Who else is sick of these songs? by My7Fieros
Started on: 06-20-2000 06:36 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: DJRice on 06-26-2000 09:14 AM
My7Fieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
"Smooth" by Santana, "I stumble"(or whatever) by Mary K.Blyth (or whatever again), that song about a girl who cries a river and floods the whole world...by 9 Days I believe, and all those Christina Aguleira songs....eeekkk!!! For the most part, they're pretty ok songs, but how many times a day do they have to play them?
I remember when I was a junior or senior in high school, I heard "Pour some sugar on me" by Def Leppard SOOOOOOO many times, that I STILL know every word to it, and I havnt listened to it in 10 years!! AAARGGGG!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Pour some sugar on me! Damn, if we had skid cars (oh wait, we do) we should be listening to that all the time..
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
"pour some sugar on me", "18 and life", a bunch of stuff by Poison. I remember it all like it was yesterday!! My7fieros, you and I must be the same age. Let me guess, Class of 91???
BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I'm just a grouchy 32 year old fart, but I don't like how much more prevalent "manufactured" bands and music have become. It seems to be not so much about the music anymore, but about a producer getting a pretty face or faces up front, then hyping things to max, and sitting back and raking in the dough as shallow teenyboppers rush to buy whatever they are told is "cool" this month. I know that this has been going on for some time, too, and that big profits have always been a part of the music industry as as well. I'm sure some of here can remember groups like The Monkeys, the Partridge Family, Poison, etc. It just seems so much more common and blatant today. I think the New Kids On The Block kind of kicked off the current trend by showing how popular and profitable a musical group tailored to certain demographic groups could be.

I really don't care for a lot of the current breed like N'Sync, Brittanny Spears, Christina Aguilara, Backstreet Boys, etc. I swear most of their music sounds the same, like it scooped out o the same can or something. I guess only time will tell if this stuff has any staying power like a lot of the older rock and pop music.

Anyhow, there is a new station here in Seattle that only plays 80s music, so I'm pretty happy listening to them and sort of reliving my high school years, although I do think I'll send them an e-mail with a few suggestions to add to their playlist.

gkozlov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gkozlovClick Here to visit gkozlov's HomePageSend a Private Message to gkozlovDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how many "class of 91" folks we have here. Im one.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2000 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BN Boomer:
Maybe I'm just a grouchy 32 year old fart, but I don't like how much more prevalent "manufactured" bands and music have become. It seems to be not so much about the music anymore, but about a producer getting a pretty face or faces up front, then hyping things to max, and sitting back and raking in the dough as shallow teenyboppers rush to buy whatever they are told is "cool" this month. I know that this has been going on for some time, too, and that big profits have always been a part of the music industry as as well. I'm sure some of here can remember groups like The Monkeys, the Partridge Family, Poison, etc. It just seems so much more common and blatant today. I think the New Kids On The Block kind of kicked off the current trend by showing how popular and profitable a musical group tailored to certain demographic groups could be.

I really don't care for a lot of the current breed like N'Sync, Brittanny Spears, Christina Aguilara, Backstreet Boys, etc. I swear most of their music sounds the same, like it scooped out o the same can or something. I guess only time will tell if this stuff has any staying power like a lot of the older rock and pop music.

Anyhow, there is a new station here in Seattle that only plays 80s music, so I'm pretty happy listening to them and sort of reliving my high school years, although I do think I'll send them an e-mail with a few suggestions to add to their playlist.

Same age. Same grouchy old fart. Although I like a few of the "newer" songs, all I can say is: GO '80s!!!!

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, listening to Kid Rock kinda makes me think of Frank Zappa and the sixties.
Its the only thing I enjoy playing loud that my kids don't complain about and leave.
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
LOL, funny how the "Pour some sugar on me" brought back some memories of high school! Those of you my age, do you also remember hearing "Talk diry to me" (Poison), "Youth gone wild" and "18 and Life" (Skid Row), "Sweet child o' mine" and "Welcome to the jungle" (GnR), "Bad Medicine" (Bon Jovi),hmmm, what else...oh God, "Still of the night" (Whitesnake)...lol, yes, the 80s had the best! Of course the writing was on the wall too..."Hanging Tough" (New Kids on the Block...vomit!), "Out of the blue" (Debbie Gibson, stupid song, but God she looked good!)....still much better than most songs today! OH YEAH I FORGOT...CLASS OF 90

[This message has been edited by My7Fieros (edited 06-21-2000).]

FieroGTGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTGirlSend a Private Message to FieroGTGirlDirect Link to This Post
My7Fieros~~ I love Smooth!!!!!! As for the rest of those bands, No Way!

I am Class of 93... I am convinced I was born in the wrong decade though. I love the 60s and 70s Rock!!!!! Although I do like 80s and 90s Rock. I even like some R&B & Soul...
Coconut has shown me some smooth jams. And this is coming from the girl who used to ONLY like Metal!!!!

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
My brother turned up "smooth" on the radio the other day, and I leaned over and punched him in the arm. I can't stand it anymore.

All that 80's hairband stuff stinks too. Sorry guys, I know there are a lot of people here who still live in the 80's, but it's true!

Does anybody else here like the Counting Crows, or The Band? I have been really into them for the past year or so. All my RL friends hate most of my music, damnit.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Well this is really going to date me but I remember we went camping one year and all we could get on our tiny portable radio was one rock station. (so far your thinking not bad) But that was the same year that "Billy Don't Be a Hero" Came out. I swear they played that song every 15 minutes the entire weekend! I think the DJ got tired of all the requests because at one point he played it for 30 minutes straight!! (probably went into a very quiet room with a very large beer while it played!)
PFF
System Bot
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
Allright Oreif, I'll date myself to...lol Smoke On the Water over and over and over and over.........The whole Boston album...My Sharona...HAHAHA
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
ya do kinda get sick of songs you hear over and over - and it seems that when a new one comes out the DJ's give it a LOT of air time -- ok - now, i'll date myself -- I was playing music in the early and mid 60's as a professional musician (ok, some people say drummers aren't musicians!) - anyway........I felt I would get sick if I had to play that song again (didn't matter what it was but it was the one everyone wanted to hear - over and over and over and.................) -- I still listen to the same music now but I can turn that little knob on the radio to 'off' anytime I want!!

[This message has been edited by tgowens (edited 06-21-2000).]

lennyb4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lennyb4Send a Private Message to lennyb4Direct Link to This Post
I have to agree that the 80's music was the sh*t. Long live big hair bands ( and metal ). I do have to agree with GTGIRL i think smooth is a good song (especially for you now what ). But i also like counting crows, and the cure.

** If you like rock and want a good cruising song try the one by kid rock. Cant remember the name but it has the saying "jump in the pit and try to love someone".

[This message has been edited by lennyb4 (edited 06-21-2000).]

Gold-86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gold-86SESend a Private Message to Gold-86SEDirect Link to This Post

Adding my $.02

I'm class of '90, so I will show my youthful age. I love the '80's. I find that they are similiar to the fifties in many respects, but back to the music. Hair bands, and head bangers. Glam Rock. What ever you want to call it, it was/is good rock-n-roll.

The '80's hard rock is not much different than boston, the eagles, and journey of the seventies.

Although I am partial to the '80's, I will listen to just about any good rock-n-roll from the '50's up to now, but as for top 40 crap - leave it out to dry. That stuff is stale and targeted at preteens.

Just to let every one know, cinderella, dokken, poison, and slaughter (all heavy '80's hair bands) are on tour this summer, together in one show. Here is the link for the texas shows, but you can access other states. If the link does not work, go to ticketmaster.com and type in cinderella and choose your state.

here is the link: http://www.ticketmaster.com/cgi/artist.idc?searchname=POISON&state=tx&type=STATE&minorcatnum=31&MajorCatNum=2

lennyb4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lennyb4Send a Private Message to lennyb4Direct Link to This Post
I aint "nobodys fool" and i definately wasnt the "last in line". I already bought my tickets "to the show". Man it was so busy the day i got them i felt like a "depserato", it was like walking "onto the isle of domination".Then they tried to be all polite and said welcome (yea to the jungle). I dont know i just felt like i was "free falling" "further down the spiral" and running out of "time".
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Let's just say that I have a 15 year HS reunion next month. (No. I'm not going. Too many people. Makes me nervous.)
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
OUCH!! (he says as he reaches for his walker.......) you're all younger than I am!!! (I don't really use a walker....I have a Fiero........)
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tgowens:
...(I don't really use a walker....I have a Fiero........)

And who needs to walk when you can FLY!!! Go, Fiero, go!!

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Lennyb4, the Kid Rock song you are referring to is "Bawatawaba"...bawatawaba bangy dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogie....lol...sounds strange..but a ROCKIN' song..
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2000 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
thanx MM - kinda like the 'flyin Fiero' I have on my web site?.......... ...........by the way, I have that on my postcard page -- if you or anyone wants a postcard with their car on it, email me the pic of the car and i'll add it to the postcard page......... http://www.tgowens.com/fiero/postcards.html
PFF
System Bot
phillip
No longer registered
Report this Post06-22-2000 10:46 AM   Send a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
if you've got public radio give it a listen. we have 3 in louisville that have merged and one plays pretty much anything depending on the day and/or time of day. top 40, urban, even contry(which i don't like much any way but will sometimes tolerate just to see what they'll play next on public radio) stations seem like a waste of listening time afterward.

also people and groups that you thought no longer put out albums are there. usually if you like what they were doing they are still good. there's also music that dosen't quite fit other formats. or what might be thought of as song 41. remember top 40 is just that, and urban and country stations may not call themselves that but thats what they are (you don't know depression until you've listened to the dixie chicks every 2 hours, my co-workers are big country music fans. i try to change the station sometimes but for them it's all country all the time. i can't listen to any style of music all day long). i surprise people all the time with music they've never heard.

tgowens, i heard lexingtons is pretty good too and if not. try to tune in ours. 91.9. pretty much every thing i buy is what i heard there.

BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2000 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post
Two more words that will drive a man insane: Ricky Martin. Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! Enough already!
sully5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2000 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sully5Send a Private Message to sully5Direct Link to This Post
What Boomer and MonkeyMan said. BTW - Class of 88. In fact, got Def Leppard Hysteria out in the tape deck right now.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2000 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... my 19 year old punk ass feels a little out of place here! hehe. 80's bands.. <snicker>
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2000 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Once again, for those that weren't paying attention the 1st time---'80s ROCKS!!!!

sully5--Rush/Signals in my tape deck. Was Asia for the last week.

CUTTER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CUTTERSend a Private Message to CUTTERDirect Link to This Post
80's are cool, I like "GnR" the best. I like stuff from the late 60's and 70's like the doors, Led Zeplin, CCR, stuff like that. but nothing beats the new stuff like Eminem, Dr.Dre, ICP, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, oh and I also like the "Rave" dance music. It gets me goin when im not. I might be the only outcast here but hey, my dad always said "what ever floats your boat" LOL
phillip
No longer registered
Report this Post06-25-2000 10:02 AM   Send a Private Message to CUTTERDirect Link to This Post
3 cd changer in the fiero. right now:

sade-love deluxe
david gray-white ladder
jellyfish-bellybutton

if you want to impress someone with how good your system sounds try steely dan's gold album. a best of with extra tracks by donald fagen. track ten "true companion" unless you're a total bass head (maybe even then, too) sounds great. good to take to stereo shops too.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phillip:
3 cd changer in the fiero. right now:

sade-love deluxe
david gray-white ladder
jellyfish-bellybutton

if you want to impress someone with how good your system sounds try steely dan's gold album. a best of with extra tracks by donald fagen. track ten "true companion" unless you're a total bass head (maybe even then, too) sounds great. good to take to stereo shops too.

Didn't know I had ever sang a song. Hmmm...What's my "ladder" song sound like? If you like it, please show your appreciation by sending me some cash. Anything that rhymes with "one hundred" will be fine.

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2000 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
For all those folks bemoaning the state of top forty radio, need I remind what top 40 sounded like in the eighties? Phil Collins' freakin "Sussudio" Lionel Richie...pulease! And Def Leppard drives me to drink! Top 40, while being of higher quality and more variety then in the eighties, will always suck, just because it panders to the least common denominator and plays certain songs to DEATH!
Now,when it comes to talking about eighties music, give me "Kiss me, kiss me , kiss me" and "The Head on the Door" by The Cure, "Front by Front" from Front 242, "The Land of Rape and Honey" from Ministry. Throw in Love and Rockets "Express" and The Church "Starfish" to chill out to and you got yourself a good start to your anti-top40 eighties music record collection.
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Talk about a variety of music people listen to! I like all kinds of music for the most part, but this crap that out today....the 90's had the absolute worst music in history (IMHO). Puff Daddy....man, hes got talent..NOT! Hey, I gotta idea, lets take some great songs of the 70's and 80's, and even 90's, use their music, then talk (oh Im sorry, "rap") over their music. Man thats talent! I love music, from the great songs of the 70's, to the big hair bands of the 80's. But the 90's was the most tasteless music, from crappy teeny bop (by the way, whens the last time you've heard anything about the Spice Girls? hmmmm) to that whinny British crap (Oasis, for example), to (God forbid) rap, or "hip hop" or whatever in the hell that crap is. GARBAGE!!!! Yeah, hearing a car go down the street w/ its stereo blaring and all you hear is "boom, boom, boooom"...that stupid bass...man, thats some quality music...give me a break!
Why am I rantin' and ravin'? I have no idea...sorry. Anywho, to each his own.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'm with Stimpy. It's not that there isn't anything good being produced. It's just that anything that varies too much from the "Marketing Formula Du Jour" doesn't get played on commercial radio. They want to appeal to the broadest market segment possible, and don't want to play anything that might encourage listeners to say, "That's different. I don't like it!" and change the station.
Been that way as long as I've been listening. (My 25 year reunion is this year.)
BTW... I listen to talk radio, alternative rock, 70's and 80's music, and album rock. Pretty much in that order.
Mostly, I listen to CDs when I want tunes.
(Listening to Crack Attic, by Crack The Sky, now. You haven't heard of them.)
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2000 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Perry Como!!!
phillip
No longer registered
Report this Post06-25-2000 11:09 PM   Send a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
oops. sorry 7. thats me boomin' in the streets. been drivin my truck more just to listen to the stereo. some times people sneer, i think because i forgot to hit the loudness button. ah, there you go. that better?
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2000 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I'll take some good ol' massive militant poetry any day.

"Movin into '92, still in a room without a view" -- Rage Against the Machine

c/o 92 baby, YEAH!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock