Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Renea's first engine swap... '86 SE... 2.8L - 3.4L (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Renea's first engine swap... '86 SE... 2.8L - 3.4L by Halcyon25
Started on: 05-27-2011 04:44 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 09-12-2012 01:48 AM
Halcyon25

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post
So no takers 'aeh... Fiero store hasent replied to my email yet... Im not trying to belittle the store or anything, Im just trying to find out what that part is actually for and if I can simply send it back to get the right one...

and on to todays work...
Started off with jacking the car up and setting her down on a kart I borrowed from work. Then I pulled her out into the drive way and began to drill out the rusted battery box... It took a few minutes but it finally came out...

next I took my high preasure nozzle and sprayed out the trunk and engine bay to get most of the crud out of 'em. I dryed the big areas with a towel and sprayed it with Isopropyl Alcohol after to help make sure there was no mosture in the tight places, the rest of the water I let the sun get...
While the car dried I finished putting the left side strut back together...

After the car was dry and pushed back into the garage, I sprayed down the rear window with glass cleaner, removed the Q2 sticker, and placed my new graphic...
Fresh from Fiero Sails...

On top of that I also recived the fire shield template from Fiero Sails... They both look great, Thanks again Fiero Sails...

More tomorrow...

Chris

Edit: omg, its about time... Page 2 ownage...

[This message has been edited by Halcyon25 (edited 09-10-2011).]

IP: Logged
Halcyon25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:
Light them on fire ....use a propane torch ... worked for me... but if you need to keep them well not sure you can get them out clean and re-use them without damage...
Danyel

Got my hands on a torch last night and gave it a try a few minutes ago... Very interesting, It was alot easier then I was thinking it would be... Thanks Danyel
One of them is done and I'll be taking it into the shop today to give it a good cleaning...

Chris
Halcyon25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post
Sorry no progress pics, just a gental bump to keep this out of archives... Been pretty busy with work getting ready for a training Op so I havent done to much with the car but I do have a clutch and am ready to bolt everything together and put it on the cradle once I get back...

The End Is Near...

Chris
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Look forward to seeing more updates from you in the future when you get back to her...

Robert
Halcyon25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post
So... Where was I...
I guess since this is related to this project I wont bother starting a new topic... so, on to the discussion.

Im not really sure how to ask this but, If I were to reuse the 3.4's original ECU,
what would I need on the engine to make it work in a 2.8 chassis?
what does the 3.4's ecu need from the 2.8's chassis to work?
can is be as simple as creating an adapter harness between the chassis and ecu?
and please, be as detailed as possible...

Thanks for the help

Chris
Halcyon25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post
So no takers 'eh... well to late, Decided to go with the 7730 ecu. I got Ryan from gmtuner.com reprograming the ECM, should be back in my hands next weekend if shipping dosent get fudged up and Im talking with phonedawgz to have a new'ish harness made. I finally had a break from life and the Army to focus On Renea, so I took the chance to clean out the engine bay and get it ready to be painted tomorrow.

Edit: Oops... I forgot to trow away the Kleenex that were used...

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Halcyon25 (edited 03-17-2012).]

crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
You could be the only one who has ever attempted to use all the original Camaro stuff on this engine. This'll be interesting to watch for sure. Probably no significant power gains, but the 7730 is a better way to go anyway.

Did you ever decide how to deal with your block overdrilling problem? Best way would have been to use helicoils, since it's very unlikely you'll find an oversize starter bolt.

------------------
- Electron Blue '88 GT ZZ430 RPFI V8 5-speed (430hp) {Construction Zone}
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed w/cammed 3.4 (160hp)
Keeper of the 3.4 swap pages {OHV} {DOHC}

Halcyon25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon25Send a Private Message to Halcyon25Direct Link to This Post
ya but the longer I work on this the more I understand why everyone reuse's most of the 2.8 stuff... so unfortunetly this build wont be as different as I thought, I have already started cleaning and readying some of the old 2.8 parts.
For the issue with the starter hole, I plan on running down to our local Nuts & Bolts shop and see if they have any bolts long enough, hopes are high though they have had every bolt I came in asking for sofar.

As for todays update... I got the engine bay painted and a couple of those thingy's on the rear eng bay wall cleaned and painted as well...

Looking at the forward passenger side engine bay

looking at rear driver side engine bay

The pictures were from my phone so they dont do justice... Its very shiny.
so yesterday the wife took some picts with her fancy Digital SLR she got for christmas, and I was about to post 'em here until I saw hoe BIG they were (5000x3000) so I dumbed down my favorite one. She saw I had put Renea's name on the side of the car and after she took the pict she got freaked out cause I managed to get into the pict...

Heres the link to my album if you want to see the others Renea's Photo Album

More tomorrow

Chris

[This message has been edited by Halcyon25 (edited 03-18-2012).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
Any updates?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock