Started on: 04-08-2000 09:47 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Phil on 04-14-2000 07:21 AM
fierospeeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2000 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Im fixing a friends motorcycle, an 83 honda nighthawk 550. I am replacing the stator and was wondering on how to remove the fan on it. I dont have a repair manual and just using common counterclockwise knowlege to fix the bike.

I have everything off, the plug and the cover, The stator wont come off, there is a cooling fan being held with a nut. When you turn the nut, the whole thing is being turned. I was wondering is there a way to loosen the nut without using an impact wrench? A way to lockup the flywheel or is there a secret spot to prevent it from turning.

thanks you guys

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2000 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Can you put it in gear and have someone hold the brake while you do the wrenching?
lennyb4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2000 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lennyb4Send a Private Message to lennyb4Direct Link to This Post
I had the same problem when i was working on my 97 V-star. I basicly placed it in gear and blocked my wheel from turning using a pipe w/wrap on it to prevent damage to my rim. Real pain but it eventually worked..Good luck.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2000 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Try a nylon or canvas webbed strap wrench. Kind of like a chain wrench but won't mar parts. Make sure the handle tip is pressing on the heaviest part of the flywheel.

You should be able to get one at sears. These come in handy for allot of other things.

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2000 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
ive tried that gear thing and the brake on sunday, i put it in 4th and i guess my friends brakes suck. Cause i can still move it. Im going to try that stick in the wheel, probably tomorrow.

I have seen those belt wrenches, in harbor tools, i wish i have those when taking off waterpump pulleys.

Thanks for all your advice.

FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2000 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTSend a Private Message to FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
There is a special tool to hold the crank still while you get the nut off. The reason you're turning so easily with the bike in gear is probably attributed to clutch slippage, which isn't uncommon. Remember that most bike clutches are multiple wet discs. You can locate this tool thru www.denniskirk.com along with other motorcycle parts. This website has been phenomenal as far as parts go.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2000 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
I tried doing it with the bike and gear and a friend on the brakes and i guess "i dont know much about bikes" but it seems the clutch was slipping and it wasn't really holding it. I still was able to turn it.

So i decided to pull the starter out, only two bolts, and stuck a screwdriver in the gear, no idea what it was while a friend was loosening it.

My friend sold me his bike, he owes me money, so it came out even. Also i was wondering how do you know if the rectifier is bad? The bike no longer charges, but it use to charge while i reved it up. I guess its the stator, and im going to send it in to get another one. The rectifier is like a regulator which charges while it detects the battery is low by checking it by voltage?

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2000 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
The rectifer (diodes) changes AC to DC

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock