Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Looking for other sports car, any suggestions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Looking for other sports car, any suggestions? by loafer87gt
Started on: 04-14-2000 02:19 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: loafer87gt on 04-21-2000 03:18 PM
loafer87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, I'm sad to say that I will be parting with my Fiero because I just can't afford to do the repairs on it anymore and am sick of GM in general. I simply refuse to support a company that doesn't backup its vehicles and offers no support to the owners. I was wondering if anyone on the lsit has had a chance to drive a 300ZX non-turbo? There is a nice silver one in my area for $10500 Canadian and I have been offered $7500 for my GT (once I get it running!!) I was just wondering how reliable they are, and how easy they are to work on. The other two cars that I have looked at and have been impressed with are the Mr2 and Supra (nice little rice rockets!) I love my little Fiero more than any of you could imagine, but I just can't find anyone who is capable of working on it, and the constant guess work my the GM dealerships is draining my wallet. (I have just posted my latest problems in the tech area of the forum)I just feel that maybe I should cut my losses now and get something else, and then when I'm done school get a Fiero for a Sunday driver car. The price range I'm looking around is up to 11000 Canadian, any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageClick Here to Email 1FST2M6Send a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
since your in canada... find an Asuna Sunfire Turbo. they pull 6-9psi.. with an exhaust and intake upgrade, turbo timer and HKS EVC (about $1000) you'll have a car that will reliably pull 14-18psi and run mid 13s in the 1/4 mi. (400m) For those of you not familiar with Asuna its a Canadian version of Isuzu. Kinda like Honda and Acura... same people diffrent name. Once again you might have serviceabilty issues.. I'm not sure how the Asuna/Isuzu dealers are up there... Or an 86.5-91 Supra Turbo. I had a 93 300ZX-TT. Loved that car... let me walk away from a wreck... (60mph in to a van that ran a light) poped the airbags bent my new wheels and KILLED the car bu i walked away.. so that a VERY safe and STUPID fast car!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 455
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about the others from experience, but I almost bought a (new) 1st gen MR2, in 85. Cornered like a slot car. Then I saw the GT, and fell in lust with the looks and the sound. If I HAD to choose a sports car other than the Fiero, it would prrobably be an MR2. <As I slip into my NOMEX suit>
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageClick Here to Email GT BastardSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for cheap repairs, why go with an imported turo car? That would probably be my last choice. At least check other message boards for these cars and ask about it, but they're going to be biased.
87PegasusGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87PegasusGTClick Here to Email 87PegasusGTSend a Private Message to 87PegasusGTDirect Link to This Post
Having had this argument with myself at least once already and having driven almost every cool sportscar under $40,000, I honestly would go with a 2nd gen Mr2 Turbo or 300 zx twin turbo. They are not the cheapest to fix, but very fun and fairly reliable. They can also go much faster with $ but they already will stand up to a Vette stock. (Excepting a C5 of course)
Boodoggin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoodogginClick Here to Email BoodogginSend a Private Message to BoodogginDirect Link to This Post
The only other car I really like besides fiero's are 5.0 mustangs the 87-93 style. I drove a 91 LX Coupe 5.0 police interceptor, and loved it. It would be my second chice after fiero.
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMClick Here to Email TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
The 85-89 300 zx sucks, I dont know about the turbo models but the n/a models are slow and they all cant corner at all.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
How about a nice Honda Civic?
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboyClick Here to Email batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Nuthin' gets 'em wet like a Vette!
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboyClick Here to Email batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post

batboy

4908 posts
Member since Jun 99
But, you still have to wait until you get home, unless you're young and limber.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeClick Here to Email frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Good one, Cooter. How about a Geo Storm? Is there a conversion kit to drop a lawn mower engine into it to up the h.p.?

Seriously, Toyotas are very reliable so I would go with a '91 mr2 turbo. 300zx twin turbo is going to still be a LOT of money.

PFF
System Bot
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seClick Here to Email turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
I feel for you 87GT, but hang in there. The dealer the absolute last place I go for anything except to show the Fiero off. Isn't there anyone in or near your area to work on Fieros? Seems everywhere I go I find someone.

Last summer a local used car dealership had a red 94 300Z with T-Tops, chrome wheels, auto trans (a must in Myrtle Beach summer traffic ). It had low miles, so I decided to stop in and take it for a drive. Yeah I considered buying it, but not to replace my forever Fiero obsession. I was so unimpressed with the car, I returned it in less than 20 minutes. My turbo 86SE would run circles around it! It didn't handle very well either. My mechanic looked it over, he said don't ever bring this thing to me when anything goes!
My insurance was going to triple! No thanks!
Before I got my Fiero, I looked at a Nissan Pulsar, cool little car, but gawd-awfully sloow!
My advice is, to hang in there! From your past posts it sounds like a sweet car! I regret selling my 85 coupe three years ago, you'll regret selling the GT!

Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Sniff Sniff... But my other car is a Honda Civic!
iplayazi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iplayaziClick Here to Email iplayaziSend a Private Message to iplayaziDirect Link to This Post
What were your problems with gm.. I live in Calgary Alberta so I think we talk the same language.. I had a buddy that HAD a 300 zx.. the repair bills on them can be quite costly, even though I love the look of 300's.. very sweet ride. Kinda like a fiero.. just bigger.
Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I have a pearl white Z, love it.
The repair bills are crazy and the parts cost out the arse.
If you get one, buy the twin turbo. Trust me.
Here is a link to some great guys that talk 1990+ Zs: (not a better group as us) http://www.twinturbo.net/
Check out the frequently asked questions.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2000 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Geo Storm? NOT!!! I had one of these. A yellow 1990 GSI. It was a "performance" model. It was not all that fast (1.9L dual cam w/5spd)and could not corner very well. My stock Saturn SL1 corners better than my Storm did.
If you want a good sports car, I would suggest another Fiero. Once you get rid of your Fiero, you will miss it! I had an 86 SE V-6 4spd drove it for 163,000 miles and got rid of it because it needed work and I didn't have time or money to deal with it. I had 3 more cars after it. Then I sat in a friends Fiero and within a month I had an 86 SE again! There is nothing else that compares to a Fiero. Even if the other car is faster or handles better you will always compare it to the Fiero.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2000 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeClick Here to Email frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Cooter, I wasn't flaming you, buddy. A Honda Civic is an excellent OTHER car. Just not a substitute for a fiero.

Oreif, I was just joking about the Geo Storm. Sporty cars should have engines bigger than motorcycles (or in the Storm's case, mopeds).

Spyder, NO WAY!! A new Vehicross, AND a 300zx in the stable??? Way to go!

Loafer87gt. Saw a '91 mr2 turbo red 5-speed with leather interior 43000 miles for $7900US (don't know what that translates to in Canadian) in the paper today. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2000 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I knew you were kidding, so no offense was taken. Besides, you have got to have something like a hatchback to haul your Fiero parts around in!
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2000 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Frontal, a moped engine!?! no wonder my Geo storm was slow! (LOL)

Loafer, what about the new Opal Speedster? I've heard rumors that Pontiac may build a clone for the states.

Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2000 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
frontal lobe
The Z is more my wife’s than mine. It’s her baby….. that I have to take care of. (ie. Repair bills)
The only time she lets me drive it is when she wants to drive my truck....huh...women.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2000 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all your replies. I was kinda in a bad mood when I wrote this first post. I have been without my Fiero for around three weeks now while it has been in at the GM dealership getting repairs done. My "bad experiences" with GM are that they are plain rude to Fiero owners. When I took my car in to have it looked at I was told that the Fiero is car Pontiac wishes never happened. How much more inconsiderate could they get?!! I love my car to death and comments like that hurt and are unnecessary. This is the same dealership where the car was purchased new back in 87 as well. I have been going to the Pontiac dealership because the Chevy dealership refused to work on my car. I am really confused on what to do, I have done $1300 in repairs so far this month and they still haven't found the problem, and I don't really want to go to another dealership and have to have them start right from the beginning trying to track down the problem with the car. As I posted in the Tech section, the car is stalling out, and the the engine is really surging only running on three cylinders. It does this if you run the car for around a half an hour, turn it off for 15 minuts, and fire it back up. So far they have replaced the alternator, ignition module, coil, cap and distributor, ECM, plugs, plug wires, cleaned the injectors, and the car still dies on me on the way home from the dealership. It really is psiing me off, as I have had to pay over $300 to get the damn car towed back to the dealership the four times it has dies on me. They have now had the car in there for a week and a half and still haven't found the problem. I'm getting real impatient as this is my favorite time of year to have the car out as spring has finally come in Canada and I love to show off my car at the university campus! Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted on the latest happenings. I took the 300 Z non-turbo car out for a test drive and was very impressed with it, the seats are very comfortable and the car has the same sort of feel as my GT. I was doing some research on the car and from what I've read the non-turbos are more or less bullet proof, and they are 160 pounds lighter on the front because of the lack of a turbo so they handle quite a a bit better then the non-turbos. First things first though, I got to get my GT fixed before I can do anything.
PFF
System Bot
White88cpe
longer registered

Report this Post04-17-2000 07:14 AM   Send a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
i have a '74 corvette. i think people think they are more expensive than they really are. repairs are kind of costly but most of mine are things to improve perfomance or personalize it. remember mechanialy it's just a chevy. every body and their grandma either drives one fixes them or sells parts for it. plus with mine being non cat converter an no computers and millions of sensors i'mless intimidated looking under the hood than i am with my 4 cyl. fiero.

it was only a daily driver for about 10 months but i never had a break down.it was all i had running at one time last winter and i ended up driving it in snow. no blizzard but it's possible. if your're pretty good about not wreaking cars it keeps it's value. it looks good and if you get the right style ('68-'77 or '78-'82) it will look like the fiero. or is that the other way around?

[This message has been edited by phillip (edited 04-17-2000).]

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2000 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceClick Here to Email DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
As far as easy to work on goes, I don't think that any of the cars mentioned would be easier (or harder for that matter) to work on than a Fiero.

Its a shame that the dealer you chose has replace everything to eliminate where the problem isnt. The "Whatever's left must be the problem" mentality is very expensive. At the very least, you shouldnt have to pay for a part at all if it does not solve your problem.

If I were going to get rid of my Fiero, and find another ride, I'd have to go with some old school horsepower. a '67 Camaro, maybe a 65 Impala SS, any year Chevelle SS..thats what you need.

lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGClick Here to Email lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
No doubt,'69 SS El Camino with a big block,overdrive automatic.Smooth,fast.

Ever wonder what kind of car carried the cameras in the movie "Bullet"?

Toyota has a new MR2 convertible,if you want another lightweight go-cart.

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 95
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2000 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
You should buy a.................

curtain unveiled..............

everyones jaw dropping..............

GASPING......................

holding breath....................

passing out.....................

I forget now...............

wait, hold on..............

I'll be back later............

sorry, I had to urinate............

I'm back...............

ok......................

A low miles 88 Fiero formula or GT!!!!!!

White88cpe
longer registered

Report this Post04-21-2000 12:22 AM   Send a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Dont know how you would feel about somthing alittle bit larger, but I used to own a Murker XR4TI, same drive train as a mustang SVO but its got the germen influence. A thousand CDN will get the car around 200-250 horse. Another thousand on suspension and the car will corner with the best of em.

Anyways, loved mine but I really wanted a fiero.

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2000 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManClick Here to Email ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
My pick for "Best Sports Car Under $5000 That ISN'T a Fiero" would be a Porsche 944. They look cool, they handle great, they stop on a dime, and they hardly ever break down (but when they do, look out...$$$).

Runner-up would be the 2nd Gen Mazda RX-7, provided you can find one that doesn't need apex seals. They didn't look all that cool, but they were fast and fun.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2000 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Guys,

Heres the latest scoop, I got offered 7000$ for my 87 GT by a friend as soon as I get the car running. The good news is that a Silver 88GT just came up for sale in my city. I think this might be a sign from god or something. I'm going to go take it out for a test drive this weekend. By the way, I stopped by the delearship to pick up my car yesterday and I managed to drive it for a full three hours without the engine cutting out on me. It must be some lose connection somewhere in the car, could be fun trying to find where it is though. The bad news is that when I was taking off my glass top on putting them in the front, my latch mechanism broke on my car! One of the roller mechanism that keeps the latch closed broke. SIGH.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock