UND_Sioux's 1988 GT Build by UND_Sioux
Started on: 08-18-2011 03:29 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: fierocarparts on 12-24-2011 07:46 PM
UND_Sioux

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Recently I was working on an 88 Formula T-top that ultimately I decided I didn't want to finish. I decided that T-tops weren't for me, and I really wanted the GT body so I parted out the Formula and purchased this 1988 Fiero GT with only 57,000 miles on it. I paid $5200 off of eBay which was probably a little too much, but it had exactly what I wanted. It was a low mile GT, it was an automatic, and it was all original except the previous owner put Borla exhaust on it quite some time ago. It was located in Cleveland, so I flew in and drove it back to Houston. Here it is at a rest stop on the way home.

Here it is in the garage.

It had a few important issues that I had to immediately address. The first and most important is that it had a small leak in the radiator. I luckily had a spare from the Formula so I swapped them out. Eventually I plan to upgrade to a aluminum core radiator. The second issue was that the A/C needed a charge. I wish I would have done that before I left Cleveland with it because it was a long drive to Texas without A/C in the middle of June.

The next issue I felt the need to address was the radio. It had the original Delco AM/FM Cassette in it. When I picked it up, the two dash speakers didn't work. I didn't know if it was the radio or the speakers until I looked under the dash when I got home, and for some reason the wires had been cut and the front speakers weren't hooked up. They were the original factory speakers. I had been collecting all the parts to put Performance Sound in the other car, so I finished acquiring the rest and decided to install it in this car. While I was at it, I decided to change the head unit to a Pontiac Monsoon head unit with factory CD changer controls so I could hook up an iPod adapter. Unfortunately, I bought the wrong one off of eBay that didn't have the CD changer controls. I found out that they look the same, and they all have the plug, but they don't all have the same internals. Luckily the volume knob was defective so I returned it and purchased the correct one which should be here today. I put new front and rear speakers from Kicker in while I had everything apart. They sound great with the performance sound.

When I ordered a replacement factory subwoofer from Rodney, I picked up some replacement speaker grill cloth. I it amazing how much the original cloth fades over time. Here is a side by side.

Unfortunately when I took out the drivers side A-pillar trim to run the new Performance Sound overhead console wiring, I noticed the headliner was sagging. The only thing holding the fabric to the roof was the trim pieces, the visors, and the sunroof gasket. I took the sunroof board to a local upholstery shop and they are going to redo it and redo the visors. This car also had the sunroof sunshade with it and its headliner was sagging as well. Since I brought the parts to them, the are only charging my $90 to recover everything plush about $30 in materials. That should be done by Friday.

While I was messing around in the interior, I decided to install a Cadillac Homelink unit that a few members here have done. I took quite some time to cut and file the hole to the right size. It isn't perfect, but I think it came out pretty nice. I tied the electrical in to the passenger power window switch so it won't work without the key in the ignition. I don't leave the car parked outside very often, but I prefer nobody to be able to open my garage door if they get into the car.

The biggest part of my plan for this car is to install a 3.9 with a 4T65E. I acquired the engine and transmission last January from a place up in Michigan that disassembles test vehicles for GM. It has 26 miles on it. Here is the 2006 Uplander it all came from.

Here is how I found it on eBay.

Since my original plan was to put this thing in the 88 Formula, I had already mounted it to the cradle with FieroX transmission mounts and a stock 88 engine mount with a modified 88 engine bracket. I kept extra Formula cradle so I could drive the car while working on the engine swap.

Two of the things that need to be addressed are the oil filter and the A/C compressor. A remote oil filter will need to be used because the stock oil cooler is pitched down instead of out so there is interference with the cradle. The A/C compressor hits the hump where the exhaust passes under the forward crossmember. I'm going to have somebody who is a better welder than I am cut off the top of that hump, and then reinforce it.

I have lots of plans for this car. Stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by UND_Sioux (edited 10-25-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
:PLEASE for the love of GOD...Do not take this car apart then parts it out........Just enjoy driving the car how it is.......Buy a $300 88 Coupe to do the swap in so you can get it done, bugs worked out then put it in the GT.....Just some advice but your car so build on....

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

:PLEASE for the love of GOD...Do not take this car apart then parts it out........Just enjoy driving the car how it is.......Buy a $300 88 Coupe to do the swap in so you can get it done, bugs worked out then put it in the GT.....Just some advice but your car so build on....

I am happy to see oyu back to doing the swap. I do, however, agree with MstangsBeware. Get all the bugs out first. Mounting it onto the cradle is the easy part.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry. I'm not going to disassemble anything drivetrain related on this car until everything is working as it should outside the car.

UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Here is an update.

First of all, a couple of weeks ago I drove up to the Dallas area and paid a visit to MstangsBware and he let me cut one of his 88 chassis' in half before it went to the scrapper. I hauled the back half home and it is leaning up against the wall in my garage getting ready to be used to mock up my new engine. Here is the car before it was cut in half.

I had the cradle hump cut out and a square tube welded and reinforced in its place. There was a clearance problem with the A/C compressor. This allows me to still use the factory setup for the e-brake.

I've been spending the past couple of weeks building a wiring harness and simplifying everything. Initially, I'm planning on using the BCM, with the key transponder in order to make the thing start. I've eliminated most
of the BCM systems, but I can go and re-pin them in the future If I want to. I probably won't though. Today, I finally got around to installing the remote oil filter. The placement of the oil filter does not work on the 3900 without hitting the cradle due to the factory oil cooler. I wanted to keep that, so I used a remote kit.

My next step is to get the newer style transmission cooler fittings adapted to the Fiero steel lines and then finish the wiring harness. I'd like to have it running by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. We'll see.

[This message has been edited by UND_Sioux (edited 10-24-2011).]

UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Things move pretty fast when you have a few days away from work. I hit a big milestone tonight. I actually proved that I could get all of the computers, BCM, and key transponder to talk to each other through the data network. I don't have the fuel tank hooked up yet, but if you turn the key, it actually turns over. I was shocked that it worked. I had only one plug out of three plugged into the back of the massive fuse block and then just two other wires into two pins where one of the other harness connectors used to be. 75% of the BCM wires have been removed.

Also, I was able to get a transmission cooler line from GM that fits the newer style fittings. It was the same on both ends with a rubber 3/8 hose in the middle. I cut it in half, used some hose barbs in the middle and looped in back to the transmission so I can test everything without spraying fluid everywhere.

The next big step is to hook up a fuel pump, and build the fuel lines. I have an extra tank, so I'm going to try to start it right on the stand and make sure it runs.

After that, I'll carefully remove the remaining wires from the fuse block plug, and wire the fuse and relays into a much smaller fuse block. I pulled a fuse block from a 93 Camaro from the local parts yard. It is set up for 8 relays and 12 fuses. That should hopefully be enough. The 3900 needs a lot of fuses that the Fiero fuse block was not equipped with.

UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe it worked. I actually got it started tonight. Here is a video of me running it for a few seconds. It was my first attempt at starting it, and it was loud! When I operated the electronic gas pedal, I got a quick pop from the exhaust and I jumped a little. I was able to use some AN fittings for the fuel line from a Corvette C5 filter regulator and some AN hose barbs to run some rubber lines. When I actually get this in the car, I'll take off the barbs and thread on some braided stainless steel line.

http://youtu.be/i7DJz8oSRPI

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
The first start up is alwasy the best...espically when it is a swap like urs that is not ordinary like say the 3800...>Good to hear it running and hope to see it on the road soon....

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by UND_Sioux:

I can't believe it worked. I actually got it started tonight. Here is a video of me running it for a few seconds. It was my first attempt at starting it, and it was loud! When I operated the electronic gas pedal, I got a quick pop from the exhaust and I jumped a little. I was able to use some AN fittings for the fuel line from a Corvette C5 filter regulator and some AN hose barbs to run some rubber lines. When I actually get this in the car, I'll take off the barbs and thread on some braided stainless steel line.

Enjoyed the video. Keep the information and pictures coming. I installed the speedometer I got from you . Works great, even the trip gauge part.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-30-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Nice looking car and cool swap. Good work getting it running. It's always fun to start them for the first time.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Car and engine swap for sale in the mall.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry to hear that.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Cool.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I thought Mustang said not to part it and sell it!! What happened?????
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
I'm not parting it out, I'm selling a very nice car and a separate 3900/4T65e. The Fiero has not been touched as a pertains to the swap.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Why are you selling them? Out of curiosity.

And nice 3900, whats the differences in stats for the 3900 as opposed to the 3800?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Say What? I am sure there is good reason to have to sell so I will not even ask...Good luck with the sale and hope it goes to someone that will complete it.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAK:

Why are you selling them? Out of curiosity.

And nice 3900, whats the differences in stats for the 3900 as opposed to the 3800?

The 3900 is a 60 degree v6. The block is the exact same length as the 2.8. The rated HP is 240 and TQ is 240. The engine has VVT and electronic throttle.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post

UND_Sioux

319 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Say What? I am sure there is good reason to have to sell so I will not even ask...Good luck with the sale and hope it goes to someone that will complete it.

The reason is the unstable industry I work in. Also, I decided that having two cars is rather unnecessary right now.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your sale. I'm sorry to see it go.

You should link to this thread from your Mall thread.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I just found this thread, started reading through it and got excited, and then I see the project is off

Initially, I'm planning on using the BCM, with the key transponder in order to make the thing start.

How far did you get with this? I've been wondering how hard it would be to get a newer-style GM remote start system to work in a Fiero?
PFF
System Bot
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I just found this thread, started reading through it and got excited, and then I see the project is off

How far did you get with this? I've been wondering how hard it would be to get a newer-style GM remote start system to work in a Fiero?

I'm near 100% sure that it would work. All you'd have to do is get a remote start module and matching fob and pin it to the appropriate pins at the BCM and I'm pretty sure that it would crank.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Deposit received for 3900. Car still for sale.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Bump for ya.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock