Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What sports do we Fiero owners watch/play?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What sports do we Fiero owners watch/play? by Gokart
Started on: 02-05-2000 05:33 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Patrick on 02-11-2000 07:46 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
My favorite is HOCKEY! Any kind....ice/roller/street. I was a ice hockey goalie in high school and still skate when the ponds are frozen over, like the last couple of weeks. I play roller in the summer with my three sons in an enclosed court. I love baseball as well and was a 2nd baseman/catcher in high school. I love the spring when I get to take the boys to the grounds to get ready for Babe Ruth/Little league tryouts. Don't care much for basketball, too much scoring to keep up with and I know I'll get a ration for saying I don't like football because it's BORING! It's the reverse of hockey....they play for 6 seconds then take 5 minutes to set back up again! Bruins fans haven't had much to get excited about since the Cam Neely days and the Red Sox.......1918! I think 2000 will be their year!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jhogans

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhogansSend a Private Message to jhogansDirect Link to This Post
Basketball, Football, baseball, tennis.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Football, street hockey, and paintball. Paintballing is by far my favorite(and most expensive). Can't wait to get some warmer temps, I only play when it is warm(50+ degrees).
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
I play a Japanese sport called Kendo. It's basically Japanese-style fencing. I'm not really a fan of American sports though.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Being a Canadian, I naturally enjoy hockey. Although I'm now 44, <sigh>, I still play at a recreational level. Interestingly enough, I play on a blind ice hockey team. Yes, you read correctly, BLIND. (I used capital letters for those of you who may be visually impaired. ) Now before I start fielding questions about how do I drive my Fiero, etc, let me add that my vision is fine. On a blind hockey team, there can be two sighted players on the ice (per team) at any time, playing any position except goal. The puck is hollow, made of metal, and has a ball bearing inside which makes the puck sound like a cowbell when it's moving. Of course, when it stops moving, it's quiet, and hence the need for some sighted players to be on the ice. We just had a short demonstration a week ago between periods at GM Place here in Vancouver at a Canuck - Black Hawks game. It's the second time we've done that there. Geez, are those TV lights ever bright when you're on the ice!

Gokart, you probably already know that Cam Neely grew up in this area (Vancouver) and was also traded by the Canucks to Boston.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I guess my favorite sport is Winston Cup racing and drag racing. Pretty much anything that goes fast, I like to watch.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Patrick I gotta try that blind hockey sometime! It sounds pretty interesting and fun! I'll look for you the next time the Bruins play the Cunucks. Cam Neely (plus 87 1st round pick) for Barry Pederson was the biggest steal in NHL history. I had my hopes up too high last year when he tried to make a comeback and just couldn't. I had to go to a wedding reception a few months back in Boston and there he was walking around downtown with a golf club over his shoulder! He does alot of charity work and has a foundation for children with diseases called the "Cam Neely House". He's a bigger person off ice than he is on. I hope the B's retire his no.8 soon.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Gokart, glad to hear that Cam is "a bigger person off ice than he is on". How many modern day professional athletes (active or retired) can you say positive things like that about?
BENGAL4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2000 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BENGAL4Send a Private Message to BENGAL4Direct Link to This Post
Playing - I still play softball. Bowl, 2 nights per week & golf occasionally.

Coach - I coach my girls in slo-pitch softball. They will make the switch to fast-pitch when they reach 13. I created a slo-pitch batting cage in my basement for them. I hung a canvas tarp from the I beam, put 2 smaller ones overhead, to protect the joists, and put a 6' piece of angle steel, over the I beam, to act as a track for the ball. 1 stands behind to load the balls as the other hits. It works great. I also umpire fast and slo-pitch all summer. It's a good source of Fireo needs income.

Watch - Of course the NFL is my favorite. I have been going to Bengal games since I was 12(I'm 42 now). I try to make at least 2 road games a year. Even though they are not very good, I still enjoy it. We try and go to Reds games although I used to go alot before the strike of 95. If we get Ken Griffey Jr, we will go more. Not big on basketball and hockey. My wife is happy about that.

Gokart, are the SOX fans over the 75 series yet?

William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2000 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
Football - college and professional. I never played but I sure like to watch. Of course watching the Packers these days is getting to be like watching the Cubs is for people in Chicago - sometimes painful.

[This message has been edited by William Federle (edited 02-06-2000).]

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2000 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I'm into competitive pistol shooting although I wouldn't call my scores competitive. Due to sore elbows and shoulders etc. I now stick to .22 indoors, used to be big into hand gun sihouettes and pin matches.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2000 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
We're well over 75 BENGEL4! It's 86 that hurts still. I liked the Reds almost as much as the sox back in 75. Hard not to with Bench, Rose, Morgan, Concepcion. In 86 we REALLY should've won (thank you Bill Buckner). Our slogan song goes: I....HATE NEW YORK!
Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2000 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I go to the 12 Hours Sebring every year to watch. (drink beer & camp out)
This year it is the weekend before the Daytona Fiero Weekend.
If I’m not playing in a sport I cannot watch it. It drives me crazy. (until I have children)
Is eating a sport? I think I would be in the PRO status by now.
Sports I like to play are football, basketball, and roller hockey.
Baseball is boring unless you're the catcher or pitcher, needs a pitch clock.
BENGAL4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BENGAL4Send a Private Message to BENGAL4Direct Link to This Post
Gokart- I was rooting for the SOX in the 86 series. I can't stand the Mets or any other sports team from New York. The Mets that year were very arrogant, with their home run curtain calls and the smirks on their faces. Do you remember that woman who sat behind home plate. She would make a rolling motion with her arms whenever the SOX were up to bat. It drove me crazy. You gotta feel for Billy Bucs. A great career and all he is remembered for is that error. Cooperstown will be fun to watch this year with Tony Perez and Carlton Fisk being enshrined. It is the 25th anniversary of that great World Series. I was a senior in high school then, boy does time fly.

[This message has been edited by BENGAL4 (edited 02-07-2000).]

88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTSend a Private Message to 88GTDirect Link to This Post
Cooter,

I would have to agree with you. I'm in to Winston Cup and sometimes watching BGN Races. I like all kinds of racing, but primarily stock car, and sprint car, and indy car, and anything else that goes fast.

I guess I like them all!

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I watch regularly (in season) is the NFL. I watch extreme sports occasionally. This weekend I watched a snowmobile race that was pretty neat.

I used to play paintball, but havent had the time for that in a while.

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
NASCAR and any other kind of automotive racing and motorcycle/ATV racing.
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
I enjoy going to Appalachian State Football and basketball games, like to watch college and pro football (i'm a Dolphin Fan, so attendance is a bit difficult, but I do go to Panther games occaisionally). I also like hockey (Edmonton Oiler's fan... see above reason), and any kind of motor racing EXCEPT NASCAR! I cannot stand nascar, it requires no talent whatsoever! I have seen drivers eat big macs and smoke ciggs, while driving... come on now!

I am on the list for tickets to the USGP at Indy, and will attend at leat one cart race and one American Le Mans series race this year (again the logistics thing, makes it difficult).

As for sports that I enjoy doing myself... I love to Mountain Bike, sport fish and play Gran Tourismo 2 on the playstation!

Ditz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ditz88GTClick Here to visit Ditz88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ditz88GTDirect Link to This Post
Hockey, Hockey, and more HOCKEY!!
Richard Parnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
I used to surf but it got too crowded and obnoxious. So now I golf (again). Here in Hawaii I can golf the year round, whoopee!
Robert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2000 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
Tennis: I'm a USTA rated 4.5 league player. I usually play about 3 times a week, the weather out here in California lets us play outdoors year around. Best player I every played was some guy at Club Med who kicked my butt in 2 sets. Turned out he had once played in the US Open. He played at a much different level than you average player. :-)

Robert

PFF
System Bot
SpeedPhreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2000 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedPhreakClick Here to visit SpeedPhreak's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpeedPhreakDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE SPORTS...

have played/do play/will play some again in organized competiton (including highschool & juior high).... football, swimming, rugby(1 of my favorites), kickboxing(another favorite), soccer, baseball, basketball, track, points fighting (kenpo/tae kwon do), & tennis.

plan on competiting in... freestyle snowboarding & motorcycle road racing.

watching... football, rugby, kickboxing, ne type of motorsports, female mud wrestling (just playin... jeez ), & pretty much everything except i only like baseball & basketball at the field/court.

ITA_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2000 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITA_FIEROSend a Private Message to ITA_FIERODirect Link to This Post
Racing and competitive rifle shooting. I've race mostly circle tracks, but in the last 4-5 years I've gotten more interested in road courses (though I'm not particularly good on them). As for shooting, mostly extreme long range stuff(500-1,000 yards).
Bill C.
GWMORGAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GWMORGANSend a Private Message to GWMORGANDirect Link to This Post
Table tennis, table tennis and...table tennis
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

GW, I always figured you'd be more of a ping-pong kinda guy...
four50four

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for four50fourClick Here to visit four50four's HomePageSend a Private Message to four50fourDirect Link to This Post
being still in high school, sports are a pretty big thing. I play linebacker and some wideout for the school. I also play rugby, which is an amazing sport. almost went to ireland this year, but had a craving for a snowmobile, so my ireland trip got postponed for 3 years.
GWMORGAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2000 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GWMORGANSend a Private Message to GWMORGANDirect Link to This Post
Patrick...Why's that?
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I tried out for wrestling and track in high school, but I sucked. Finally "lettered" in tennis, but I don't play anymore. I love watching hockey and am a fan of the local Topeka minor league team.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2000 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

GW, I'm just being silly. You called it table tennis, so I called it ping-pong. Someone's already mentioned we're all suffering from cabin fever.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock