Need computer help re: memory by deceler8
Started on: 04-28-2000 05:14 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: deceler8 on 04-30-2000 11:00 AM
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2000 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
I have a PII 166mhz PC with 32 megs of RAM. The memory in my machine is 2 4x32 16MB SIMM'S, 72 pin.

Someone gave me two 16MB 72 pin SIMM'S, but they're 2x32...

Will they work in my computer ? They look like they'll fit...anyone have an idea ?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
b_b_a_d

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2000 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b_b_a_dSend a Private Message to b_b_a_dDirect Link to This Post
Simms are interesting...

To start, there are 3 different types of ram as far as simms are concerned:

sdram, fastram, and edo ram.

Please note the different speeds as well. Mixing 70 ns, 60 ns, and, or 10 ns. (nano seconds) will be your undoing before you even get started. Best case scenario here is the possibility of it running at the speed of your slowest rated simm, but don't count on it.

I have never known it to cause harm to any computer by mixing different types. Let me clarify! Most computers will not run at all... No harm, but no successful boot up either.

Ram is also paired up. You will definetly want to put the same type ram in the first two slots, 0, and 1, as well as the set you would like to try in the following two slots, 3, and 4. If your computer beeps at you funny on boot up and refuses to boot beyond your eprom/dos settings, most likely the ram isn't compatible.

Believe it or not, I have had ram problems using the same type ram made by two different manufacturers. Pain in the @$$. You can try rotating the first set with the second, but usually to no avail.

A quick test to make sure the ones you picked up work is to just replace the ones currently in your system. If your computer doesn't boot up properly with just those, then I wouldn't even take it any further.

Hope this helps a little.

PS: I build computers on the side as a hobby. LOL!

[This message has been edited by b_b_a_d (edited 04-28-2000).]

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2000 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
It's going to depend completely on your motherboard and what memory is already in there. If you're system is a gateway, I can look it up for you. Otherwise, just call your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer.
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2000 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Is there anything this board can't provide an answer on ?

Thanks guys.

All the chips are 60 nanosecond memory...the only difference being two of the 16 meg boards are 4x32 and two are 2x32.

Just what does the 2x32 (4x32) stuff mean anyway ?

So the consensus is plug 'em in & see if it boots. Can do.

b_b_a_d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2000 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b_b_a_dSend a Private Message to b_b_a_dDirect Link to This Post
The short version...

A variation in how much data (bits) are transferred per clock cycle.

[This message has been edited by b_b_a_d (edited 04-29-2000).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2000 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I'd answer the question, but I forget the answer. Anyone know if you can double a humans memory? I'm willing to have a chip implanted, but then I'd probably have to upgrade my mother-in-law board. I already seem to have problems with my floppy drive. My monitor/video card is out of focus, too. Any suggestions? At least my RAM works.
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2000 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
I have a P100. It came with 16 mb ram(4 4mb chips) clocked at 60ns. A friend gave me 2 bars of 16mb(50ns) ram. I plugged in the new ram and the computer booted up fine and has worked fine ever since.
Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2000 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
You must have the only Pentium II 166 in existance! My advice; get a new board and chip, and get a stick of 128mb PC100 ram. Price it out at Pricewatch.com. You'll be suprised how cheap you can put together a great system.
b_b_a_d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2000 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for b_b_a_dSend a Private Message to b_b_a_dDirect Link to This Post
If it suits your needs, be happy!

I have a mid tower P166 with 128m of ram that is lightning quick that I still use for many applications. It was equally as fast with the original 32m for most apps, but I am an extremist when it comes to graphic apps and I needed the extra ram. It ran many of the popular 3d high end games quite well with only 32m of ram.

I just built a Full Tower ATX Asus motherboard K7M with a celeron 500mhz processor and currently 256m of Dimm Ram.
I could go on and on about all the goodies I have on this, but my original point was don't go looking for an over priced new car just yet if the one you own is meeting all your needs!

deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2000 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Stuck 'em in, turned it on, and it's working fine.

I will be upgrading one of these days...when they finally make broadband available here (and at a price I want to pay).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock