Motor oil for Mustangs :) by dogtired
Started on: 02-08-2000 05:34 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: fierospeeder on 02-14-2000 11:20 PM
dogtired

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2000 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Changed the oil in 4 vehicles sunday (Oh what fun?)
What does everyone do with used Motor oil???
I give mine to my brother-inn law who burns it in an oil furnance in his garage!
Just curious if the rest of you gave it to FORD owners
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2000 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Dog,

Most auto parts stores take it here. They do not even charge for the service. Of course at my college house we would use it to keep growth off of the fence line... OOPS! What I meant to say was that I knew some guys in college that did that and they were amazed at how well it worked.

William T. Thorn, III

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2000 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Same as what W.T. said, any area AutoZone, Pep Boys, or other parts place will take it. Antifreeze is different. I have not been able to find a place to take mine yet. Can't get rid of ATF either.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I thought you were supposed to put antifreeze in a bucket and use it for mouth wash?

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
formula,

Actually I put it in a bucket and fill the my dog's bowls with it. They LOVE it! Say, do you know what the life expectancy of a Golden Retriever is?

William T. Thorn, III

mutfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mutfishSend a Private Message to mutfishDirect Link to This Post
Hey willy the 3rd, don't even joke around about that...you just never know what kind of dumb ass that might give that a try...
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2000 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
We should have some protest or something to the state or nationwide. There should be recognized places for antifreeze recycling. I know some people put it in the sewer. I know my pepboys takes oil, i have to ask them if they take antifreeze. Right now i have a couple of jugs sitting in my garage. If more places had signs we recycle anti freeze, less people would be draining it in storm sewers.
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
ONE. Just put the atf and or antifreeze in with your oil then dump it at the local place. And B. My friends dog did die from antifreeze poisoning. It has a sweet taste/smell that attracts them. You can joke about people (including me) all you want but when it comes to an animal I draw thew line.,
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure that William didn't mean any harm, but yeah, I agree with Mut and Tom. None of us should even kid around about something like that. You just never know how someone might interpret it. Some bonehead might take William's joke seriously and end up killing their own pet.

William, as much as I'm against the deletion of posts, I don't think any of us would mind if you deleted your last one.

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
We had a very bad summer of yellowjackets (baldfaced hornets) and antifreeze was one of the few things that helped. I filled a large wash pan about six inches deep in andtifreeze and set it out side. All the bees in the immediate area went over to fight for the right to die in the pan. In three hours there was over two inches of dead bees in a twentyfour inch wide pan.
Its green, it smells good, and it kills them dead. Great stuff!

[This message has been edited by Phaeton (edited 02-10-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen,

We are all adults here. Let's be realistic.

William T. Thorn, III
(owner of 4 dogs)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Friend of mine made a run to the local landfill, recently. He asked if they had the facilities to take partially emptied cans of paint. The guy at the landfill told him, "No, but the next time you come back, bury them in the middle of the other stuff you bring in, and nobody will see them."
Your tax dollars at work.
four50four

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for four50fourClick Here to visit four50four's HomePageSend a Private Message to four50fourDirect Link to This Post
just an observation, but it seems when people talk about people dieing, its funny, but when animals die, its a horrible autrausity (sp?)
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
its a good thing I spit it out then, If my breath smells like that it might attract bees to my mouth
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

William, for the sake of your dogs, and for any children you may have in the future, let's hope that no adults in your neighborhood leave antifreeze sitting around in a bowl or a bucket. It does happen.

Whether you agree with the apprehension expressed in this thread or not, I believe I'm being realistic with my concerns.

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Phaeton, I'll have to try that with the yellow jackets. In the summer/fall they drive me nuts in the garage coming after the soda cans out there for recycling.

Richard Parnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2000 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
(Long story but funny) The other topic about drinking anti-freeze and spitting it out reminded me of something that happened a few years ago on our local golf course. I had bought a can of soda from a vendor the hole before and had set the can down to putt out. I picked the can up and as I was walking to the next hole I put the can to my mouth, tilted my head way back and proceeded to take a huge swig. Suddenly I felt a stinging sensation in my mouth( let me take an aside here, this was about the time that there had been a reported incident on the news about someone drinking a soda or something and had gotten jabbed in the mouth when a syringe that had been maliciously placed in the container went into their mouth.) So the first thought that went through my head was "SYRINGE" then in the next instant I realized that what jabbed me was a bee that had crawled into the can while I had it set down.
All this time my buddies were walking up in front of me and had not seen what was going on. Picture this, one second I had the can tilted way up taking a swig and the next I was spitting and sputtering and stomping the bee on the ground, all the while the can was still in the upended position over my head, which was now tilted down towards the ground to see what I had spit out. Well, about that time my friends had turned around to see what all the commotion was and there I was cussing and stomping the ground with a can of soda pouring over my head. They all fell down laughing. I wish had had a film of that for Americas' Funniest videos, it would have won hands down (or up in this case). I was lucky actually that I hadn't swalled the bee and had it sting me in the throat
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
THX Monkey
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
I know it was a joke. But some might not. I thought the medication thing was real though. I take some psych drugs But I guess you could tell that already
PFF
System Bot
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Richard,

Great story... I'm still smiling

David.

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I got a chuckle out of WT3's joke, but the others have a point too. Don't assume everyone reading this is rational or that they are adults either. Anyone in the world with internet access can read this Forum, including kids. In fact several of the Forum members are under the age of 18, which technically means they are not adults. As a pet owner and animal lover, if I had made a statement like that, I would of followed it up by saying that I was joking (even though it should be obvious that I was joking). Just my personal opinion.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I would be willing to bet that if someone acutally took the joke for truth, if they read this far down, they would realize it was a joke, and not to feed anti-freeze to their pet.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Could you put it,(anti-freeze), in a spray bottle clearly labled and maybe even put up where only YOU know where to get it and use it for the bugs? Then there would be no pan or bucket sitting around. It is messy, but we used to use old motor oil to spray the frames and underbodies on our mudders and field trucks, or even old daily drivers,(in moderation of course), sure slows the rust down. Not suggesting anybody DO this, am just "making conversation"? I guess the modern day version is,"Don't try this at home!"
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Were you joking about joking monkeyman?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
By Federal Law,,,,, All autoshops are required to accept used oil and lead bateries. Most K-marts and Wall-marts will take used lead batteries.

Check local salvage yards. Some of them will take used antifreeze. They put it thru the recycle machine with the rest. Some yards even sell recycled anti freeze but it's only slightly cheaper than new most of the time.

In Delaware we also have oil "igloo" recovery units at some public recycle sites.

Do Not mix antifreeze with oil and deliver it to a recycle. This is a crime acording to what information I currently have. Many autoshops are now required to log and inspect returned oil. It varies by state.

I have to check but I recall that it is legal to put small volumes of antifreeze into the sanitary sewer system in some areas. It is NOT legal to dump it in a storm sewer anywhere.

For more informations on recycle rules and locations in the USA check out both the US EPA and your state web sites. state web sites are usually www.state.XX.us where XX is your states postal code.

For example The Delaware Solid Waste Authority has a roving collection of all kinds of house hold hazardous waste. It's available in various areas on diferant Saterdays from may to november.

for cars they take,

antifreeze
auto batteries
degreasers
waste fuels — gasoline, kerosene, used motor oil mixed with other fuels

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-11-2000).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Heh,heh... this is getting to be rather funny. M-man comes to William's defence and in doing so, demonstrates the very point that several of us have already made. Our concern is that some dolt will read William's joke about giving antifreeze to dogs and possibly misinterpret it. M-man comes along and states: "He'd never do anything like that for real." M-man, what the heck are you talking about? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was suggesting for one second that William would put antifreeze in his dog's bowl. You have misinterpreted our posts. The possibility of a post being misinterpreted is what we were raising the alarm about in the first place. Thanks for proving our point.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome! Happy to do it. (BTW--I give up)

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 02-11-2000).]

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
What happens if you have a little bit of oil mixed in the anti-freeze you want to get rid of? I know the oil floats and I could just scoop it off, but the problem is I'm lazy. That would require putting the stuff in a big wide open container... I have checked a dozen places here in the last few months. No one will take old anti-freeze and no-one knows who will take it. I've saved up 4 gallons of the stuff. Another 2 gallons of ATF. You know, we try to do our part, but next time I head north...
PFF
System Bot
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2000 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
Bug Spray, my favorite is clorinated brake kleen, kills bees in under .1 seconds and leaves no residue. Do not use on rubber and some plastics. I only use it to take them out of the air. Yes I'm allergic and live in high density bee area.
mutfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2000 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mutfishSend a Private Message to mutfishDirect Link to This Post
Ogre is right,in my local radiator shop there was a large sign from the EPA stating that antifreeze in quanities of less than 55 gallons could be dumped in the sanitary sewer.I don't know if that still applies,that was a few years ago....
stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2000 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
A bee in the mouth sounds terribly painfull. I had a cricket crawl into my beer. I was a passenger in my buddies mustang when I felt that bug on my tongue trying to run. I'm sure glad the window was down, not that it would have changed my responce because I've never spit anything out so fast in my life! YUK!:}
My buddie wouldn't have laughed so much if that window was up.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2000 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Nothing scares me! (except bugs!) Anyone ever see the Indiana Jones movie with the "bug room"? I ralphed when I saw that. The rest of the movie was cool, though.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2000 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
told you monkeys kewl. I was a kid when that movie was out. you see those footlong centipedes and freak out. Some of the bugs i have no idea what they are. Some bugs i dislike and some i like. Im not afraid of bees lightning bugs, grasshoppers, crickets,. Small spiders are icky to me, the big ones with hair are okay, centipedes, millipedes, some beatles, anything on my back thats crawling when im in the woods.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock