Started on: 01-31-2000 09:41 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Sage on 02-01-2000 09:21 AM
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2000 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Hi to everyone. Have a question about engine and car-tranny compatability. I know that back in the 50's-60's, chevy started with the 265v8 then the 283, the 327, the 302,the 305,the 307,the350 and the small block 400. These all used basically the same block with different bores and piston/rod/crank combinations. They would usually all bolt to the same tranny and interchange in any car that had any one of them, without major alterations. Now my question; do a 2.8 a 3.1 a 3.2 and 3.4 fall into the same catogory? More to the point, will a 3.4 bolt up to the tranny in a car that came with a 2.8? Any information provided will be appreciated. Also am looking for sites that sell these engines. Somebody passed one on some time ago in the fiero section. I think they said the engines were from cars that had v8 conversions done on them. TIA for any info anybody has.

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 01-31-2000).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2000 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
The 2.8. 3.1, and 3.4 V6 60 degree engines all will physically bolt up to the same tranny. However, they also made rear wheel drive versions and front wheel drive versions of these engines. For a total bolt in swap, you have to use a FWD engine, otherwise you'll need to modify the starter mounting location.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Batboy; Thanks for the info, that's what I thought the situation was. BTW, the car in question is not a fiero, it is an 88 Baretta, which originally had a 2.8, now has a 3.1 and is destined for yet another swap. Just wanted to see if the 3.4 is a likely candidate. Does anybody know what if any differances there are between the engines for the fiero and any other gm product with the same equipment?(FWD cars) I wondered about the water pump placement and does your point about the starter still apply? Again, if anybody knows the link to the site that had these engines available, would appreciate the info. Do the heads and intake-exhaust manifolds interchange on the v6's like they did on the small blocks? TIA
batboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Most of the 3.4 you'll find will have the starter on the wrong side for the FWD cars. They are making a new FWD 3.4, but I don't know anything about it and it will have the new generation ECM and fuel injection anyway.

Next is the differences between the V6's with cast iron heads and the ones with aluminum heads. Basically, if you use the aluminum heads, you have to use the pistons, intake manifold, ECM, and maybe even the DIS system that go along with it.

Lots of old threads discussing all this stuff here on the Forum. It's a little more confusing than the ol' Chevy small blocks.

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a bunch Batboy, I will spend some time doing searches. Appreciate your response and the info provided. As with everything else,nothins like it used to be!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock