Started on: 03-02-2000 12:43 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: william_thorniii on 03-08-2000 03:25 PM
frontal lobe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
My sister called me tonight saying her daughter had her baby--a boy named Vale R. Corbin V. Don't even ask about the name. That got me thinking, though. Should he some future day be so fortunate, would the Forum's own William Thorn III be announcing a William Thorn IV or will the string be broken? I know it's none of my business, so if this is too nosy, please accept apologies and (kindly?) decline to respond. Come on, though, I can't be the only one curious!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kelSend a Private Message to kelDirect Link to This Post
Ummm...I don't know, you might be the only curious one!!!
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
Corbin? as in Corbin Dallas, the man who saved the world? How did that happen? Not graphicly of course, that would be pushing it past the haha line.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
WT III will be out of town until late today or early tomorrow.
Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
What is going on here?!?! First Patrick fell victim to the random bread-stick beaters, and now William too?!?! I smell a conspiracy.......
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Shiner, you totally lost me there... what is a random bread-stick beater?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
WT III is just out of town on business. I hate to answer for someone other than myself, but I didn't want anyone to think that he just flew the coop.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
10 million apologies if anyone in any way thought I was trying to make fun of William Thorn III. I was just interested in his thinking, because having 3 girls this kind of thing never came up for me. It is pretty rare that someone now days gets to be a III, and I was curious if he felt that he should carry on tradition or if he wanted to choose a different name if he ever had a son. I have always enjoyed his postings and have found him to be an interesting person with well thought out opinions, so the question was asked in that spirit.
BENGAL4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BENGAL4Send a Private Message to BENGAL4Direct Link to This Post
I am also a III. If me and my wife were blessed with a son, I would not name him the IV. Although I am honored to have my Dad's and Grandpa's name, I think I would break the string. I would wan't him to be his own person. I am blessed with 2 daughters and they are a handfull. But by being the only male in the house, I have to deal with female issues all the time. It is a challenge.
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
MM,

I appreciate you letting everyone know that I was gone and not just ignoring the post. Unfortunately between the trip and the weekend (you know I don't check in often on the weekend) and Lindsay, I have MUCH better things to do.

frontal lobe,

I have missed so very much. I am sorry that I have not been fortunate enought to check out the forum earlier. Also since are familiar with my posts you are aware that often I can be neither concise nor clear.

Addressing your topic, I have been asked this question my entire life. Not only am I the third W. T. Thorn, but I am also the last male Thorn in my direct family. My family takes great pride in our heritage. Just yesterday my father was explaining to my sister the historical difference between 'Thorn' and 'Thorne'.

I would like to explain a little about why I choose to go by William T. Thorn, III. Calling myself 'William' has been a recent switch for me. I was raised as 'Bill' (as are most Williams). From about the age of 10 on this caused great confusion as I lived with a father whom also went by 'Bill'. Even worse was the fact that I never particularly liked Bill and really hated the additional 'y' that was tacked on when playing sports and the like. Hence the switch to 'William'. This has caused additional confusion because family and long time friends still use 'Bill'. Old habits are in fact hard to break. I started using the 'III' designation on virtually all official correspondance. This was driven primarily by mail. My father is an accountant that NEVER pays his bills on time. However, when one is pulling down as much as he is that does not seriously affect one's credit. I realized that my bills were often going unpayed simply because they were piled among with his. To this day, my credit rating is not as good as it should be and that is the fault of my name and my parents. In fact, many times although the 'III' designation is specified it gets dropped in processing and billing arrives to 'William T. Thorn'. Oftentimes I am accused of being pretentious because I use the 'III' designation. That is not the case at all. I would much rather have an original name. But at the same time, I am not William T. Thorn... that was my grandfather.

Now on to answer your question. I have a definite I don't know for you. Beyond the question at hand, I do not intend on having children anywhere in the near future. I am getting married this September and am much too selfish when it comes to the attention of Lindsay to share her with children. Also, I do not consider my life to be ready for children. I would need much more financial stability, knowledge and patience to be the type of father I would want to be. I strongly believe that one should not have children if one cannot provide a good family for them. Traditionally Lindsay and I are not huge fans of children either. We enjoy them for brief periods of time, but in most situations would be happier with just a dog

That established, assuming I were to be blessed with a son, I would most likely continue with the theme... but would not allow my son to go by the same name. This would be just for my family. They dearly want the Thorn and Templeton names to continue. I have not determined an acceptable way of doing this though. My grandfather always went by 'Tempy' which was shortened from our middle name 'Templeton' which was his Mother's maiden name. In a day where face to face communication is rare, having the same name causes too much confusion in my opinion. To this day, I still get phone calls for my father. I would hope this would not be the case for my son.

As batboy says... "Is that clear as mud?",

William T. Thorn, III

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Caller: "May I speak to William T. Thorn?"

Answer: "I'm sorry, but he's not in."

Caller: "Well, then may I speak to William T. Thorn?"

Answer: "I'm sorry. He's not in either."

Caller: OK, then may I speak to William T. Thorn?"

Answer: "Sure. I'll go get him."

The 1st time I called WT III, I simply asked for "William Thorn". WT IIIs mother asked which one. I learned my lesson. Now I ask for "William the 3rd".

PFF
System Bot
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2000 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Now I just knew there would be a fascinating story behind this. Thanks for filling me in. Congratulations on the upcoming marriage! My wife and I have been married 12 happy years, 10 for her and 2 for me! (Sorry, old joke but I like it. Kel, please--no flames). I'm right with you on the stable home part. I was 35 when we had our first child, so I was much more mature at that point. I'm not trying to persuade you to have children, but don't worry about not being a fan of other children. No matter how you try to imagine, it is just different when it's your own child. I have 3 now and I'm sure they will each need their own Fiero when they get old enough to drive. Thanks a lot for the response.
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2000 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
frontal lobe,

No problem... anytime

William T. Thorn, III

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock