Started on: 02-21-2000 06:32 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Monkeyman on 02-23-2000 03:54 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Can I use a regular TV for a computer monitor? I'd like a 20"-25" monitor, but there's no way I can afford one. I can get a TV much cheaper. What would I need to do to use the TV in place of the monitor? I know that the connections are different. Are they 2 different beasts? Incompatible? I'm planning to make a built in computer console/corner in my computer room (assuming we can buy the house). I plan to build everything in and I'm trying to start planning now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman, The resolution on a TV is poor. 600 X 400 I think for the wholee screen. Look at a TV at the distance you would view your monitor and you will see the difference. Where you have a problem is text. There is a devise that will let you do this, but it,s used mostly for games. I have a 19 inch monitor that cost a little over 300 dollars, comparable with a TV.
Coy
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
OK. Here's another question. Could I use a monitor like yours to watch TV? I use my current monitor to watch DVDs (I have a DVD-ROM drive). What would I need to do to hook my computer/monitor up to my satellite reciever (DSS)?
Carolina 88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carolina 88GTSend a Private Message to Carolina 88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a pretty good computer setup....hand built.....Dont know jack about rebuilding car engines, but I can build the hell outta computers......First my system I have the DVD ROM & a 24X4x4 rewritable. The trick here is to get a good "pass through" video board. I used the Hollywood MPEG II decoder card for my DVD. This card is excellent as it has the video OUT capabilities you are looking for and has the s-video jack and the jacks for dolby surround sound. I have my computer connected to my 42" RCA and watch DVD movies all the time. On occassion you get a little digital break (kinda like watching satellite on a rainy day). I also have it plugged into my stereo receiver and bose speakers with a bass system UNDER the couch. When you see the action, your ass-meter definately registers. As far as receiving TV signal into your computer (ie. satellite or local broadcast) You would need a tv capable video card. 3dfx makes an excellent video card with this capability the Voodoo 3500TV, unfortunately this card is prone to overheating and you need to look at some specialty cool fans. and ATI makes a pretty good TV card as well. Both cards will run you (for the good ones) around 200 bucks and 79 dollars for the decoder card.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I have an ATI All-in-wonder 128. Windows detects the tv tuner, but it will not work!

I have the latest drivers, I just reinstalled windows on my new hard drive.. but no go. and the 3D performance is worse than my old videocard... a friend of mine thinks it could be a motherboard conflict, but if I can't solve that, I'll try to get the card replaced.. and if that doesn't work... time for a 3DFX card, and separate tv tuner.. that's the reason I got this card, but it doesn't work!

Carolina 88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carolina 88GTSend a Private Message to Carolina 88GTDirect Link to This Post
Those ATI's can be kind of tricky to install. You said that you have the latest drivers....If I can remember the last time I had to install an ATI, you had to have the correct version of the TV drivers to work with the card drivers themselves. You would think it would all be in one bundle! But I had came across two sets of drivers on their website and the versions had to match EXACTLY or it wouldnt work. I love my Voodoo (just remember about the heat potential about the 3500 and the 3000 series)
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2000 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I have an ATI 8 meg card and the seperate TV card. When I upgraded to win98, the tuner quit working. I updated drivers on everything, but still no luck, so I just went back to win95. Everything works great now. I have 98 on the wife's computer and 95 on mine and NT 4.0 on my secondary system. All are networked with 100tx and high speed switch. It makes those three player Duke Nukem death match games a lot of fun! Yes, I am addicted. . .
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2000 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Monkey,

You are well aware that I used to sell computers. If my memory serves me you can get into a 19" Proview (great picture) for under $300. In fact I think that it would occasionally drop down to around $200. I loved the commission on those weeks! Unfortunately, I am sure that you have given up the idea by now since you are looking at multiple purchases in order to do this. Remember, if you get the good stuff the first time, you don't have to upgrade as often.

William T. Thorn, III

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2000 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Pretty much what you just said. I'll still do all of that, but I'll just wait until I can afford the "right" stuff. I'd rather spend my $$ this summer on my car.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock