Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Option #3 & 4: Glassed Hatchback & Glassed Deck lid Versions (post them here). (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Option #3 & 4: Glassed Hatchback & Glassed Deck lid Versions (post them here). by madcurl
Started on: 02-06-2009 01:34 PM
Replies: 122
Last post by: madcurl on 01-05-2013 12:17 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JPH87:

or a supercharger

Like this? This wouldn't fit under the stock decklid for sure.

Woo i own page 3.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-04-2010).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Note: The base of the wing stands would have to be modified to match the shape of the hatch in that area and with the wing at this location the bases of the wing stands would need less modification to match the hatch.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
elitopr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post
like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

RhinoDj

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RhinoDjSend a Private Message to RhinoDjDirect Link to This Post
Wow...I REALLY like these...My only question is about water getting into the compartment..And how much of a pain is that to keep clean? Probably wouldnt be good for a daily driver...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RhinoDj:

Wow...I REALLY like these...My only question is about water getting into the compartment..And how much of a pain is that to keep clean? Probably wouldnt be good for a daily driver...

Trust me. It's a pain trying to keep clean, but that's one of the main reason for the glass clip-showing off the engine compartment. As for the rain-like a whale-water rolls off the back in motion.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-25-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Trust me. It's a pain trying to keep clean, but that's one of the main reason for the glass clip-showing off the engine compartment. As for the rain-like a whale-water rolls off the back in motion.

I need to buy stock in the company that is doing your chrome work... that is Popping!! Makes me wish I had a Northstar under glass.

Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Couldn't moisture get in through the side vents ? Especially when parked. Surely a cut-out could be made to put under the vents, keeping rain from entering when parked, so that wouldn't be a problem, but while stuck in traffic ? Slowing down to a stop sign/red light ? Or am I worrying too much ?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Navras:

Couldn't moisture get in through the side vents ? Especially when parked. Surely a cut-out could be made to put under the vents, keeping rain from entering when parked, so that wouldn't be a problem, but while stuck in traffic ? Slowing down to a stop sign/red light ? Or am I worrying too much ?

The vents are above none critical areas (the air filter canister and the over flow reservoir). The car once or twice was out in the rain while in motion and in park. I do need to use my XM radio antenna to plug the small hole at the top of the 350Z glass. Other-than-that I was more concerned about the glass breaking (as some mentioned) due to the heat from the engine and cold rain on the top surface, but that concern was laid to rest upon my cross country trip from V8Archie to CA.
PFF
System Bot
Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty. Thanks for the info, sir. Beautiful car, for the record !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Outlaw customs on a Mad Arch widebody hatchback choptop!

Now we're talkin'!
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

I often think of the rear "glass" in one of the '60s-'70s Porsche? race cars. Plexiglass with a number of 4 inch wide louvers formed in. Strictly for aerodynamics, louvers to vent the heat.

~Neil

This is kind of over the top, louver-wise, but what I was thinking of. I measured a Gen 3 Camaro back window just yesterday. It looks like there's enough area in the middle to cut out a piece that would fill the open area on the GT. Hmmm. Get an Alston or Harwood Lexan window http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRD-12921/ cut out the area needed, Dzus fasteners . . . .
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRD-12921/[/URL] cut out the area needed, Dzus fasteners . . . .

Nice option, but for $333 and needed modification-you might as-well get V8Achie's and be ahead of the game. I don't have the link, but I don't think Archie's that much more expensive.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

In case anyone else was interested. The Rx7 glass is 3ft by 4ft long, about an 8" rise....

Or if they need one.. Might have an extra.. :P
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Double post.

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 03-20-2011).]

JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I'd post a Plexiglass window option for those who go with Archie's HB conversion!

http://www.autoall.com/350z...ass-clear-smoked.htm

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Not bad.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
People seem to have forgotten jimmy s hatchback as a option comes withe the lovers an with the mounr holes an reses for the spoiler. Only down is that the hinges ae not con sealed. But i have a big ass roll bar in the way of the arch hinge so its not a option for me so jimmy will get my cash. This is a freat way to get thay exotic look on the fiero an its not super expensive.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
V8Archie:

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
when are you going to paint that thing man? as for the RX7 hatch did you take any moc up photos? I would love to see that sitting on a fiero.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Syn:

When are you going to paint that thing man?

CALL OF DUTY: I was called to help out a fellow PFF member thus my priority was shifted.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-18-2011).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Curley.

Hatchback with Spoiler & vents for Fiero GTs with non chopped roof.

Hidden hinges, Glass window.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-18-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
350Z decklid:

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Besides Skitime, did anyone ever do a flat glass rear hatch?

Like the Lamborghini, or

Ferrari, or

McLaren:

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 07-07-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Archie, will you give us notchie owners some love as well and build a decklid that would work with notchbacks?

Or as an alternative a Lamborghini style flat glass decklid?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl: I wonder if you could go to Factory Five Racing to get the 350z rear glass without the defrost wires in it. After all they use that same shape glass for the Factory Five GTM.

Btw.: is that rear glass a regular product by V8 Archie? He hasn't responded to my emails, PM's, and I can't find it anywhere on his site.

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Madcurl: I wonder if you could go to Factory Five Racing to get the 350z rear glass without the defrost wires in it. After all they use that same shape glass for the Factory Five GTM.

Btw.: is that rear glass a regular product by V8 Archie? He hasn't responded to my emails, PM's, and I can't find it anywhere on his site.

I talked to Factory Five Racing (FFR) while attending SEMA several years ago. They use to sport the 350Z glass, but since have moved onto a somewhat better design for it doesn't use the factory defrost wires commonly found in the OEM glass. I also believe they made a slight tweak to the glass too. It's been so long ago I forgot. However, the 350Z glass is OEM which makes it easy for anybody who sport the Fiero 350Z hatchback from V8Archie to call up any auto glass repair shop and have them install it.

IMHO, it is always better to use OEM parts for they have a large supply and most likely will never run out before our Fiero have long been gone. The 350Z glass is about $300-400 I think? You might find a cheaper deal at your local junk yard. Also, FFR might be more and if they should go out of business you're screwed.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Good to know. I was under the assumption the FFR glass is exact same shape, just without the wires.

I agree with you. OEM parts are easier to deal with.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostDirect Link to This Post
Your car looks awesome in red!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
A change of venue:

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

Is it this one you are talking about ?

Thats it!! The one and only Fiero station wagon. I will reserve comments about the aesthetics but it is unique. I wonder if there is any room for any cargo back there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl, thank you for posting these:

Originally posted by Archie:

Bringing this thread up to date....

I don't think I ever described the hinges we made for the hatchback lid.

As I've stated before I wanted this hatchback kit done so that no mods needed to be done to the rear clip to install the hatch. So we modified the old Fiero decklid hinges to fit under the plastic upper rear roof section of the rear clip.

We then inserted a threaded plate between the 2 layers of the Fiero spaceframe behind the sunroof opening.

I may use this idea to make a mount for a Cell phone amplifier antenna. (It needs to be mounted as high as the roof, and have a metal ground plane) This way I don't need to cut any plastic bodies on the Fiero and the mod is reversible
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock