SPUD Guns by dogtired
Started on: 02-17-2000 02:52 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Richard Parnell on 02-23-2000 06:22 PM
dogtired

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
In one of the other discussions I saw Shiner and Standard talking about Spud Guns. I have heard folks talk about them before & know fairly well how they the work. BUT
How do You build them ???? This could be FUN
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
the way ive always made them is to get a long piece (3+ feet) of pvc pipe 3-4 inch should be fine wider if u got some big toepatoes.

get some of that purple sealer stuff, one of those end caps that taper out & have a screw on lid. 2 screws & a electric bbq starter push button type. file 1 end of the pipe so its sharp enough to cut thru a tater. then seal the tappered cap piece on. take your screws & screw in from opposite sides toward each other until they are close to touching. wire the bbq starter to the screws & look to make sure a spark is gapping the screws (kinda like a big spark plug... hey maybe a spark plug could work somehow too...). adjust the screws so there is a large gap inbtwn but still get a good consistent spark. push the sharp end into a tatoe making sure the wetness seals it in real good...air tight, push the tater down towards the spark as far as you can go b4 the tatoe comes out the other end (the tapered area)... so there is still an airtight seal. then get some good flammable aereosol like hairspray, spray it in (2 people help here) the cap end, cap the end, hold like a bazooka, aim, & push the bbq button. weve launched tatoes & paintballs & rodents very very far.

pipe end

| | ---purple glue to long pipe
| |
/ \
/ \
| |
--| |-- screws w/bbq starter
| | attached

cap end

have fun.

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
The BBQ igniter I used came with its own "spark plug"...

I've always used hairspray as fuel, but I've heard of folks using WD40 and even butane as fuel.

The biggest problem I've had with these is making stocks that look decent. I've been "shooting" for that bazooka look with flat black painted PVC pipe and black wooden stock. Oh, and a camo sling.

SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
sorry the pic didnt come out quite like i wanted, but u own a fiero so i figure u are mechanically inclined enough to get the jist.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Any of you guys have a picture of one or yours. I would love to see an actuall photo. Living here in the city, I've never had the thrill of potato guns, cow tipping, etc, but would love to catch up. Making a spud gun sounds like an excellent springtime project.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I can picture the next Ohio outing (after the 26th). Lots of Fieros and lots of spud guns. I want one, too.

Drew--I'll have to take you cow tipping sometime. It's fun in a Monkeyman sort of way!

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here are some good tips for would-be spud gunners out there If you can get it, use ABS tubing (the black stuff) It is MUCH harder to get, but it will not shatter like PVC. Make sure you use plastic cement that was designed for the material you are using. Safety tip: one guy I talked to put the gun together, glued it up, and looked down the barrel and lit the sparker, which of course ignited the vapors from the cement, and burned most of the hair off the guys head!

If you are going for distance, I found that a 2" barrel connected to a 3" combustion chamber (not sure of the EXACT mesurements of the barrel and chamber) goes the farthest. Our best shot was close to 300 yards with hairspray as propellent.

Hairspray works the best as a propellent. Don't use the "extra hold" stuff thinking that it will be better. It just has more goop in it. What is igniting is the aerosol propellent in it. So use the wussiest holding hairspray.

That's about it. Oh yeah, don't shoot it at people! Those spuds are REALLY flying out of that barrel, and could SERIOUSLY hurt somebody!

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post

Shiner

899 posts
Member since May 99
Oh, I forgot to add something. The first time you fire this thing off, you and your friends won't be able to get that sh!t eating grin off you face for a good hour
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
My brother in law and his buddy Chris built these things a few years ago. His was the white PVC pipe. At night, the whole "gun" lights up and a flame shoots out of the end a couple of feet. It is really cool! 50 pounds of potatoes (or is that potatos???) only lasted about an afternoon. DANGER!!!!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ACETYLENE AS A FUEL FOR YOUR SPUD GUN!!!!!! Chris's brother did this and the gun exploded in his hands. Severe cuts to the face and hands resulted. USE EYE/BODY PROTECTION!!!!!!
Since we are talking dangerous stuff, a plastic soda bottle, some pool chlorine granuales and some brake fluid or unmixed anti-freeze can be an unusual combination. Mix the stuff in the bottle. Quickly put on the cap and run like crazy! The chemical reaction is awesome. The flames are pretty neat! Then bottle explodes violently. Beware of the vapors.
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the bungee cord balloon launcher I watched in action off the loading dock. Three coworkers, two holding the ends and the third holding the balloon in the pocket and walking back to stretch it. They took aim on a pickup in the parts store lot next to us. Impressive, the balloon hit square on the pass window where it was aimed, and it even managed to completely splatter the drivers window!
The look of disbelief on their faces, absolutely worth the price of a ticket.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't recommend using anything other than hairspray or wd-40. Wrap the chamber of the gun with duct tape. alot of layers of it. It'll contain a bursting chamber and stop it from throwing shrapnel all over. Friend of mine tried using starter fluid in his, and was freakin' lucky he had his chamber wrapped. said he felt the whole thing just expand.

My hairspray one is 1 1/2" pvc pipe to a 4"(i think) chamber. threaded connecters so I can break it down to fit in the trunk of the Fiero .

Pnuematic ones can be a little funner, if you have an air compresser. I used a 3" chamber with a taper fitting down to 1 1/4" the rest of the way. Drill a hole through a solid cap and use an schraeder valve stem(should be able to get 'em at you local auto store). Then use two 90* connecters so it doubles back and the barrel will be on top of the chamber. use a ball valve for the "trigger". If you build it right it'll hold pressure for a while, don't have to shoot it right away. more compact. you can shoot water out of the barrel, too. that's fun. hurts up close, tho. I've also heard of a guy that shot some gasoline at a fire from his spud gun. Huge fireball, and set some small trees on fire. gotta try that

go to http://www.goldmann.com/spudgun.html and check out the SP9004. wow. and I mean wow.

PFF
System Bot
dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Drive-By French Fry Splat!
Film at 11:00

Went to that site looks good but surly someone has some better photis???

Please post them HERE

If you rifle the barrell, bo you have curly Q projectiles

Is this list great or what????

mutfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mutfishSend a Private Message to mutfishDirect Link to This Post
Some people have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much free time..............
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
That is just too cool! I work in a machine shop (again), so I might try to do something like that one of these days (assuming this job lasts longer than the last! ).
BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
I made one not too long ago and boy is it fun. Click, Click, FOOOOOMP. Way fun!!!! I heard the FBI really likes these kind of fun things also. Well, maybe not as much as we do.
SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
more cool stuff...

if u can find a metal tennis ball can... wrap it in duck tape, punch a hole about 3/8 to 1/2 inch above the bottom... fill it w/gasoline to the level of the hole... insert a piece of green wick (at gun stores)... soak a tennis ball in gas & put it in... secure the can to something & light the fuse... great balls of fire.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
A spud gun sounds like fun, but this sounds like it borders on dangerous. You could poke your eye out! (Or maybe your neighbors! )
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
This is great stuff!
My wife teaches high-school chemistry. She comes up with some *truly interesting* sites. I'm at work, don't have the links, now. Stay tuned.
SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
high school chem....ahhhh
not that im a nerd or n e thing, i just like learnin stuff...

see if your wife can get some potasium perchlorate...mix it w/aluminum powder... best firecracker flash powder ive every seen... mix in some sulfur or copper or iron & make colors.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2000 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'll mention it to her. She's probably already familiar with it. (She never ceases to amaze me.)

Here's the link I was talking about... http://www2.southwind.net/~mrscienc/boom.html
I'm not sure where it came from, but it's funny as hell, nevertheless. I may have some others...

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2000 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
All i did when i was a kid with a friend was two liter soda bottles with the Works toilet bowl cleaner, which is just hydrochloric acid, and aluminum foil in pieces. Put them together close the cap and shake it up. After a few minutes, a reaction happens and gas is produced, eventually the bottle explodes.

I heard if you take a wire thats hot,using a switch to turn it on, and put it near the exhaust you can make flames.

PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2000 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
An exploding bottle of acid is not my cup of tea.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2000 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
fierospeeder--It's called a flamethrower. All you really need is a sparkplug mounted towards the rear of your exhaust. Here's a pic of one.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2000 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
There's a plan for an air gun that uses a valve from a sprinkler system someplace. You can use any compressed gas that you can regulate to less than about 100PSI. makes a Very controlable device. If driven with a small regulated CO2 tank it's extreamly portable and recycles in about 3 seconds. You can shoot as fast as you can load it.

I've seen flamer exhausts. Just don't activate it on the street. they are very illegal in many places. Fun for a show tho. I've seen one flamer that would throw a good 6-10 feet. It was more comlicated than just adding a spark plug to the exhaust for that one.

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2000 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna do the sprinkler solenoid with a friend, but never got around to it.

this is a website I found about some pranks that have been played over the years.. http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/scijokes/12.html

RICK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2000 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RICKSend a Private Message to RICKDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at this site: http://www.gunhoo.com/gunhoo/t.spud.htm
Richard Parnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2000 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
We used to jam potatos into one anothers exhaust pipes. Just don't stand behind the car when it goes.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock