Ford F150 Speed Governor by Motorhead
Started on: 06-11-2000 12:23 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 2birds on 06-12-2000 11:35 PM
Motorhead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone been involved with the speed governor on the F150? ie: Disconnection or Bypass.
Is it a computer function or mechanically activated?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
It's probably there for a reason man. Say, like, the truck's aerodynamics making it dangerously unstable at high speeds
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
These are easily bypassed with chips.
There are two reasons I can think of right away for limiting the top speed of a vehicle.
One is tires, and the speed rating they have from the factory.
The second, and one that is a lot more difficult to fix, is drivetrain torsional rigidity. There has been a great deal of discussion about this recently on the Thunderbird bulletin board I follow.
Most any 89-up T-bird is capable of exceeding the 105 mph governor the factory puts in all but the Super Coupes and Mark 8 Lincolns. There's a guy named Jerry Wroblewski who posts on it all the time. He's a powertrain engineer, and gets in on a lot of Ford's wild projects. The biggest problem is driveshaft rotational speed vs. the type of metal used, the stiffness inherent in the rest of the drivetrain, etc. Lincolns use an aluminum driveshaft, the Super Coupe uses an aluminum oil pan on the engine, and the 5 speed SC's get 2.73 gears, vs. 3.08 or 3.27 for automatics.
Check out the board and look for his posts. Full of info if you're into Fords.
www.tccoa.com
technical bulletin board
Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post
Shiner. This inquiry was placed because a friend's child had swallowed poison and while trying to rush the child to the hospital, the truck kept cutting off at 95 miles per hour. This is really not an aerodynamically unstable speed on the flat stretches of dual lane road on which she was traveling. Believe me, this woman rarely exceeds the legal posted speed limits under normal circumstances.
She was upset however that in an emergency her truck was limited to such a degree.
Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post

Motorhead

472 posts
Member since Apr 99
Thanks 2birds! Very informative answer. I'll check it out.
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
I understand the importance of an emergency situation but driving that fast in that state of mind was probably more of a risk. Had there been an accident even if no one was hurt from it ( which I doubt)would have only delayed treatment even longer. Im an EMT so I can speak from experience.
Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post
Point taken and appreciated. However living in a very rural area of SC means that there is not allways a local friendly EMT right around the corner. This tends to make people growing up in these areas very self sufficiant. Calling an ambulance is the very last thing on your mind when things like this happen! I know of no mother living in an area like this who is going stand by and wait for an EMT unit to arrive when her child is in peril!
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
No the point was missed. I was not saying to call and wait. I was only saying that driving like aww forget it.
Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2000 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post
GODD IDEA!
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2000 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
GEE THANKS
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2000 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
i think it was the buick grand national had the same problem in 87, i have some motortrend article with the six fastest american cars going at it.
corvette, either the mustang or camaro was 2nd. my tbird turbo was fourth 140mph. Grand national, i think it had one because of the tires it ran on. Daytona was last, i believe.

Having your car go poogoo stick when your drive shaft breaks cant be fun. I seen drive shaft loops to hold it in place when they break.

PFF
System Bot
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2000 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the 88 Fiero Gt/Formula goverened at 255mph????????

but the car starts lifting off the ground at 178 mph. and the factory tires probably arent good for over 120 mph for more then a minute or two. Why is the limiter taken off?

2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2000 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
I had my fun on the old Montanabahn when I moved back in 96. My Super Coupe drove like a dream over 120, barely even 4000 rpm, but the Fiero just ran out of breath as I buried its speedo. Got passed by a state trooper in a Bronco when I was running about 95, and he just waved at me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock