 2 Fiero's here in town as well.

This little bastard virus can only be contracted thru Outlook Express I'm told. I don't know where the hell I got it but it was a pain in the ass for sure.

Did you take note of what the file names are that you deleted? Don't re-format yet!! You probably just deleted a file that windows is looking for on boot up. As ;ong as it boots you are still in reasonable shape.

Ozzy

dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
I am BEGGing for forgiveness, if I infected anyone.

Thats not the kind of virus I like to spread

I did have the one I mentioned above and went to the web page I noted up there and it cleaned it up very quick

What the directions called it was "VBS.KAKWorm" It really didn't kill my system but when I would boot up another box would appear that I had never seen before, titled:
Driver Memory Error
and in the box it says:
Kagou-Anti-Kro$oft says not today!
and had a OK box under that???

If you choose the OK it would shut down your computer if you choose the X in the upper right corner it wouldn't do anything???

Anyway use that WEB address above! It cleaned me right up.

And again SORRY SORRY SORRY if I sent it to any of my FIERO FORUM friends

Ignorance is no excuse for the RULES

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Hey Ozzy.

If I got this from you, I may have to kill you

I think I got rid of it. The files that got infected must have been to my video card because I reinstalled an update for it and everything seems to be OK now.

However I can't seem to get this Norton antivirus to scan my email. When it's on I can't receive any mail, so I have to turn it off. I spent $60 bucks for this virus scanner and you would think they would include some instructions that us idiots can understand.

Dog, I got that same message when I got hit. Then every now and then I would get an error for some KaK file.

LOL... Maybe I should wear a condom from now on??

No hard feelings an my end you guys... $hit happens.

------------------
-Chris
88 Fiero Coupe
V6 Fastback

PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99
Ozzy, if you are still around we could hook up. I am off work because the guy we are building this house for is on vacation and he won't let us work on it while he is gone. He is changing the plans as we go (pain in the butt!!) and doesn't want us to put walls in the wrong place .

If you want to give me a buzz you can call me at 786-0614

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-03-2000 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Surf safely the way!

------------------

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 07-03-2000).]

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
OZZY!!!

Guess what I just did. I looked in my old mail for the email you sent me for your cell phone # and guess what Norton did. It said there are errors in the mail! It found the KaK script worm.

Looks like you're the culprit! LOL

Anyway it's gone now. Quarantined that sucker.

------------------
-Chris
88 Fiero Coupe
V6 Fastback

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 07-03-2000).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Having a computer virus sucks and is a big hassle, but you usually resolve the problem with an up-to-date antivirus program (like Norton 2000) without resorting to reformatting the harddrive, although, there are cases you just about have to do that. Danger: you need to have a current Windows start-up 3.5 floppy disk with your CD-ROM drivers on it. If you only have a Windows upgrade CD-ROM, you're going to be screwed, unless you have a previous Windows version's disks or CD-ROMs. Make sure you back everything up you want to save, because you will lose everything on your harddrive when you reformat.
Ozzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2000 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OzzySend a Private Message to OzzyDirect Link to This Post
Hey SCCA....

=======>As Ozzy rolls over the floor repeatedley getting the $hit kicked out of him for infecting his Fiero bretheren!! <=======

I guess you must use Outlook Express. There is a patch available for the security hole in Outlook Express on the microsoft website somewhere. It's free too.

I'm staying here for at least another week and may have some time on my hands on the weekend. Only thing is I'm probably going to take the GT to Idaho tomorrow. We are moving there soon. I have finally tied down the folks at Level3. I'm going to be working for them as an OSP Engineer covering the network from Seattle to Las Vegas. It's real good bucks & bennies; too good to pass up! I can live anywhere in between so Idaho is cheap and my wifes people are there.

What the hell happened to this place?? Provo used to be a quiet little town and cheap to live. Easy to commute etc...obviousley not any more.

Anyway, I will call you toward the end of the week. Have a good 4th.

Ozzy

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock