Gas Out by kel
Started on: 03-02-2000 03:28 AM
Replies: 32
Last post by: 87SC/GT on 03-13-2000 09:41 PM
kel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kelSend a Private Message to kelDirect Link to This Post
Anybody else hear about the Canada/America "gas out" April 7-9? Not buying any gas those 3 days in protest of the soaring gas prices?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Hadn't heard about it yet. Shows how much I watch the news/newspaper! Will do it. I can make it 3 days if I top it off on the 6th. How much is a gallon of super now in Canada? It's about $1.50 in Mass.
BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
I got an email about a week or two ago. I am definitely in. No gas for me the 7th through the 9th. It's a good idea.
Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
Gas is almost at $1.50 for 87 octane here in good old Pennsylvania!!! I heard somewhere that it could go up to as much as $2.00 a gallon!!
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I was paying $1.75 for premium the last few weeks, but only paid $1.68 for the same stuff last night. All from the same station.
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I got the email as well, So Im in.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2000 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Not more then a year ago, i seen gas for a 110. Now ive seen it around 150 for regular. It sucks that i have to buy higher octane. The news said its suppose to go back to normal in the summer because they dont want to increase production at this time.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Last summer, a friend and I were discussing the impending y2k bug and decided that motor fuel might get expensive if the bug really bit. So, we went to a local station with three 55 gallon drums and tanked up at .80 per gallon. I have not had to buy fuel from a station in a month! My wife made fun of us for buying and storing that much fuel, but I am the one laughing at her now.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I never received any email, but me and Monkeygal are in.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I did the conversion and gas up here in Canada is going for $2.31 cents US a gallon. To figure out the conversion I multiplied our price per litre by 4.7 to get it into gallons. I then converted the Canadian funds into US dollars. Were getting bent over royally up here!
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
sure, why not. I think I can avoid buying gas for 3 days..

however, the logic is slightly flawed. People are going to be buying gas again on the day after it's over, so it might not have the effect people are looking for. gas stations will be slow for those 3 days, then, depending on the number of people involved nation wide, they could be swamped in the following days. However, I don't think enough people will take part to do any serious damage.. what could work, is boycotting the most expensive brand for say.. a couple of weeks. if enough people did that, it could severely damage them.

if anyone hadn't guessed, I have no great love for the oil companies..

PFF
System Bot
sid1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sid1200Send a Private Message to sid1200Direct Link to This Post
1.80+ for regular here in SF, CA

crazy stuff

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Seems to me that a better use of the three day period would be for all Americans to check their tire pressure as the average car would probably gain 3-5% in gas mileage if tires were properly inflated.

So many simple things could be done by the average person at little expense to raise their fuel economy. And lower demand translates to lower prices.

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
I hate oil companies too. Remember the Exxon Valdez "disaster"? Less than half of one day's supply of crude for the US was lost - yet gas prices stayed artificially high for months.

And I remember hearing on the radio when Desert Shield became Desert Storm. Two hours later, all the gas stations in my neighborhood had guys on ladders raising their prices.

It's a scammer's world.

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
I'm in-no gas for me. Don't know if it will work but it at least should make a statement !
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Cooter, how in the world did you get 3 55gallon drums in the Fiero??? One in the passenger seat, one in the front trunk (visibility challenged but possible), but where did the third go?!?!
stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
I marked my calander for no gas. Well atleast the only gas I'll get over the weekend is from my beer. BURP!
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2000 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
They did this "Gas out" thing once before about a year ago. But it was only for a day that time. I don't think it worked.
86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2000 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SESend a Private Message to 86SEDirect Link to This Post
i glad i dont drive my 18 MPG Fiero very much right now!!
kel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2000 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kelSend a Private Message to kelDirect Link to This Post
The e-mail that I received about this gas out stated that it was done last year and it did work. I don't even remember hearing about it then, so I couldn't tell ya for sure.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2000 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Frontal Lobe- dont you use your luggage rack???? I did!
PFF
System Bot
Lynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2000 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LynxSend a Private Message to LynxDirect Link to This Post
Gas just went up to $1.62-87 $1.72-89 $1.82-91 at my local chevron here in oregon. I put 89 octane in all my cars and they say that will be over $2.00 this summer. Thank god i have a 85Sc with the 4banger gets 30 miles to the gallon.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2000 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I heard from a reliable source last night that gas will be up to $0.90/liter by May..

I have some information on engine modifications to dramatically increase fuel efficiency, if anyone is interested, email me and I'll send you a link to a research company. And yes, it's real research.. not some cheap gizmo that doesn't do anything.

I'll also be converting a scanned article to html that one forum member sent me, it was about a modified engine in an 84 fiero that got amazing mileage. over 50mpg if I remember correctly.

olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2000 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Regular is 68 cents per litre ($1.72US per gallon) here in my town. I heard on the radio that in Newfoundland they are paying 84 cents per litre ($2.13US per gallon). Didn't the oil companies do the same thing(cut production to raise prices) back in the seventies?? And wasn't that deemed illegal?? or was that just a price fixing scam...
I sure wish I could cut back the supply of my businesses service and double my price in the process.
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2000 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALDirect Link to This Post
hey guys in malibu california 2.57 super 2.40 mid and 2.20 for good old regular. yu know what's funny? is that we the usa went to protect these poeple from sadam and look what they do to us, stop the production of oil, and thats how they say thank you.
wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2000 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
Gas is around $1.45 here in northern Colorado. It gives me another reason to drive my Fiero instead of my full size Chev short-bed ext-cab 4x4. (nothing special, 1990 with 170,000 miles pickem up truck)
1FieroGTRacingInc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2000 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FieroGTRacingIncSend a Private Message to 1FieroGTRacingIncDirect Link to This Post
Here in Texas 87-$1.55.. 89-$1.65..94-$1.85.
All of this is sooooooo Crazy... I'm tired of paying $1.85. *&%%$# them. GRRRRR
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2000 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I just drove around town and the gas stations are changing their signs again... another 4 cents per litre higher putting it at 72 cents (1.83US/gal). I run a cab company here and this is killing me. It's deffinitely time to switch to diesel or natural gas. Ford sells a Crown Victoria factory built to run on natural gas.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2000 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Okay. Putting on flame suit.

I_don't_think_it_will_do_any_good.

Why? As far as the oil companies are concerned, it will all average out. Everyone is going to swamp the gas stations, the day before the gas out, then they're going to swamp them again, the day after. All that's going to happen is that (maybe) the retailers will have to adjust their ordering schedule, just a bit. Many of the retailers (especially the "mom 'n' pop" operations) are just working stiffs, like the rest of us. They are not to blame for the high prices.

Okay. Blast away.

BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2000 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
The way I look at is that this is just a statement. From my standpoint I am saying that I think that the prices suck.

Will this make a difference??? Maybe not, but I don't see where it could hurt. My statement of not buying gas those 3 days just makes me feel better. If it helps, GREAT, and if it doesn't, I don't think I really have a choice (at least I tried).

Deer_Slayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2000 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deer_SlayerSend a Private Message to Deer_SlayerDirect Link to This Post
The prices in WV now are $1.55 regular, $1.65 plus, and $1.72 super. I can still remember a year ago when it was $0.92 for regular. Wonder how these vehicles run on ethanol? I'd stop going to the pump and start going to the still!
PFF
System Bot
Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2000 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post
We can always follow Fred Flintstones' lead, cut a hole in the floorpan? Ought to be able to get at least 20 miles/six pack.
Guess we should have put a trans-Atlantic pipeline in after we finished putting out all those oil well fires.

Next time we save a country, why not make 'em put up some colateral!

87SC/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2000 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87SC/GTSend a Private Message to 87SC/GTDirect Link to This Post
Screw the gasoline! Who needs it?

Anybody know how to get 36 lead acid batteries to fit into a Fiero?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock