Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Someone stole my catalytic converter! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Someone stole my catalytic converter! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-03-2011 11:08 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 02-06-2011 01:18 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe someone stole my catalytic converter! My '87 SE clone was broken down on the interstate for less than 10 hours in broad daylight and before I could get back to it, someone had cut out my converter and taken it. They made two very clean cuts, one on each end of it. They seemed to be very nice and thoughtful theives! I'm glad they didn't try to mess with any locks or break any windows or steal my starter, alternator, stereo, or anything else that I could tell. I do wonder if I'll find anything else missing, though. Stinking bastards!
------------------
Jonathan
1987 Notchie - Reborn with 2.8V6/Getrag
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-03-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
They steal them for the metal in the cat. Can't remember which it was but they sell them to recycle yards.
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Platinum. Get a pretty penny for 'em too, considering.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

They steal them for the metal in the cat. Can't remember which it was but they sell them to recycle yards.

Platinum
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Do all cats have platinum in them? Just the older ones like our stock ones or the new ones too?

Jonathan
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Weld a 1/8"-thick steel plate under the cat. That'll make them move on to easier targets.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Is the Fiero lowered or do you think the thieves jacked up the rear to get to the cat?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that sucks that happened, glad nothing else was taken or damaged.
But honestly, who needs those stupid things anyway, slap a straight pipe back up there and call it a day.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
That sucks. People will steal anything these days. I hope it wasn't one of those high flow after-market ones.

I wonder how long it took them to figure out where it was and to get it down.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I had that happen to a classmate, pretty funny. I can't believe they got one off your Fiero though, a Toyota Sequoia I understand... But a Fiero? lol
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I've heard of cats being cut off and stolen from raised vehicles, but from a Fiero??!!! These bastards must've been desperate!
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
They've been warning us about this at work. Thieves are stealing them out from under pickup trucks in the parking lots.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer (Remember - Gravity is not a tie-down)

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Man I've heard it all. I've heard of radios being stolen wheels being stole.. even cars being stolen. but who the hell would steal a CAT?
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
how can they get under a fiero with cutting tools without being noticed ?
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Where do you sell cats? I have a couple old Fiero ones. What do they bring?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniDirect Link to This Post
Here in PL any junkyard buy any cats, small one is near 100$, big (truck, van) about 150$, this is week money on low job, or nice car radio price, so, bad guys try to make some money on us... (other hand - to bought used one is a little expensive IMO, last months I asked junkyard-friend about Explorers cat, I expected price about sixpack of beer, but answer was "You know, friend is friend, but 150$ couse this is market price on scrapped cat...").

------------------
Fiero 1985 notch 2.5 automatic
http://boni.smutek.pl/auto

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
And around here that same cat will only bring about $30.... I have one sitting out back as it would cost me half that in gas just to drop it off.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
Well, for $1260 for an ounce of Platinum I can see why even the Fiero gets stolen converters.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
BTW, too bad you weren't closer, I have a complete '87 exhaust (came off a 9,000 mile car). It has been sitting out side the last 6 years, but still in great shape!
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

BTW, too bad you weren't closer, I have a complete '87 exhaust (came off a 9,000 mile car). It has been sitting out side the last 6 years, but still in great shape!

I don't know if that cat is any good. I bought a similar system from the Fiero Factory after being warned that the cat may not be good because the system had been sitting outside for so long. They were right. It was toast.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I had that happen to a classmate, pretty funny.

Guess you'll be laughing your azz off when it happens to YOU.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Yikes! I have one of Rodney's cats on my car, which is bolted in with clamps. However I'd be much more upset if someone stole my Borla exhaust.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula Owner:

I don't know if that cat is any good. I bought a similar system from the Fiero Factory after being warned that the cat may not be good because the system had been sitting outside for so long. They were right. It was toast.

There shouldn't be any difference storing it inside vs outside, as long as the water and critters can't get in there.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
The real question is why stolen cats are bringing more $ than new generic replacements sell for?
Summit Racing has them around $90. If a thief can get $150, then he should buy new from Summit and turn a legal $60 profit.
Stealing off a low car beside the road is easy, so long as they're prepared and no cop comes along. It looks like they're changing a tire.
The actual theft requires a shearing tool much like the jaws of life.
But most cars have cats on the passenger side.
Often, the thieves will be driving an older service pickup. The name on it will be bogus. It'll look like legit roadside repair.
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkDirect Link to This Post
Some loser here in Utah broke into the school bus yard and cut out all the buses' cats! When they caught him (security footage clearly IDed him) they found a storage unit with hundreds of them not only from the buses, but other vehicles as well. If crooks would just apply them selves in something legal...dumb a**es!

I couldn't get to my cat without raising the car up if I tried and mine is stock height.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Is the Fiero lowered or do you think the thieves jacked up the rear to get to the cat?

my thoughts too.....check your coolant pipes....the ones under the passeger doors.

Daniel
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Guess you'll be laughing your azz off when it happens to YOU.

I only mentioned it was funny cause I dislike that particular classmate . Not laughing at the OP in any way of course, I'd be pissed. More like bewildered they got under a Fiero...
Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:
The real question is why stolen cats are bringing more $ than new generic replacements sell for?
Summit Racing has them around $90. If a thief can get $150, then he should buy new from Summit and turn a legal $60 profit.

IMO 95% "racing" or "sport" or 'fancy' cats or exhaust dont have any platinium or palladium, they are more or less 'simple' exhausts, and thiefs know it. Dont ask me, if its legal or not, and how its possible to pass any legal or technical check (like UK MOT or polish or german state control for elder cars. BTW our fiero was 10yr in Germany, and 5yr in Poland, and still has full scale US lights, not legal here - corners, sides, rear - how its possible, after 15 checks? you know, solid, mercedes-like, german tech checks???). And aftermarket universal medim cat, but real platinium-palladium one, noname made in how-cares-where, for 2.0-2.5 engine, costs here about 300$, not like sporty one, 30-80$, this is reason they cut cats on the streets, not break in exhausts shops.

------------------
Fiero 1985 notch 2.5 automatic
http://boni.smutek.pl/auto

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

It's called Arbitrage. The practice of taking advantage of a price difference between two or more markets: striking a combination of matching deals that capitalize upon the imbalance, the profit being the difference between the market prices.

I don't know if this market really exists, but in economics it is often possible to buy and re-sell objects for profit, even brand new objects. I need to look into it.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

how can they get under a fiero with cutting tools without being noticed ?

I'm sure someone noticed, but a broken down car on the side of the highway with guys and tools doesn't raise too much concern.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They usually go after pickups, SUVs, and service trucks around here. They love car lots where they can get a dozen at a time. It is unusual they got under a Fiero. Like mentioned they knew it wouldnt attract attention on the side of the road. They just carry a battery sawzall or cutoff wheel and takes 30 seconds. If you dont get inspections, just put a piece of pipe in and forget the converter.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I wonder where people are getting the idea to steal a cat??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Catalit...&hash=item45f86a2066

or this guy will tell you HOW to go steal a cat off a car for $12
http://cgi.ebay.com/RECOVER...&hash=item1c14a3a08d

or this guy for $16
http://cgi.ebay.com/Platinu...&hash=item27ad5b3086

Or this ...well you get the point.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 02-04-2011).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Happens all the time.....$40 and up for a good CAT.......
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
if you want you can but a faux cat...that's what I run. they're cheap and are made really well.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Stealing off a low car beside the road is easy, so long as they're prepared and no cop comes along. It looks like they're changing a tire.
The actual theft requires a shearing tool much like the jaws of life.
But most cars have cats on the passenger side.
Often, the thieves will be driving an older service pickup. The name on it will be bogus. It'll look like legit roadside repair.

IIRC, they're after OEM cat's...they're worth more, presumably because they have more platinum in them. Ever compared a $60 aftermarket(universal) to an oem cat? the aftermarket is tiny in comparison.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Why has no one voiced the idea that its a possibility that they went through all the trouble on a busy highway to steal it due to the fact that the Fiero looks like an exotic sports car? think- Exotic= EXPENSIVE. Meaning, Parts fetch a nice price even at scrap and you would think that a higher performance engine would need a better catalyst system to knock down emission levels
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
that sorta bothers me lol ur right across the nc/tn state line from me... but i dont have a catalytic converter lol
hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
We think mine is plugged and we will pull it in the morning to see.
There are no smog or other inspections here.
Kinda tempting to take it down to the scrap yard and trade for some straight pipe.

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Ok this is not rocket science. I can get one out in about 5 minutes with this...

5 Minutes might even be a little long pending on conditions. As for the fiero.... just mind boggling why they would even bother going for a fiero cat when there are many other easier ones in a walmart parking lot.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock