Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Fiero Store Canadian Orders !!!!!!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Fiero Store Canadian Orders !!!!!!! by RULOOKIN
Started on: 12-22-2010 10:38 AM
Replies: 60
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-21-2012 06:22 AM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So, are you telling us that customs charges have gone down for items shipped from the Fiero Store to Downingtown PA?

Well i cant speak for you you Canadians and over seas guys but here in the states is getting better. I do know that usually when shipping something out of the US USPS is usualy at least a $25 charge. Move to the US

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 02-04-2011).]

IP: Logged
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

thanks for the informative thread. I have a bunch of stuff I am about to order from TFS. Just to confirm, the best way to go is to ask TFS to ship to me directly using USPS, correct?

I really don't feel like being bent over by UPS, especially without even buying me dinner or flowers first!

Hey Peter ! you emailed me you list of tiems you wanted from TFS with out going into details you better have your wallet full of cash (BROWN BILLS) if ups comes knocking, i dont think they will send everything you listed by USPS, way to much stuff good luck !!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
What nobody here has mentioned, is that when items are purchased in Canada, and shipped to the US, UPS also collects their exhorbitant brokerage fee.

A few years ago, when the exchange rate was so good for the US, I ordered a set of wheels and tires from an outfit in BC. (I didn't order because of the exchange rate. It was just an added benefit. The company just happened to have what I wanted.)
The brokerage fee ate up any savings that I would have realized for the purchase. For an $1100 set of wheels/tires, it was over $100. I am almost tempted to say that it was over $200!
Regardless, it pissed me off. Nobody mentioned any brokerage fees. This was an unwelcome surprise that I received in the mail about a week after I had received the wheels.
I considered pretending like I had never received the bill, and if they "pushed it", protesting that I had never agreed to any such fee. (Wonder how THAT would have gone over.)

It also didn't help that the "last mile" carrier was DHL, who doled the wheels out to me over a period of 3-4 days.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post

And now you know why UPS loves logistics...because the make a killing of them, more than the actual shipping.
F the brown,

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 02-05-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Well i cant speak for you you Canadians and over seas guys but here in the states is getting better. I do know that usually when shipping something out of the US USPS is usualy at least a $25 charge. Move to the US

Hey dummy, when was the last time you paid customs fees from state to state IN THE U.S.? That's what Patrick is getting at, goon.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Someone needs to convince the Fiero Store to use a flat-rate brokerage fee setup if they're going to use UPS. Then you're paying just $10 for brokerage fees, and any canadian taxes on top of that. I won't order anything cross-border if it's coming by courier unless they do something similar. USPS is my usual preference, seeing as you can often get an international flat-rate box - cheaper shipping in the first place, and you just have to pay the taxes for taking it over the border.
Unless stated otherwise, automatically expect UPS to bill you $50 on top of what the government wants, no matter how small the package or how little it's worth!
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
EVERY order I make from TFS ends up with shipping charges greater than the cost of the item. Every time. Without fail. Somehow I haven't ended up with a customs bill, even with things like springs. I'm guessing customs are just sloppy over here or something, normally that kind of thing would demand 12.5% tax at least.

The only major complaint (beyond the standard horror at the price of shipping that's common between shipping to Canada and shipping to New Zealand or Australia) is the automated calculation of shipping price. Danyel's markers are a fantastic example - the website clearly has a predefined value for how much it would cost to ship that item, so when he orders four, it doesn't calculate the box size or if they could be bundled together. As such you can be bit massively.

------------------

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
I just placed 2 orders this week...

$41 worth of plastic parts from Fiero Store to Canada- $27 shipping by USPS (spring pad set for rears & condenser mounting kit)

$61 worth of metal parts from Rodney to Canada- $6 shipping by USPS (shifter rebuild kit, select shaft replacement)

I would love to have an explanation for that one??
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

$41 worth of plastic parts from Fiero Store to Canada- $27 shipping by USPS (spring pad set for rears & condenser mounting kit)

$61 worth of metal parts from Rodney to Canada- $6 shipping by USPS (shifter rebuild kit, select shaft replacement)

Plastic breaks easier?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Fairly simple, they enjoy selling crappy, cheap parts and ripping people off. They have done that for years yet people on this forum feel obligated to buy from them. Thats why I will never buy anything from them again. My local parts store has all of the engine/electrical parts and Rodney has the rest. If I need any plastic parts, I buy used ones and refinish them or make my own out of carbon fiber.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
I just placed a $131.90 order with the Fiero Store and my USPS Priority Mail shipping cost was $40.40 with a 1-2 week delivery. All my purchases on eBay (other than vehicles) and the Forum are requested to be shipped by USPS and paid for with my credit card. USPS shipping fees are based on the package destination, and size and weight of the package. The further it travels, or larger the size or weight, the more it will cost to ship.

When a package arrives in Canada, most of the time if the declared value is less than $30, it's delivered by Canada Post to my community (locked) mail box, or to my door if it's too large to fit in the mail box, and there are no taxes or handling fee charged.

For items with a declared value more than $30, Canada Post collects 5% GST + 7% Provincial Sales Tax ,and charges a handling fee of $8.50. There are absolutely no other fees or taxes charged, which is why I always request USPS shipping.

The reason I use my credit card to pay for items through PayPal is that if the item is lost or damaged and there is no insurance on the item, my credit card Company will reimburse me the costs for the item including shipping. I have been reimbursed twice now, once for a damaged item which USPS or Canada Post would not cover, and the second time for an item that was purchased and got lost. All the credit card Company required was a proof of purchase and signed declaration for the lost item, and a photo of the damaged item. I never had a problem being reimbursed for these items. Hope this helps Canadian Fiero owners to ship items from the US to Canada.

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

PFF
System Bot
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
Words to live by: Never UPS ANYTHING to Canada.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
i just o;rdered some front poly bushings for my suspension. i called tfs and was told that the cheapest way to ship to canada (he laughed when i told him i lived in canada) was to select the 65$ "ups express international" as it included the brokerage fee and customs fee and that there would not be any surprises. i ignored his advice and selected the 35$ "usps priority mail", and thats all i paid - no brokerage fee and no customs fee. the fiero store gives bad advice is all i can say. NEVER ship UPS to canada
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Further to my earlier message regarding USPS shipping costs, I received an 18" x 22" x 10 1/2" package today delivered to my door by Canada Post from Silvis Illinois 61282, and there were no additional charges such as taxes, brokerage or handling fees. The package contained a complete passenger side carpet ($15), 20 lug nut covers ($5), and a drivers seat recline lever ($5).

The package weighed 17 pounds and with a declared value of $25, the shipping cost was $64.05 USD. I had to sign for the package electronically which verifies to the sender that the package was received. The package was shipped on April 12th and received today April 19th, which is only one week.

This should help substantiate that the most economical way of shipping small or even larger items from the US to Canada is by USPS.
FieroStore

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreDirect Link to This Post

A box containing spring pads and a condenser mounting kit is a little less than 2lbs. According to USPS.com, it costs $25.80 to ship a 2lb package to Canada via Priority Mail International. The extra $1.20 pays for someone to pack the box and other packing supplies. Based on the cost you mentioned, I assume that Rodney used the First Class International service. We do not advertise that service because the USPS has lost too many of our packages in the past. With that said, if you would like to assume the responsibility for the potentially lost package, please give us a call and we will be happy to ship First Class for the lower price.

Rest assured that it is not in our best interest to make a ton of money on shipping. It's hard enough competing with big box retailers (who don't support the Fiero community) on the price of parts....why would we want to hurt our cause even further by not being competitive on shipping? When it comes to shipping, we're just trying to cover our costs.

Shipping is a very complicated issue, with lots of variables. There is no "right" answer for every customer in every country for every order. Like most other divisive issues that are discussed on this forum, there is a lot of gray area. Some customers would rather pay more for a faster, more reliable service while others would rather pay less for a slower, less reliable service. There are also human errors and technical glitches to watch out for. Someone on our Facebook page pointed out an error just the other day, which we fixed. With well over 1,000 part numbers and over 10,000 potential shipping rates, there is bound to be an occasional inaccuracy. So if you should come across one of those examples, or if you would like to discuss your options in greater depth, please call or email and ask for me (Matt). You will probably find that a one on one conversation is far more productive than simply venting on the forum. Hopefully Danyel will agree now that we have spoken on several occasions.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
I refuse to use UPS again after the headaches I had last time with them..

Ask the businesses if they will ship via USPS.. they may.

I know one place I ordered from in Florida, they dont ship usps, but said they would but the item wouldnt be shipped for another day or so due to them not heading to the post office. It arrived with NO customs fees saved over $50 on fees that UPS would have nailed me on.

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:
Hopefully Danyel will agree now that we have spoken on several occasions.

I am the first to b!tch about shipping and high cost of getting anything across the border from TFS... and I do understand the reasons of these prices ... the fierostore is always a good target to be pi$$ed off at but in the end its up to YOU to buy or not. I have discontinued buying their 51505 product (smooth marker kit) so I could update them with LEDs and sell them to members here. I have talked often with Maatt at TFS and I agree with their NEW shipping policies ... I'm sure they can send ya the packages for cheaper but if the package is lost YOU'LL have to assume the costs .....on the other hand what I dont get is why a product is a certain price then all of a sudden there's a 15$ price hike ....thats where I kind of lose it.... anyways if they ever come back down to $79.95 a set I will produce them again .. but till then --- NADA

Finishing up the signal light covers project .... SOON on a fiero near you

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

FieroStore

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreDirect Link to This Post
Danyel: Had you called or emailed to ask me about the change in side marker lights, I could have explained that the recent price fluctuation is the result of dwindling supply. In fact, you will see that the late model kit you have purchased in the past is currently not listed on our web site. This is because we have sold out of one marker light and we're running dangerously low on a few others. The good news is that we expect to receive more side markers in the next few months. Once they arrive, the price should return to the way it was.

This is another great example of how simple issues that often hijack threads can easily be solved with better (direct) communication before they get blown completely out of proportion on the forum.

Back on topic, it is true that USPS is often a better shipping option, especially for small orders. However, as the parts you order get bigger, UPS often (not always) becomes more attractive. This is when it pays to contact us to discuss your options.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
TFS is a for profit business. They have every right to earn a profit on selling parts. They have employees to pay, overhead, they inventory stuff for cars that are nearly 30 years old. I was happy to have them and gladly payed their prices when I owned my 3 Fieros. There was no guess work, no running to the part store, to find they were out of stock. Shipping fees have gone up a ton as the price of fuel begins to rise. I recently shipped 4 packages to Canada, totaling 136 pounds, and it ran over $700, and that was prior to duty.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
[i]

[b]Originally posted by FieroStore:

A box containing spring pads and a condenser mounting kit is a little less than 2lbs. According to USPS.com, it costs $25.80 to ship a 2lb package to Canada via Priority Mail International. The extra $1.20 pays for someone to pack the box and other packing supplies. Based on the cost you mentioned, I assume that Rodney used the First Class International service. We do not advertise that service because the USPS has lost too many of our packages in the past. With that said, if you would like to assume the responsibility for the potentially lost package, please give us a call and we will be happy to ship First Class for the lower price. [QUOTE]Originally posted by FieroStore:[/b][/i]

This option should be offered on your website, without customers having to call in. It is common knowledge that postal shipments do occasionally get lost, and it is understood that if the customer chooses to receive shipments in this fashion, TFS is not responsible for lost shipments. Less than 1% of shipments disappear through the postal service. To reduce shipping costs by 50%, I think most of us would be willing to take the gamble. As long as TFS clearly states on the website that USPS shipping is done at the customer's own risk, then what do you have to lose? There is clearly a lot of resentment at the excessive shipping costs compared to other US vendors, so it would make sense to offer this option and let the customer decide.

PS. Since UPS robs international customers, why not use Fedex, Purolator, etc?

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 04-21-2012).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post

cam-a-lot

2133 posts
Member since Oct 2010
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

TFS is a for profit business. They have every right to earn a profit on selling parts. They have employees to pay, overhead, they inventory stuff for cars that are nearly 30 years old. I was happy to have them and gladly payed their prices when I owned my 3 Fieros. There was no guess work, no running to the part store, to find they were out of stock. Shipping fees have gone up a ton as the price of fuel begins to rise. I recently shipped 4 packages to Canada, totaling 136 pounds, and it ran over $700, and that was prior to duty.

I am not questioning the cost of their products. Obviously they need to turn a profit and can and should charge whatever the market will bear. Our issue is with the excessive shipping costs, compared to others who ship items of the same weight and size from the US to international customers. If I order a set of rotors from Rock Auto and they ship it to me, the shipping costs should be roughly the same as the same set of rotors from the Fiero Store. This has nothing to do with the cost of the part itself. Do you understand the difference?
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock