I wanna be a rocket ship... by GT Bastard
Started on: 02-16-2000 10:10 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: Cooter on 02-20-2000 12:14 AM
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
HHHHHHHHHHello fellow Fiero friends. Just thought I'd drop in and ask a simple/complicated question that haunts me daily/weekly/monthly/yearly... Does anybody have any ideas as to how a person should live? I simply can't decide whether I want to be a rock star or a secretary. I dropped out of college because I wasn't social enough to have fun at parties and I was constantly feeling anxiety about being trapped there for 4 years and not having anything to REALLY be proud of when it was all finally over and done with. Instead I move 340 miles away to work for Gateway. I always wanted a job in computers and now I have it at the tender age of 19. I make good money, I have a nice apartment, I have made some friends here, but still I feel as if I'm wasting away each and every day... I'm really beginning to think I may have "problems." No matter what I do it's not enough. It seems like I feel so passionately about things and then I can't decide what I want to pursue. When(and if) I grow old, I want to be able to live with the satisfaction that I've done something extordinary for humanity, but I just don't know where to start. Just thinking about it makes adrenaline course through my body and sometimes makes me sick to my stomach. I don't want this to turn into a religious discussion, but do any of you guys feel similarly??? Got any ideas on what I can do with my life?

-Geoff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Geoff,

I commend you on your honesty. It takes a lot for a man to admit that he needs help in todays society. It is unfortunate to hear that you do not feel unfulfilled with your life. First off you're still young, you never know you could do something extraordinary next year, 10 years from now or 50 years from now. There is no way of knowing what you will be capable of at such a young age.

I am touched that you feel so strongly about making a contribution to the world. There is a joke that goes something like "I am totally against zero population growth... there are more than enough zeros already". It seems that the focus of this country/continent (for those Canucks) especially is one of self greed. We are all fighting to suceed financially at all costs to our spirituality. You on the other hand are doing just that but are failing spiritually.

I have a theory that most of the prominent names in history are some of the least important. It is usually the small guy, the worker that drives all of the great and memorable events. Much like the quarter back gets all the credit for winning the Super Bowl, he certainly couldn't do it alone. Often I must think of it this way in my career. A very small cog in a B I G wheel. What you must learn to do is see the final product and take pride in it knowing that in some small way you contributed positively to the development/manufacture etc. of that product or service. The strange thing is that regardless of how insignificant you feel there are many ways that you impact the lives of others.

Obviously this is not enough for a self-less individual such as yourself though. What I would reccomend is finding a good charity. I spent lots of time in high school working with Habitat for Humanity, the Appalacian Service Project and my churches Neighborhood Ministries. There is something that I get out of helping others that helps validate me.

In case you don't know, Habitat for Humanity is a project that has volunteers build houses for the homeless. It is amazing that when I drive by the houses that I helped build that even today, several years later I feel good about my contribution. I see tangible proof that I affected at least one life positively. Furthermore you have never met someone as appreciative as those house recipients. Most have never had anyone actually help them before. It really is amazing.

The most striking thing that I read in your message was "I don't want this to turn into a religious discussion, but do any of you guys feel similarly???". I am not quite following if you are spiritual or not. If you are not and that is your final decision I completely respect that. However, if you are or just are not involved I would suggest talking to someone that is. The problem is finding the right one. Remember that they are only flesh and blood like you and I so many may not have the perfect response.

Spirituality (any type of spirituality) plays a very important role in society. If nothing else regardless of your beliefs it gives you something to believe in and look to for answers. In the whole scheme of things we all are lost and confused about what we are really here to do.

That is why so many get into the work to succeed groove. They don't know other examples than those they see in the media, which are always the rich and famous. So the obvious answer is that $=happiness. This works for them because it gives them goals and something to work towards. The sad part is that most don't ever achieve their goals. The even sadder part is that those that do become extremely disappointed that they have dedicated their lives to an empty goal. $ is not the answer, in fact there is no clear cut answer. I would like to say "Go to church and you will be all better", but the matter of fact is that we are not all the same. While that might be the answer for some like me, it might not be the answer for you.

What I suggest to you is to do some research. This research can be simply exposing yourself to different communities, beliefs, activites, groups etc. I think that your isolation is a big part of your struggle. For the record, I did not feel comfortable in parties in college either. In fact I just don't enjoy being surrounded by people still. I do think that you just need to feel like you fit in. Once you feel a part of a group you will begin to understand exactly what you bring to the table. I would like for you to at least consider Christianity though. For me it has really turned my life around and given me something to work for. The best thing is that I can never achieve my goals and therefore will always have room for continuous improvement.

If you would like to contact me off the list feel free to do so. I will do everything in my power to help you (and anyone else for that matter) with any issues. Furthermore if you want to just talk, I would happily put our religious differences aside if they exist. I am truly concerned about you though. Don't hesitate contacting me if you think that I can help in any way.

William T. Thorn, III

Richard Parnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
GT- Best thing, sit down and set some goals.
1. You're young.
2. You're making money.
3. YOU have lots of time.

Learn to invest some money and plan what you want do do. It's a big world and no matter what anyone tells you, in this world to do things you need money. Don't make it (money) a goal it's self. Like I said you're young and you've got plenty of time.

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
Extraordinary times make extraordinary people. These are not perilous times for most of us.I personally cannot live in a city. The constant crush of people would keep my adrenaline running, and adrenaline makes me want to DO something. Another andvantage of the correct size town is that YOU make a difference. If you work on a public project both you and people you know benefit from it. Feels good to see the results of your labor.
The world is too huge, make a difference at a place you can call home.
The 'pick a goal' advice was good, I felt similar to you when young, but it was always a vague 'direction' feeling. Now I'm a borderline hermit, don't come here. Find a spot you Could be happy in and make it so. The rest will find you there.
Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
My personal View on Life:

LIVE LIFE!! LIVE LIFE!! LIVE LIFE!!!
We have one very short life, live it.

It is better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t.

Everyone has problems and you will always have problems. There is always something or someone trying to bring you down. You will have to overcome it and accept it.
Be proud of yourself regardless of your faults.
Set goals.
Set some goals that you know that you cannot achieve in you lifetime. Getting there is the fun.
If you can dream it, you can do it.
I thrive on not knowing what tomorrow will bring, that is so neat.
This is some of the motivation that keeps me going.

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
GT bastard,

Hey, we have a lot in common (including our religious beliefs, heh). I am young (18), I own a GT, and I have no idea what to do with my life. You sound like my long lost twin brother, lol.

At least you have SOME idea of what you want to do! I am just totally confused, sad, and hurt. My few good friends are all going away to college, starting their new life, and here I am. I don't know if I want to be a hermit that lives out in the mountains, or a quantum physicist. My head is in totaly shambles, I have no idea where I am going, and I have no idea where I want to go.

And things are even worse tonight because I saw some pictures of a girl who was kind of special to me, when I think we were both too young to realize what was up. Seeing the pictures was great, untill I realized that she had moved down south somewhere two years ago. I will probably never see her again, and it's killing me.

I don't care if everybody ignores this post. I just needed to vent. Thanks, Cliff

Warren

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Me too, man. I'm 18, same beliefs, I have a GT, and I'm just putzin' around right now.

Up until a few months ago, I had no direction. Just working, staying up till 4am, sleeping till 2pm, going to work at 5pm, so on, so on... and then something just clicked. I thought about it and decided that I want to go to tech school next fall for engine rebuilding and machining. Aside from my mountain bikes, the Fiero is the one real thing that I am passionate about. I realized that I really liked working on my car, and am amazed with the internal combustion engine, and automotive design in general. I hope that some day in the future I will be working on the design team of a major automobile manufacturer (preferably pontiac).

Think about what you want to do. My dad doesn't approve of my choosen course. That's fine with me. My life is mine. I'm going to live life as my experiment. It may take you a long time to figure out what you want to do. That's ok.

Go find a copy of "Walden and On the Duty of Civil Disobedience" by Henry David Thoreau. Excellent book. It really did help me find some direction. It was kind of a tough read, tho, even for me...

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
A big thank-you to all who have responded so far. I really value everyone's opinion because I feel like I know you all.
William, to clarify on the spirituality subject, I do consider myself a spiritual person. However, I don't believe in a God(I don't mean to offend anyone.) How can I explain this better? I feel "driven" by something from within, but that's about as far as I'll go. Just to make sure this isn't taken the wrong way, I don't look down upon any religions. The way I see it, if it works for a person they should pursue it.

I think I may take the advise on the charity work too. Well, it's not exactly charity that I'm thinking of but it's helping others. I used to help give womens self-defense seminars on the side with my martial arts instructor and it was very rewarding. Maybe I'll get back into it.

There's so much I feel like saying, but it's all a mess in my head right now.... It's getting late for me.. Thanks again for the comments guys.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
wow.. I thought I probably wasn't the only person like that.. you guys sound a lot like me!

I'm 19, not really sure what I want to do.. I stay up to 4am most days.. wake up at lunchtime.. work nights.. most of my friends have moved away.. I've been accepted to an electro-mechanical engineering program that starts in sept tho.. it's a robotics course.

however I don't have a GT yet, and no girlfriend either..

Shiner: your comment definitely sounds like me.. I spend most of my time alone, and I'm very interested in quantum physics.. I have an idea of where I *want* to go with my life, just not sure exactly *how* to get there. I'm currently working as a graphic artist/web designer.. but it's not really exciting. I very much prefer designing and building things.. and fixing things..

As for what my dad thinks.. he's a doctor, so I never had any intention of following in his footsteps.. even more so cause he likes Ford so much.. heh.. he thinks most of my ideas are crazy, and that I've been wasting the last 3 years of my life studying quantum physics, even though he saved an article in the newspaper yesterday that is basically what I've been trying to explain to people for almost 3 years...

I guess some people won't accept an idea until someone with a PhD after their name says it...

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like me except for the "God" part (I'm a born-again Christian, but I'm sure we all know that by now!) I work at a worthless (IMO) job where I don't contribute anything directly to anybody. I don't make alot of $$, but hopefully enough to survive. (My wifes paycheck certainly helps!) My wife works at a motel (asst. mgr) where I try to help any way I can. Unlocking doors for guests, bussing tables, painting, fixing little things, etc. Most of the time I do this off the clock (although the general mgr has no problem with paying me if I chose to be paid). I enjoy this kind of work as I can see the direct effect of helping others. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at the (distant) possibility of doing this exact job permanently (in conjunction with a possible promotion for my wife). It wouldn't pay squat, but I think it would be one of the most satisfying jobs I could imagine.
Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I forgot the mention that I go to sleep at 4am and get up after lunchtime, and that I work nights (at a local italian restaurant)
We should have a "Depressed young men with fieros" club or something. Where do you guys live? Maybe we could get together sometime and talk. I live Near Easton, Pennsylvania, which is about an hour north of Philadelphia. The having no girlfriend part really sucks too, huh? hehe

PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I am 25, and graduated from college in Summer 1998. College took me a while to complete because I spent several years feeling the same things that you guys describe. After I got my degree, I didnt find a job in the industry for another 8 months...

The only way to know for sure if you will enjoy something is to try it out for a while and see what happens.

GT Bastard - You may spend some time at your job and develop good sales skills, or you may find that it is easy for you to offer support to those having problems. Either way, if you invested some time with Gateway you might end up with an opportunity to be a manager of one of their stores. I spent 4 years working for RadioShack, and I only intended that to be a summer only job.

Standard - Excellent choice to take the dive into tech school. One way or another, you will learn a skill that you can use for your Fiero hobby, even if you dont decide that you want to pursue a career in that direction.

Darklord - The good thing about an electro-mechanical program such as that is that a certificate or degree serves as a ticket in the door to a technology job. Most companies train you to do what they want. The degree gets you in the door. I have a BSEE with a specialty in computer design. I now work for Boeing designing video systems.

Anyway, what I tried to accomplish here was a bit of encouragement. I hope I pulled it off. Good luck!

Carolina 88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carolina 88GTSend a Private Message to Carolina 88GTDirect Link to This Post
I always keep one special thought in the back of my mind each day. "I WILL NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE A CHANCE". If find something that interests me, I learn more about it. For example, I graduated highschool and pulled 7 years in the Marine Corpse as a "combat accountant" *ha. Did not want to spend my whole life in military, so I wanted a change. I always said that I wanted to work for the SBI (State Bureau of Investigation....kinda a local yocal state level FBI). Did that, worked in their computer control section. Now Im working for a local business building NT networks, computer systems blah..blah. Im sure that I will do something else eventually. I have started taking keen interest in engine and body repair....maybe work at a local grease pit one day. Of course, maybe I will be a brain surgeon who knows...Im only 30 and I still have a good 50-60 YEARS worth of living to do...thats a long time. All I can tell you is that when Im sitting in my rocker looking out the window at my grandkids kids, I will have had no regrets for not having tried something.
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
There are no definitive answers to the questions you ask...many of them you will answer yourself at a later date. When they are answered, they will retroactively make all the years that have passed make sense.

All I can add is never stop learning, never stop asking questions, and go back to school. If nothing else, college provides perspective in a lot of ways that you'll never gain otherwise. I was in school through my 30's and wondered many of the same things you're wondering about. But I couldn't be doing what I'm doing now if it weren't for the lessons I learned just by being alive.

Trust me...you will figure out what your purpose in life is. Takes longer for some, but once you figure it out, it will make everything you've experienced up to that point make sense.

RICK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RICKSend a Private Message to RICKDirect Link to This Post
Doing something in life that makes you feel good about yourself is very important. I use to volunteer at the "Wolf Sanctuary". They are a captive breading facility for endangered wolves. The most rewarding time was a few years ago they released the first Mexican Gray's back into the wild. The Mexican Gray's have not been in the "wild" for years. It was nice to know that I directly had something to do with that.
Find something you like doing and do it. Whether you do it as a hobbie or a job the self rewarding pleasure is well worth the time and effort. Good luck my friend.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'm 42, and still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.
Seriously, though, hindsight is 20-20. You will always second guess at least some of the decisions you make. All you can do is to do the *best* that you can. (And pray for guidance, if that's your thing. Helps me.)
If I had one thing to do over, I would have stayed in school longer. I have a 2 year certificate. Shoulda got the degree.
I also would have handled a couple of relationshops differently. (I won't go into details here, but just basically didn't do the right thing.) Still wonder about them, sometimes.
SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
im 24, & in your possition 2. all my life ive been good at almost everything...great at none. so i have 2 many choices. just when i think ive got it figured out... bam something happens & i change my train of thought. when i was in highschool i knew that i wanted to be an officer in the military. after a near fatal accident i had hardware in my leg (so i couldnt join the military), i just got it out so now i can join... pending a physical in april i will be a marine. but it scares me because sense that wasnt an option b4 i explored other things & found so much i am still confused. from medical research to a professional dj...what do i really want to do... hopefully time in the military & a 50k college fund will help me.

i went to art school but quite for several reasons. i had a real chance at being a pro snowboarder but once again the accident took that. btwn highschool & now ive had sooo much fun (save the accident & about 18 months of crap). but i had a chance to be free... i rave often (never done drugs), i dj, i ride my bikes, girls, dye my hair various colors, go to concerts, i used to drink a lot now every now & then... basically i have lots of fun. now the military scares me... no more dyed hair (i love doing that), no more options, no more freedom really. but i will have a sense of honor & purpose & i will see & do things most people cant even imagine. for at least 4 years i will, for the most part, know where im going & i will gain experiance on the other end of the spectrum. i will probably never be able to lead the lifestyle i do now & i will miss it a lot...but u wont be young forever & like the 1 guy in the wedding singer said (well pretty close) "nobody wants a 50 year old guy hitting on them". no offense to the older croud here but try & remember your teenz & early 20's... what did u think of older people?

basically u have time to chill, have fun, explore your options, try not to get locked into n e thing unless you are so far beyond 100% positive about it.

most people hate the song "sunscreen" by bas lerman... but i think it speaks directly to people like us... listen to it a few times & really pay attention.

piece

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this is gettin' wierd, man. especially the stuff about quantum physics.. I'm amazed by that kind of stuff. I never really did good in school unless it was a science class. I zoomed through that stuff with no problem. If the automotive stuff doesn't pan out like I'm hoping it too, then going to a real college and getting a degree in science's is my next choice.

I thought about going into the military, but decided that it wasn't for me. Having the freedom to do what I want to do is very important to me, and I know I wouldn't cut it in the military.

I just try to focus on having fun now. I visit my friends in college, party, change my hairstyle and color nearly every week (red now), have a girlfriend(1 year 2months.. wow). I work nights, too. warehouse job, boring as heck, but good money...

It sure would be cool to get together, but I'm in Minnesota, twin cities. oh well.. good luck to everyone!

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I've found a lot of interesting things in quantum physics that lead me to believe that reality doesn't actually work the way we think it does. I'm terrible with math, so I just don't have the grades or the skills to get a degree in physics.. most of what I know, I've learned on my own.. a lot of the concepts I've just understood all my life, and I'm just learning more about them now.

I don't really fit in anywhere unless it involves work.. when I'm meeting with a client (web/graphic designer) I don't discuss things like personal opinions, unless it's related to the project. I'm very eccentric.. often referred to as a "wacko".
I don't dye my hair, in fact it's a very boring haircut.. about 3/4" long. almost a military cut, but not as short. I even dress the same every day.. hey, it worked for Einstein and Inspector Gadget....
One less thing to think about each day. heh..

I mostly work nights, except when clients schedule meetings in the morning, when afternoons aren't convenient for them...

(is it just me, or is this comment really disjointed? I'm very absent minded too)

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
DJRice--So you work at Boeing designing video systems, huh? Now I know who to blame for the lousy in-flight movies.
cobra427

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cobra427Send a Private Message to cobra427Direct Link to This Post
GT Bastard,- try this formular.- Seek first the Kingdom,and all else will be added.-- Easy to say, but difficult to do,but its the only thing that will give you lasting comfort and a feeling of accomplishment See if M/Man, Sage,and others don't agree with that. ooops I almost forgot Will3. Sorry Will3

[This message has been edited by cobra427 (edited 02-17-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
RZURCTN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RZURCTNSend a Private Message to RZURCTNDirect Link to This Post
Join the Marines!!! That's what I did when I was a Junior in high school! I made my decision and haven't looked back since. 7+ yrs later I have a wife and 2 kids, a dog, couple of goldfish, my Fiero, a family car and a Porsche in the garage. Only 13 yrs until I retire at the ripe old age of 38!

Geez! I sound like a frickin' recruiter! Somebody slap me! I make chump change, barely scrape by, have to listen to some a$$hole of a supervisor all damn day, pick up my family and move whenever they tell me to whereever they tell me to, try to set an example for a community that snickers at me behind my back, I have a 30% increase in work load with fewer workers and a decreased budget that was voted to me by a country that thinks I'm a friggin' programmed machine to guard their terd-sucking "political interests". And the worst thing is..............I volunteered for it!

You see, life depends on how you choose to view it. I really love my job. The ideals and responsibility that come with it gives one a sense of purpose. The job I do today will benefit the Marines of tomorrow. Tomorrow belongs to my children, and I want it to be safe for them too!
'Nuff said!

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
cobra427, I think we all remember what happened the last time there was a religious discussion on the forum..

I suggest we refrain from turning this discussion into another religious one....

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2000 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I want to be able to add some seed of wisdom to this discussion, but I think I will just kinda lay out a bio/testimonial, as I am far from having this life thing figured out. At 18, I did not have much hope for a future. I was raised in a very fundamentalist Christian upbringing. I don't mean to paint all folks like that with the same brush, but I grew up with a firm belief that my life was insignificant due to the world could (and would) end any day. Add to this mix the yuppie culture (greed is good) of the late 80's and you wind up with one disaffected youth. I turned to drugs. I never became a junkie, never was arrested, and was always able to keep some form of menial job. When I was 24, my 28 year old brother died from an intentional overdose. He left behind a beautiful wife and little girl. He felt that his life was wasted in this world, that he could not find his place. I am 33 now. My niece is in highschool now. My sis in law is an ICU nurse. I have a career, a fiance, (and a GT).
Where am I going with this? I only want to tell my younger brothers that although life seems without purpose or direction, it is a gift that you have been given. Worrying about the future, regretting the past, comparing yourself to the success of others, all of these are a waste of time and can only hurt you. True, without goals, you will go nowhere, but you must live in the present. Today, you can live. You can embrace life for all that it is worth. Don't dull yourself with excess of drugs and alchohol.
Do what makes you happy. Want to do quantum physics? Then bust out with it! Want to rescue cocker spaniels? God love ya for it.
We only have this one go around, and you won't know what you've missed when it's gone. I realize that these are nothing like the sage words of WT3, but hey, I'm just a cat.
DJRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
Monkey, If you have suggestions for the in-flight entertainment, I'll try to pass them on, but my work is CCTV applications at Cape Canaveral.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
DJ... I usta do CCTV (back in the days of vidicon tubes). Had to find something else. I hate ladders, and people would pick some of the most absurd places to put cameras.
(Sorry about the off-topic comment.)
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
CCTV??? Closed Caption Television? What about one in the womens dressing room? Just a thought.
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Monkey,

Closed Circuit... but a good idea none the less!

William T. Thorn, III

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Duh to me!!! I was thinking "closed circuit" when I typed "closed caption". I have closed caption on my mind as that's the only way I can watch TV since I'm blind.
DRH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Geoff,

It sounds like one thing that is important to you is to do something that will live beyond your own mortality. My advice is to work with kids. Any positive influence you have on someone younger will definitely give you a feeling of accomplishment. Your martial arts background might provide a very good opportunity to do just that.

David.

BENGAL4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BENGAL4Send a Private Message to BENGAL4Direct Link to This Post
Hey all you young guys. Either stay in school or go to school. The one tough thing about being 18 - 24, is the decisions you make now, affect you the rest of your life. I left college my freshman year because I missed my girlfriend. We broke up 6 months later. If I would have stayed, I would be coaching football and teaching instead of selling chemicals.

As for the empty feeling inside, I belive that space is reserved for the spirit of God. We try to fill that space with many things,cars, women sex drugs and rock & roll, money. You ever wonder why you've read about millionaire's blowing their brains out when it looks like they have everything? It's because that money and things, can't fill that void. Just my .02 worth.

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Bill--Ditto on all of that. I didn't leave college after my freshman year because of a girl, but it amounted to the same.
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2000 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Great discussion,

I'm 31 and still am not sure what direction to take, so don't think just you late teen and early 20's guys are the only ones in that boat. I have a B.S in computer science and am a software engineer making good dough, have a couple of Fiero GT's, have a part time job as a C-130 Flight Engineer in the California Air National Guard, own a couple of houses, have a speedboat, a killer 72 Ford Bronco and on and on. The bottom line is it doesn't matter what you have or have achieved, human nature dictates you to strive for something more or different. I am at a point in my life where I am thinking about simplifying, getting rid of a lot of stuff and maybe moving to the mountains. Something I have finally figured out at 31 is this, it's people who make life good, not the money or stuff you accumulate. It seems like most people work a job they don't really like or hate for fancy cars and houses, etc.

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2000 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Geez, everybody really has a lot of good stuff to offer. If nothing else, it's nice to know that there are others who feel similarly. peace everyone...

-Bastard

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2000 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
GTB, I am about to be 30 and still have the same questions as you. About 10 years ago, I was just loafing around in a junior college wasting time. Then something clicked in my warped head. I transfered to a "real" college and got a BS in elementary education. I am in my 5th year of teaching- spent 2 years as a kindergarten teacher and the rest in second grade. The pay stinks, the time required off the clock stinks and summer vacations are not that long. But when those kids look up at you and you can see that the "little light bulb" has come on in their heads, it makes it all worth while. I love my kids, and this is my way of touching the future. Besides, I am the only male teacher in a school with over 40 more teachers. Life is good. . . oops, I am a married man. Shame on me! The good thing is, in only 20 more years I can retire.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock