Started on: 02-26-2000 05:52 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: stsmithgt on 03-03-2000 05:25 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2000 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
My first car was a hand-me-down. Was a 65 Valiant 4-door sedan. Had the 170 c.i. slant six, an automatic trans, and nothing else. Didn't have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt. (Sorry for *that* visual. But it's true.)
First car I ever had that was "mine" was a 68 Ford Fairlane 500. Had a 302, automatic trans, PS and air. Dark green with black upholstery. Chrome reverse wheels. This is the one that went through a rear end and two transmissions. Finally traded it when I cracked the frame. (I'll spare you the details.) To this day, whenever I see one of these for sale, I'm tempted. Wasn't terribly fast, but it was a great cruising car.
IP: Logged
SpeedPhreak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2000 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
bright red 74 nova, 3spd, straight six. i really loved that car.
billfredmike24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2000 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billfredmike24Click Here to visit billfredmike24's HomePageSend a Private Message to billfredmike24Direct Link to This Post
Boilermaker
had a 78 olds cutlass, too, V8, told it was a 305? 2 door, light blue, am radio, heat sometimes, rear wheel drive.
was a lot of fun, drove it for a year with no reverse, then got rid of it last summer.
was a nice car.
kidzwheelz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2000 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kidzwheelzSend a Private Message to kidzwheelzDirect Link to This Post
A 1974 Ford Galaxie 500...what a tank! It did have a pretty healthy 351 in it. Would run about 130, just took it two days to get up to speed...then four days to slow back down. Somehow my parents talked me into selling it to my aunt, and my cousin still has the car to this day. (I sold it 15 years ago!)
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2000 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Great question. Boy, this is bringing me back a few years. But after I got my license, my folks bought me a 70 1/2 Z28. It was great. It had a fresh coat of black paint with red stripes down the middle. My mother re-did the seats. Black with a red inset. (Trying to get her to redo my Fiero seats.) It was a great ride. One problem was that it did not have the original engine in it. LTI? Bummer! That car used to get the chicks. Oh those where the days.
Richard Parnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2000 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
I think we were on this subject once before. But I loved my old first car so much, I'll have to describe it again. It was a '49 Ford . I had a friends dad, who was a master mechanic for the old Slo Mo V hydroplane team, build me a '53 Merc flathead v8 with twin 2 barrels, bored stroked w/solid lifters. Sounded like a sewing machine going down the street. It had a 411 rear end that made it fast enough to beat 'vettes in a street drag but with that rear end it was wound tight going down the freeway. Tunneled in front headlights, tunneled in Cadillac bullet tail lights. Black rolled and tucked seats. Flat black primer paint that I waxed (looked cool). I sold that car(got in trouble had to) to a family man and saw it again years later. It still ran like a top. Sniff--it's bringing tears to my eyes--I gotta go.
Jim Baumann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2000 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim BaumannSend a Private Message to Jim BaumannDirect Link to This Post
My first car was a 66 Chevy Impala Convertable. 327 with a 2spd automatic. Bought it in 70' for $800 sold it 4 years later for $500. Wish I still had it now. Slow off the line because it was so heavy but because of the weight could get an excellent burn from both tires. The top speed was 140 (tried it only once). That car was a great babe magnet, excellent for a high schooler.
bad88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bad88Send a Private Message to bad88Direct Link to This Post
I like to think all my cars were my first, but my very first was a '69 Buick Skylark I picked up for 200 bones. Only had second and third gear (automatic) and barely any brakes. That cost me a ticket once for running a red light. I was the first at the light and it changed before I got through it. Also had a '70 Torino, man I loved that car 125K and still running strong until someone sideswiped me
Good story abot the first Fiero though. I was in the market since my stang got broken into. I saw a lonely Fiero in the back of a lot and asked about it. the salesman would not sell it because it was unsafe. I didn't even know what it was at the time. He told me it was a Fiero and after 6 hours of searching I found a used '84. I drove it off the lot with the brake on (for 10 miles on the test drive), made a u-turn in third and spun the tires.....just history from there. I've had a Fiero ever since and wouldn't trade it for another car at any price. Well I'm babbling but you gotta love this car!!!
RFMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RFMikeSend a Private Message to RFMikeDirect Link to This Post
Blue and white '57 Chevy, with a '56 265 4bbl that the old man and I rebuilt. What a back seat!
Ed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdClick Here to visit Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdDirect Link to This Post
1964 Pontiac GTO in 1964.

Tri-power, four speed, limited slip, nice interior, poor brakes, slow steering. Now, of course you can replace the drum brakes with discs. Faster steering is probably available.

Believe it or not, I got bored with it in a couple of years. The best milage I ever got with it was 17 mpg. This at a time when 29 cent gasoline was still available. Cost too much to fill up. I much prefer "sports" cars such as our Fieros. The GTO was too hard to wrestle around corners. Also very loose in the rear end especially in the rain. Had to start out in second in the wet. Premium fuel only and lots of it. Five miles per gallon when those three twos were opened up. A nice roar, though. Only street raced a couple of times, beat a 426 Plymouth.

stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2000 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
I just got some pictures from my dad in Arkansas and he had some pictures of my first car, a 68 2-dr fastback Impala back in 1979. It would have made a perfect lowrider, but I jacked it up in every corner a about 4 inches. It was my lowrider Biter! For 300.00 bucks, it came with a sprint car engine in it. That was one fast tank untill you came to a corner then look out! The 283 engine was bored out 125 thousanths to about a 377 cu.in. That thing screamed.
I moved on to a beast of a 2-dr fast back 68 Galaxy 500 w\big block 390. Unfortunataly I wrapped that around a pole in 87. I took my Holley off it to pass smog and didn't put it back on yet. I tried powering my way around a curve, and POOF out the FOMOCO carb to kill the motor. The back came around and over a curb into a pole I went going about 30 mph sideways. OUCH! It caved in the side, but I drove it away though the damage externally and interally to the tranny was done. Got sidetracked thinking of the past cars. NEXT!
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock