Making a resume... by GT Bastard
Started on: 05-22-2000 04:21 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Patrick's Dad on 05-23-2000 11:46 PM
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2000 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be looking for a new job soon and I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice on what makes a good one. Anybody know of some good web sites on the topic? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2000 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
make sure that the interviewer drives a fiero...... And talk fieros woohooo

btw... spell your name right it looks bad if you would put something like GT Basstard instead of GT Bastard. lol

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2000 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
As a professional interviewer and personnel supervisor, I guess I should cough up my two cents.
1. Keep objective concise and pertinent to the job applied for. Don't spread out the same resume for every job and company. You got a computer, just update the objective whenever applying for a different job.

2. Use plain white paper. Fancy marble print resume paper looks like crap when it gets faxed from the HR dept to the decision maker.

3. Outline important skills that you may or may not have used in previous jobs. Maybe Gateway never used your interest in quantum physics, but maybe NASA can't wait to get their hands on you.

4. Keep your job duties. By this I mean don't list skills and duties from past jobs in the past tense. "reseacrh'ed' yadayada, perform'ed' blabidyblah" You can still do these things and present tense is far more active- adds punch.

5. For God's sake- leave out the freakin hobbies and personal data.
Interviewers don't care if you enjoy playing ping pong with your wife of 23 years, Muffy your pet pomeranian show dog and your 2.5 kids. And pulease don't include a picture. (nothing against your style buddy) In this climate of equal opportunity, make it all about the skillz!

6. Keep it short. Aim for 1 page. Play with font size to make it fit, but don't make the interviewr get a headache. It's better to leave out the job delivering pizza then to go to a 6 point font. Do not include addresses or phone # on work history, and put personal references on a seperate sheet. Only give personal references when requested.

The idea is to wet the appetite of the HR manager and leave them wanting more. Make them get in touch with you. And if you do include an email addy with your header address, make sure it sounds professional. No one wants to hire bootyslappa69@hotmail.com!

Hope this helps and good luck my homie!

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2000 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info stimp! That'll come in useful.
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2000 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
Good Info, Stimpy. I was just updating my resume yesterday afternoon actually.

Very good tip about keeping the job duties. I re-read my resume after I was finished and though it sounded a bit odd. Thats exactly why.

***note to self, change email address and remove picture of me with the dog in the fiero***

mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2000 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to a resume hosting page that a friend of mine operates...
http://www.goiv.com/resume/resume_link.php3?view

I'm sure some of the ones listed there will be lessons in how-not-to-write a resume!! But, maybe you'll get something that helps ya out...

[This message has been edited by mbramble (edited 05-23-2000).]

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2000 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
I don't know. I might hire bootyslappa69@hotmail.com We might get along pretty good, until my wife found out....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock