Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  HELP...another Win95 computer problem...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

HELP...another Win95 computer problem... by deceler8
Started on: 05-16-2000 05:46 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: theogre on 05-17-2000 11:56 PM
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Not a big problem, but every time I shut my computer down (Pentium Pro, 166, Win 95), it accesses the A drive (floppy)...started doing this a while back.

I find the machine accessing the empty drive at shutoff to be annoying. It does not log this drive when I start the machine. How do I get it to stop accessing the drive at shutdown...Any ideas...

Thanks again.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DaRkLoRD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Mine started doing this when I first installed a virus scanner, it was checking the boot record of the floppy drive (first checking if a disk was in the drive)
Mine doesn't do this anymore since I switched to mcafee, do you have any software like this installed?

could be many other reasons..

[This message has been edited by DaRkLoRD (edited 05-16-2000).]

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Disable "scan floppies on shutdown" in your virus protection settings.
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post

GT Bastard

2243 posts
Member since Sep 1999
You beat me to it by 1 min!
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
hehe.. figured you'd answer this question too.. I'm glad my answer matched yours.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
What is a Pentium Pro?

Sorry- just had to throw that in. My computer is Pro 200. My computer that died was a Pro on a P2 motherboard clocking a 233-400 MHZ. I would change the speed if I were playing games. But it now rests in computer heaven due to M/B failure.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Cooter--It's a Pentium that gets paid as opposed to a Pentium Amateur that doesn't.

I have the same problem (?) with my computer. I'm running a PII/400meg w/Win98. I figured it had to be something with the virus program as it started just after I downloaded Norton. It hasn't bothered me so I didn't worry about it. It's not going to hurt anything, right?

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
As usual, you guys were right again. It was the virus scanner.

To the moon, Norton...

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Users of McAfee Virusscan should also shut off the scan scheduler unless you actually keep the computer running full speed 24x7. Scheduler has been known to cause problems with system sleep modes and hard drive sleep.

It tends to crash system sleep modes. It doesn't matter it you put the system to sleep or if it sleeps automatically via a timmer. the machine may appear to go to sleep but the system will actually crash either going to sleep or waking up. The result of this crash can even screw up CMOS settings on some computers.

It also poles the hard drive continuosly to check it's schedule. This keeps the hard drive from spinning down after periods of none use. (The HD won't spin down until the system tries to sleep the whole computer. At that time the first problems above will likely show up.)

When installing McAfee don't install "screen scan" This "feature" is mostly a giant pain.

DO keep system scan, email scan, and down load scan, on at all times.

NEVER EVER open an attachment unless you know what it is/does. EVEN IF ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE DOESN'T FIND ANYTHING!

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-17-2000).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock