HELP with nonfiero 3800 Gen I by Jonathan
Started on: 06-25-2000 12:17 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Jonathan on 06-25-2000 07:19 PM
Jonathan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonathanClick Here to visit Jonathan's HomePageClick Here to Email JonathanSend a Private Message to JonathanDirect Link to This Post
I need help on a car that I am working on. It is a Buick with the Gen I 3800. Non supercharged. I was preforming a general tune up/ and maintence, and ran into a problem. The engine was idling normally. However, it was low on fuel. It began to stumble, and loose power. I restarted it several times. (The tank still has fuel in it right?? Wrong, bad gage reading) I finally filled it with a couple gallons of fuel. Couldn't get fuel to the fuel rail. Finally got it, after breaking the line at the fuel filter, etc. Now I have fuel at the schrader valve, and it still won't start. I pulled a plug, and connected the spark plug wire, Now I don't have a spark. I can't figure this out. Any one know what fires the 88 buick 3800? Is it a crank trigger? I have no clue on where to go from here. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2000 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageClick Here to Email fierospeederSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
if you have a fuel gauge, check the fuel pressure,

i would get a timing light, and have someone turn the engine while you check all the spark plug wires. The ignition module can go bad and only some of the wires will fire.

olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicClick Here to Email olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
It only takes a few seconds without fuel to burn out the electric fuel pump. Definitely chech the fuel pressure first. I never run my cars below 1/4 tank because even though there is fuel in the tank, it can slosh away from the pickup tube under braking or cornering.
Jonathan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonathanClick Here to visit Jonathan's HomePageClick Here to Email JonathanSend a Private Message to JonathanDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pressure is ok. I am going to try the timing light on each cylinder wire. To see if any are firing. Sounds like a good way to see if ignition module is bad. Being a $95 part, I don't want to replace it until I'm sure. That sound plausible, when it started messing up it began running as if it were only using a few cylinders. Then nothing. Just way too coincidental for me! Thanks for the help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock