Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Hipsters in the house... looking for good chill music.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Hipsters in the house... looking for good chill music. by stimpy
Started on: 04-25-2000 09:57 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Standard on 04-27-2000 03:59 AM
stimpy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2000 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Ok fellas, don't want to hear about Pink Floyd or Alan Parsons or any other tired old sheeit. I am working on replacing my dearly departed cd collection and need to get some good titles/ artists to check out. Portishead "dummy" is one of my prime examples. Looking for something with some depth and layers to pick apart. Orb is cool, but sometimes a 14 minute song is a bit much, and I do like vocals. Dead Can Dance and enya type stuff kinda bores me to tears. I need some GOOD trip hop stuff. Whaddaya say fellaz, help an old guy out and pass on some info.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2000 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Ever try Meat Beat Manifesto? They're stuff is catchy. It's kindof mellow catchy electronic mustic with lots of drums and stuff. It's really hard to describe music. If you want something with layers, it's cool. Tool is still one of my all time favorites. Their newest cd Aenima is by far the most in-depth music I've run into. I used to listen to it several times a day. After a period of time, you begin to pick out things that you never heard before.
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2000 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Damn, son, if thats chill music for
you, then lets go f-in party! Bet
you break stuff, huh?
Seriously, haven't heard a LOT of
MBM, but I got the impressin they
were a lot like KMFDM and Nitzer Ebb.
Most of my old collection was Front
242 so yeah, I do like that genre,
but I need to keep it all balanced,
plus have sumthin to play when the
future Mrs. stimpy rides along.
I appreciate the effort geoff, but
think m-e-l-l-o-w without being
d-e-a-d.
Robert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2000 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
I just went out to my ride and took a look at the CD case. Here is what is in it.

I think I have something for everyone, mostly myself in different moods.

Willie Nelson Super Hits
Dixie Chicks Wide open spaces
Beth Hart Screamin’ for my supper
Celine All the way
Santana Supernatural
Bob Marley & the Wailers Legend
Simon and Garfunkel’s greatest hits.

stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2000 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone heard Beth Orton? I've heard it is very cool smooth stuff with some provoking lyricals, haven't heard but one song- stolen car. Should I drop 15 bucks on the cd?
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2000 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
You guys have awesome taste for tunes! Some of the latest stuff I've been listening to is the new MDMFK disc (formerly KMFDM)and Apoptygma Berzerk. A.B sounds kinda like some old Depeche Mode but has a cool beat to it. Good for ravin it up. If you are into some heavy industrial type music check out Cubanate or Gravity Kills. Grab a couple of their songs through Napster and check them out. I have a a bunch of their stuff on my machine. My Napster ID is [UW]Hades
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2000 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Stimpy,

I like a few artists from virtually all types. One that I find interesting, different and very light hearted is Cake. I know that they are not around anymore so nothing new will be coming out, but they have a few good albums out. They tend to be fairly mellow. Also although they utilize primarily simple melodies, they often incorporate many differnent styles of music creating an all together interesting and somewhat complex sound. Other than that you can always check out Cibo Matto, Catherine Wheel, Supergrass... there are many others, but if you don't like this genre of music you most likely will not like any of these artists. Many good songs/artists can be heard at www.woxy.com It is a local radio station that plays some interesting songs.

Let me know what you think,

William T. Thorn, III

stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2000 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Cake is no more???? That sucks!
I went to go see Cake in some dinky club in Sacramento that I have a strong suspicion was a gay bar in real life. It was just before Fashion Nugget came out. Some greek gypsy polka duet opened and played for 2 hours. Fun and unusual at first, but how much bazooki and accordian can you stand, right? Then Cake came through the crowd, some drunk frat kid in a CAKE t-shirt almost didn't let the guitarist up on stage cuz he didn't want to let some geek in a quiana shirt in front of him. When they played they RIPPED IT UP!!! for 45 minutes then left. Man, that was cool.
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2000 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
p.s. thanx for the cool link. that is one thing sorely missing in oklahoma city, a decent alt-indie radio station. Good record stores though if you don't mind ordering and waiting til tuesday to get your new discs. ya just gotta know what to get.I think next week I will get the soundtrack to run lola run. cool movie with very cool music.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
The Big Wu!! Local band here in minneapolis. mellow and funky.. a departure from my usual punk/ska mix but i love them! http://www.thebigwu.com I like Cake, I have their "prolonging the magic" cd, but I get a little bored of it if I listen to it to much.
I love Tool. Awesome band.

My favorite heavy industrial is Fear Factory. Gravity Kills is good, too. got their first cd when it came out awhile ago.

The newest metal/rap band I just got into has been Primer 55.. anybody heard of them? probably a little too.. aggressive for some people on this forum..

geez.. i must be a little dyslexic today or something.. I used the wrong thumb thingie. should be a thumbs up! must be the meds.. hehe

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 04-26-2000).]

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I like Garbage, Econoline Crush.. Enigma, Robert Miles, Prodigy, and almost anything techno. I like most music actually. I have my sister's Natalie Imbruglia tape in the car right now.. I should make a tape of my favorite songs, but I'm not tired of this tape yet.

right now I'm listening to songs by Len & Kim Lukas.. (happy music.. hehe)

PFF
System Bot
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

DaRkLoRD

7001 posts
Member since Feb 99
I realize that music doesn't really fit in with the other stuff mentioned in this topic.. but I never really did like the same stuff most others did.
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2000 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I knew could count on you guys. Waiter, triple espressos and smelly french cigarettes all around for my very cool friends.
DL. Econline Crush is anoyher one of those bands I've heard about, but never heard. Any album in particular that will tickle the gray matter?

Fitter, happier, more productive, listening to radiohead, drive fiero at least twice a day.

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Since you liked those suggestions, I have a few more sure fire winners.... Morphine (another band that is no more) and Travis. Travis is an awesome Brit band that just hasn't caught on this side of the pond yet. Then you can try some Catherine Wheel too, there are so many, I can't possibly narrow it down to just a few. If you listen to 97X (woxy) you will hear many younger bands that aren't played most anywhere else. That is where I have heard most of the bands I reccomended to you. Oh and you mustent forget the ever classic Bob Mould (the X-front man from Husker-Du and Sugar).

William T. Thorn, III

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Regarding Econoline Crush, "The Devil You Know" is one of my all-time favorite CDs.. I absolutely love the songs "Surefire".. "Sparkle & Shine".. "Deeper".. it's a great CD I think. they had a couple before it, but I only have this one and "Affliction". That's a good cd too, not quite as upbeat, slightly more of a metal/industrial sound.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Steve, I wish we lived closer together cause we'd be doing alot of CD swapping! That Econoline Crush is AWESOME! "All that you are" and "Home" are great tunes as well! Don't buy too many CD's since I got the dish network. It's got over 30 music channels with no talk or commercials! I keep it on alternative and have the system patched to my receiver and record right off the dish! I got a tape player in my Fiero, but eventually I want a mini-disc system!
superXmotorsports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2000 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superXmotorsportsClick Here to visit superXmotorsports's HomePageSend a Private Message to superXmotorsportsDirect Link to This Post
GT Bastard is right MBM is cool trance type music. (old KMFDM Money - Angst does kick a$$). ORB is also cool mellow electronic music. I like Cracker (their non-radio songs) to relax to. It's mellow blues-rock type stuff. I'm a Cracker nut if anyone needs suggestions on what to buy / listen from them let me know. SXM.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2000 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Just thought of another band.. Incubus not always mellow, but they have a nice variety. Check out their newest cd, Make Yourself. track 8 is one of my favorite songs of all time..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock