Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  anyone have any experience with a de tomaso pantera?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

anyone have any experience with a de tomaso pantera? by FieroSTETZ
Started on: 06-27-2000 11:53 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Monkeyman on 06-30-2000 10:05 AM
FieroSTETZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZDirect Link to This Post
i have been looking around for a pantera, and someone a few miles from me is getting rid of one (her husband died and shes getting rid of it) now, i know this may get me flamed, but i could sell my fiero and mazda to get the pantera.. i would like any input/opinions on the pantera, and people trying to convince me one way or the other please thanks much!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
A friend at work has a Pantera he is restoring. Interesting car. The only problem is money. A lot of stuff on the car just isn't available and there are not alot of donor cars available. Many of his new parts are made by a local machine shop. Big bucks for custom made stuff. He's about 60% done.
Nice looking but I'd never get rid of my Fiero!
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I've heard of the pantera, but never seen one (as far as I know)

I assume it's a sports car.. anyone got pics?

ok, found some!

[This message has been edited by DaRkLoRD (edited 06-27-2000).]

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
the owner of the local Muffler shop has a Pantera GT5 335-35-17s in the back and he beats the hell out of it! Beautiful yellow, loud 351 shaking the ground.. mmmm I need a real job...
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I could be mistaken, but isn't a Pantera in any kind of decent shape a 6 figure price tag???

Maybe do a little more research on what it's worth and what she wants for it. If you can get it for the price of a Fiero and a Mazda it might be too good a deal to pass up.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Steve--The one in the front is a GT5, the one in the rear is a "base" model.

DRH--Depends on the model and year. The GT5s go for 5 figures even if they're trashed. I wouldn't mind having one, but I couldn't drive it. That would mean sitting in it and I'm not much into '70s styling. Let me see if I can find some pics.

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
Pantera's are BaD!

A buddy of mine used to work for the local Jaguar dealer... they sold a Pantera to a guy, who bought it for his 16 yo son!!!!! Kept blowing the rear wing off, at high speed every time he changed gears!

Thats the honest truth... as I understand it.

hoop

stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
I would be all over that Pantera if I were you. DRIVE her down in price and go for it. This guy had one that came into a Shell station I used to work at back in 78'. It had a V6 with a problem of melting one of the exhaust manifold. I don't think he did a good job of up keep to be melting a manifold though. I thought they all had V8's, but this one didn't. The guy insisted it wasn't a kit too. I like the red one I saw at the Autorama in Sacramento. Polished and blown! What a beast
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2000 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
Id give the fiero and the mazda and my left ahem for one. And they do all have V8's 351 clevelands to be exact with ZF transaxles.
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2000 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Quick, delete this thread before my dad (Big O) sees it! You'll make him sad!
When I was in highschool, (early eighties) we lived near Brussels Belgium. At that time, cars with big American V8s where dirt cheap to buy, expensive as hell to drive due to registration and insurance. Perfect example- a Shelby GT500 convertible for $9000 went for a loooong time without selling.

My dad picked up a 75 (I think) Pantera L for $6500!!!! It was too pretty to look at and nasty too! I remember driving in the rain on the freeway and my pops downshifted from 5th at about 80 and got wheelspin! It looked like the red car that Monkey posted, except dark red with black hood. I miss that car (snif)!

So yeah, sell your mazda, your fiero your second born child and your little dog toto to get one. Just give me a ride in it!

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2000 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
The Pantera is one of my all time favorite cars. Possibly my favorite car. They look awsome, have a really cool history behind them(Mercury dealerships actually sold them in the U.S.), and are fast. I just wish I could find a mint Pantera around town for what I paid for my Fiero(not likely ).
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2000 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Looked at some Panteras a few months back -the going price was $25K-35K+ for a fairly decent one that didn't need much work.

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 06-28-2000).]

HYPTNOTiSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2000 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HYPTNOTiSEClick Here to visit HYPTNOTiSE's HomePageSend a Private Message to HYPTNOTiSEDirect Link to This Post
We had one come into my dads autobody shop about 6 months ago for some paint work. It looked exactly like the red one, and it sounded bad ass, although i never "drove" it(pulled it in and out of the shop and into the paint booth, big pain by the way, i never got to dog it to see what it could do) I wasn't impressed with the car enough to actually lust over one. It was an older one, not sure what year 70's maybe, but it was hard to shift, you can't see out of the back of it to back it up, and it's very cramped inside. But i guess that reverse isn't what the pantera is about, it's about going forward, very fast! To each his own, but to me, if that pantera was only worth 5 thousand dollars i wouldn't buy it. But if i could buy a 6 thousand dollar car for 5 thousand i'd be all over it. definatly not worth 5 digits in my opinion as you can get a heck of a lot more car for that money.

I dont mean to bust any balls, but it's just my opinion

gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2000 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post
Well,as I recall, Road and Track did a test on one and they came away with mixed feelings. It wasn't very fast, and the handling was slightly funky. The interior reminded them of a kit car. In fact the whole car reminded them of a kit car. Looked good tho..
Kid at college had one. All I remembered was that he wasn't a good driver and the car was always filthy!
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2000 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZDirect Link to This Post
damn. she checked the kbb value on the car. well, now since i can't afford it she was going to ask 8000 for it. good condition with 124k and change. damn damn damn damn damn i wanted that car. i wonder what insurance for an 18 year old and a pantera woulda been?
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2000 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
You probably wouldn't want to know.

------------------
Dave-
Grape Ape ('85GT)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock