Super VHS Inputs by burdell1
Started on: 02-16-2000 06:51 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Monkeyman on 02-18-2000 11:48 PM
burdell1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burdell1Send a Private Message to burdell1Direct Link to This Post
I have a 25" TV with no S-VhS inputs and I was planning on buying a DVD player. However, I've heard that if you have the SVHS input it makes the picture a lot better. Is there any way if a person is electronically inclined (like my roommate) that a person can install one? I can't afford a new TV at the moment...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
there is no practical way to upgrade most TV's that don't have either/both SVHS or line inputs. Line in would be eisier than SVHS to add.

For line you have to find where in your particular TV the demodulated feed from the tunner is. Even then you have to add a switch and the appropriate internal wiring. Not a project of the novice at all. Very dangerous to work in TV cabinets.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
There's a huge difference in quality between RF, CV and S-Video, the latter being by far the best.

Ogre is right - if your tv doesn't have CV or S-Video in, there's not a lot you can do and you're stuck with RF.

mutfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2000 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mutfishSend a Private Message to mutfishDirect Link to This Post
And a step above s-video is component video.......
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2000 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Ive got all the audio and visual stuff in my room. 32" sony tv and pioneer 5.5 surround sound, pioneer dvd and 101 cd player. Sorry not updated for 6 channel surround yet.

The DVD should come in three different outlets for video. Its either component the three colors that makes up tv, S-video, and RCA, thats the cable with the red white and yellow cable plugs.

Your best thing to do is hookup the RCA to the 25" tv and you wont notice the difference between s video or rca. You can buy monster cables which are expensive and it will improve the picture. S video is more noticable on tvs bigger then 27".

The picture quality from dvd is great but you also want the sound. Theres also three different types of sound and you want a new receiver to provide them. Unless you buy a DVD with its own dolby processor. You got the crappy RCA sound, next is coax digital, and the best right now is optical sound.
Optical cable is about 40 bucks for a meter.
Another hobby of mine and it gets expensive, i probably could have finished my vw bug restoration.

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
I assume you are talking of a DVD-ROM with tv outs, not a stand alone player, most DVD movies have software in them now.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I agree with everyone. My TV has RCA inputs but no S-video. I use the RCA jacks and I can't tell much of a difference between my picture and the one my father-in-law has on his DVD/60" big screen/S-video set up.
burdell1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for burdell1Send a Private Message to burdell1Direct Link to This Post
Actually we are talking about a stand alone player...
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2000 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
After re-reading this thread, I've decided that you guys are confusing me. Are we talking about the same things? I've heard: Super VHS (which has nothing to do with DVD), S-Video (which is a way to connect TV, stereo, DVD, VCR, etc), DVD-ROM (basically a DVD/CD-ROM drive for your computer), and a stand alone DVD player. If you have a stand alone player, it is one with a small screen. This way you can watch your DVD movies without a separate TV.

burdell1--Now that you have all of this new info, what is your question?

burdell1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burdell1Send a Private Message to burdell1Direct Link to This Post
Monkeyman, even though it says S-VHS inputs, it is actually just an input for any hardware (DVD players, camcorders, SVHS VCRS) that has the jack. Much like RCA cables do not have to be used only with RCA brand equipment. My question is/was if a TV doesn't have on of these jacks to begin with, can a person add one (since the lines of resolution are supposedly suppose to increase if you use this jack as opposed to just the RCA ones.)
Does that make sense?

p.s. when i refer to a stand alone player, I mean one that is not a computer one. One that is hooked up to a TV.

[This message has been edited by burdell1 (edited 02-18-2000).]

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Can I hook any of this stuff to my Dumont?
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Dumont you???
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2000 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
JVC sells super vhs vcrs, about 200 and more in price. Its suppose to be higher in resolution then standard vcrs.
The post above is what the common stand alone dvd players use for connections. Sony,pioneer, magnovox, etc..
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, you can't play or record standard VHS tapes in a Super VHS unit. You'd think, for the money, you could use both.
M King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M KingSend a Private Message to M KingDirect Link to This Post
I have heard DVD's have a low framerate and they can get jumpy in high action scenes, is this true? Because I am thinking of getting a DVD soon. Thanks

[This message has been edited by M King (edited 02-18-2000).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2000 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Never had a problem with mine. I've got a unit for the TV and a DVD-ROM drive for my computer and both of them look great no matter what movie I'm watching.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock