Started on: 04-09-2011 04:44 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: KEV on 04-13-2011 01:03 PM
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Everyone,

I learned yesterday that a friend of mine and legend in the Fiero as well as racing world, passed away on Thursday evening. Paul VanderLey was an outstanding, honest, and caring person, who had a wonderful family. My sympathies go out to them in these hard times. For those of you who may not know the name, Paul was a good friend of John Callies who was the manager of Pontiac Motorsports from 1978 to 1988. Paul was one of the driving forces behind making the SD4 (1984 pace car) the beast that has made it a legend and is still used today in midget racing. John went to Paul in the early '80s to help with the entire engine but particularly the head flow for the motor when developing it for the Indy Pace Car. For those of you who may remember, John mentioned Paul in his presentation at the 25th Anniversary Show in Detroit back in 2008.

Paul was someone who I always looked forward to talking with. His stories and advice were matched only by John Callies himself. Paul told me of his adventures on the Salt Flats breaking into the 200 MPH club and setting several land speed records with his '34 Coupe. Paul also built the SD4 motors for many of the IMSA Fiero GTU, and GTPL cars. In fact, he built the motor for the IMSA GTPL Fiero car that won its class at the 1986 24 hours at Daytona covering over 2200 miles in that time period. They also set a qualifying record that year. If you had the fortunate chance to meet and talk with John at the 25th Show, I can tell you that Paul was the same type of person. Willing to talk with you about anything and very interested in sharing his experience with you. I really will miss talking with him.

I came to know Paul when John introduced us in 2003 as I was looking for an engine for my IMSA racecar. Paul sold me his personal Bonnieville salt flat engine out of his '34 and recammed it for road racing. That was special to me considering the history in the heads that are on that motor and the personal attachment to Paul and his family. Rest assured, Paul, they are in a safe place and will always be cherished.

Below is a summary of information from his life that I think punctuate the information above. I also have added some of my favorite pictures. Again, my thoughts and condolences go out to Paul's loving family. This is a sad day in Fiero and Racing history.

By Chuck Corder....

Paul VanderLey rarely slowed down.

Whether in his formative years or later in life when he was experiencing great success, VanderLey’s singular focus helped him blaze a lot of trails in many forms of auto racing.

The racing community lost VanderLey on Thursday after a short battle with Stage 4 inoperable pancreatic cancer. Born in Grandville, Mich., VanderLey died at 76 in Gulfport, Mississippi.

A National Hot Rod Association Hall of Famer, Paul VanderLey is survived by his brother Ray, sister Esther Gabehart, wife Kay, children Dan, Cathy Watson, and Linda Powell, and 10 grandchildren, including one great grandchild.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Riemann’s Family Funeral Home on Three Rivers Road in Gulfport, Mississippi, with visitation Tuesday, April 12 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm with a celebration service to follow.

“We’re glad he didn’t suffer long,” said son Dan VanderLey, who remained in the family business when he started VDL Fuel Systems in 1998. “He lived a full life and we have some great memories.”

Many of those memories included something to do with cars and racing.

As a teenager in 1950, he left Biloxi, Mississippi, and moved to Santa Barbara, California, to live with his sister Ruth Reed, 10 years his senior.

It was in Santa Barbara where his lifelong love affair with cars began, first working in an auto shop for Bob Joehnck.

“Paul was the kid who sat on his bicycle across the street and watched us work on the racecars,” Joehnck remembers, “and I guess he was afraid to ask if he could come in. One day I was by myself, trying to push a car into the shop and I hollered at him to help.

“After that, he was part of the scene. Paul got in at the beginning of southern California’s racing boom, involved in drag racing and circle dirt track racing. My impression of Paul was that he was a real racer. He didn’t care what he drove; he just wanted to go racing.”

VanderLey continued to drag race after marrying Kay and returning to Biloxi.

He met Don Garlits and Connie Swindle and campaigned one of Garlits’ Swamp Rat III top fuel cars before getting a Ford factory ride in their AFX Comets.

In 1964, VanderLey campaigned the Ford Comet with a highlight of winning his class in Daytona, Florida, at NASCAR’s Speedweeks.

He continued racing dragsters and super stock cars through the 1960s, and then partnered with the late Dick Mororso in the ’70s, racing Mororso’s Corvette in the NHRA. The campaign garnered VanderLey several wins, including the NHRA Division IV points championship and the NHRA Cajun Nationals.

He also raced super modifieds on southern tracks, such as Mobile, Ala., Jackson, Miss., Laurel, Miss., Birmingham, Ala., and Pensacola, Fla.

“It was a traveling circus in those days,” Dan VanderLey recalled. “You could make a living at it. Not a very good one, but a living. All us kids would take our toy cars out of the vans and play behind the grandstands. We fought just like the big guys. My first bloody lip came on the backside of Mobile International Speedway. We laugh about it all the time today. That’s where we started racing.”

In the ’80s, Paul VanderLey turned his attention to his engine building business. He partnered with John Callies at Pontiac Motorsports on projects including the Indy pace car, IMS GTU, IMSA GTP Light and IMSA GTP.

Together, the pair experienced great success including driver and manufacturer championships and a 1986 win at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

“Paul had a special ability,” Callies said, “to see the air in his head ports and his manifolds that made him better than most. He was instrumental in the development of many of our cylinder head designs.”

VanderLey continued to build engines in the ’90s and focused on racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats. He teamed up with Jack Mendenhall, an old friend from his Santa Barbara days, and built a ’34 Roadster.

Through testing and running at Bonneville, VanderLey entered the prestigious 200 mph Club.

“It’s still a big deal today when you get into the 200 Club,” Dan VanderLey said.

In helping a friend Gary Aker, a young GM wind tunnel engineer, Paul VanderLey built an engine for a Pontiac Firebird that set a world land-speed record for a production car, approaching 300 mph.

He stopped racing himself in 2008 in order to help his grandson, Daren “D.J.” VanderLey, focus on a blossoming career.

“Sometimes it takes the tenacity Dad had to be successful in this sport,” Dan VanderLey said.

When it came to life, slowing down was never an option for Paul VanderLey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again, Paul, for your help and your memories.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 04-09-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
Meet him at Cruise the Coast and did not know who he was. He just said he liked my Fiero and had raced in the past. RIP
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
RIP. The older hot rod/gear head generation is disappearing. Its a sad time.

Edit: Is that an axle driven alternator? new to me..

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 04-09-2011).]

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Rest in peace Paul...
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
We are losing all the hero's and greats of racing. and honestly I dont see any of the current crop of guys doing the amazing things that the greats did. Vanderlay, Yunick, Lingenfelter, and the others that created car racing. They forged it into what it is today.

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
May he rest in peace.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
So sad.

I chatted with Paul quite a few times when I got my Indy. He was very helpful sorting out what direction I might want to take with my SD4 to make it streetable.

Rest in Peace Paul.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

RIP. The older hot rod/gear head generation is disappearing. Its a sad time.

Definately a sad time. All the innovators are passing on...
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting the story.

My condolences to his entire family and friends.

RIP Paul

edit: to add pictures of a couple of Paul's toys:

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-10-2011).]

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for informing us. RIP Paul
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
RIP Mr. Vanderley!
PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
RIP
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Most awesome fiero RIP thanks for the contributions.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Rest in peace, Mister Vanderley.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Sad news. R.I.P. Mr. VanderLey
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Very sad to hear. RIP Fiero friend, and prayers to the family and friends of Mr. VanderLey.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
That is sad. RIP
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
M<y condolences to you, and to his friends and family.
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
God bless his soul.
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Rest in Peace. Definately an interesting man to chat with.

I shall pay tribute to his legacy every time I fire up the SD-4 that he built for my pace car.

Fred
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Rest in Peace. Definately an interesting man to chat with.

I shall pay tribute to his legacy every time I fire up the SD-4 that he built for my pace car.

Fred

Good plan. I did that on Saturday.

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Very sad to hear. RIP Fiero friend, and prayers to the family and friends of Mr. VanderLey.

My sentiments as well.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
rip, he will be missed
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
R.I.P. Paul! You built one heck of a great motor!

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's
1984 SE Daily Driver

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock