Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Chariot of Fire: A Chumpcar Build Thread (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chariot of Fire: A Chumpcar Build Thread by kwagner
Started on: 05-01-2011 11:22 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: kwagner on 02-02-2012 05:15 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Edit: woo page two!

May 29, 2011:

Mocking up the tow hook:

We got the rest of the roof holes drilled today. In one of them, we discovered a near as I can tell vintage 1984 fossilized bug (cicada shell?):

There was no room in between the plastic and the metal for it to get in after the fact.

Some of the cage welds were just plain UGLY. We got them all welded up, but it wasn't pretty, so I won't be sharing any pics from that
Tow hook welded together:

Note we got a 15,000lb one because that's the smallest one that fits the 3" minimum inner diameter in the ChumpCar rules. Hook bolted in place:

And bumper test-fit back on:

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 06-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
May 30, 2011:

Here's a case where pictures don't tell the whole story. Getting from the first picture to the second took a lot of work and thinking. We didn't have access to a brake large enough to bend the (I believe .080" thick) aluminum, so we had to use some creativity:

Here's what we ended up with at the end of the time we had available:

The old dash is on the left. The cutout on the left side is where the tach will fit.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 6, 2011:

The "cowbell" painted and properly cut out:

The cutoff switch wasn't wired properly, and needed moved to inside the cabin. I also removed the 200A fuse at the same time, just to eliminate things that could go wrong. I actually did this (and a few other things) on the 5th, but forgot to bring my camera:

The new dash in, with gauge and switch locations drawn on:

And now with all the holes cut out:

ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hairballrm:

Your first race is coming up, keep us in the loop!
I really hope you guys do the 25 25 25
We will see how the beaver goes.

Chumpcar added 'It's a Corkscrew Christmas" at Laguna Seca
help me talk Manmadepoulets (and his team) into going.

I want to so bad, but I'm beyond broke, so unless someone is willing to pay for the trip in exchange for me bringing the car, I'm gonna have to pass. :-(

Originally posted by kwagner:

The correct way to put a cage in a fiero, according to Doug Chase, is to drill holes in the floor, drop the cage through, weld the top, push it up through the holes, then weld plates where the holes used to be.

That's the way we did ours. I commend you for taking care of the cage now, while it's "easy." The first thing a ChumpCar tech inspector will do is get in there and run their fingers around the welds, to be sure it's done right... and if it's not - fix it there at the track, or you don't race.

Everything is lookin' good. I like the work you guys are doing, it all looks well designed, and well fabricated.

[This message has been edited by ManMadeChickens (edited 06-19-2011).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It's a bit frustrating at times because things take a while to design and time is definitely not on our side. I'm fortunate to be working with someone so knowledgeable. If it were just me I wouldn't have thought of half these things.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Never heard how things ended up regarding your engine with bad bearings. Update?
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
We just had our first race this weekend. I've spent almost every spare hour working on the car to prep for this weekend, which is why updates have fallen off. Give me a day or two to recover, and I'll be posting the whole saga here. It was an adventure, to say the least.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Way cool! I know how much you've got going on if you just got home from a race weekend. Take your time, I'm not going anywhere, haha.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have some free time now. Updates coming
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 9, 2011:

A little more cutting to the dash to streamline it (and make it easier to get in and out):

Took the finished dash over to my parents' house for painting. My dad selecting the proper cleaning agent:

Putting coats of paint on the dzus buttons and the dash:

Finished:
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 12, 2011:

Paint applied to welded dzus brackets:

Dash going in, gauges and switches properly loomed to their new locations:

"Power block" hanging down. This will have to be insulated well and secured so as to not cause a short:

Dash almost done:
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 13, 2011:

Dash done, testing reach of switches:

Gauges were laid out so the most important (oil pressure, tach, and water temp) were visible inside the steering wheel from the driver's seat. There was then a gap where the steering wheel blocks view where most of the switches were placed. Finally, the less important gauges were placed to the right: oil temp, speed, and fuel level:

New kill switch mounted within driver's reach (old one was on the roll cage that attaches to the strut tower), and wired correctly so everything on the car dies when shut off:

Removed the spare tire holder. This would come in handy later for tying the car down on the trailer and attaching the front tow strap:

Power cables secured from belts and general floppiness:

Some hose was used to protect the belts from the sharp edges of the seat holes:
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 14, 2011:

Fired up the car to check the dash. Tach and water temp weren't working. I knew the water temp wouldn't work (I ran out of wires to plug in), but I didn't understand the tach. It was the only wire that made sense. It had to go there. After much debate, head-scratching, and searching, I took off some electrical tape and discovered that the tach signal wire was two segments. The segment that was visible was correct; the one that was hidden in the electric tape was actually the connector to the water temp. Well that part's solved, but where's the tach signal, then? I reach up under the dash and give a shake. What plops right into my hand?

With that straightened out, we label the rest of the dash switches. Some light reading material (a haynes manual and the service manual) helps the process:
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 17, 2011:

Duct tape is applied to the holes in the roof until there's time for a more permanent solution:

Window net in, seat in, and because we're going to an autocross, passenger seat in:

Dash all done:

Some cool tape applied to the wires and cables near the header:

Nose secured in place:
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
June 18, 2011:

All loaded up on the trailer:

An appropriately-chumpish truck to tow it:

The tow hook coming in handy:

Waiting at the start:

It was a pretty fast course as far as autocross layouts go. Four of the five drivers for the ChumpCar race got to try out the car, get used to the feel, see how well they fit, etc. All in all a good day.

At this point, we had a few more things to do: roll bar padding, reseal the oil pan, some odds and ends. We were confident we would be ready in time for the race. This is when fate threw a curve ball...
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
That's way cool. I already have seen some videos from Beaver Run, and noticed the Fiero in a few of them. Nice work making your first race!
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Another busy weekend. Will be posting more soon
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
Bump,
How is your season going?
25 25 25 is coming.

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delays in posting. My life has gotten quite busy lately (all good things, fortunately). I will post the rest of the story soon. We won't be going to Nelson Ledges this season, though perhaps next. The extra downtime has much reduced my stress level and strain on my funds. The car is being torn down right now in prep for an engine swap and spring testing.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
June 21, 2011:

We went to do some basic maintenance on the car after the autocross shakedown: check fluids, pressures, etc.
When we drained the oil it had a disheartening sparkle to it. We took the oil pan off to check the damage:

Most of the bearings to look like this:

After taking them all off, it appears that one bearing wasn't getting enough oil (which # escapes me at the moment), and from its flaking every other bearing got messed up. I still have the worst offender sitting on my desk as a reminder of how a small part can cause a huge headache. No time to mourn our losses, though. Less than a month before the race, we needed an engine overhaul!

We began prepping to remove the engine:

One nice discovery was what headers were actually on the car:

One not-so-nice discovery was the crap that was the coolant system:

Finally, engine out:

Not bad for a first time removal.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

kwagner

4257 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Edit: double post, will save for next update

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 02-02-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C