Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What Do You Think Is The Dream Garage? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What Do You Think Is The Dream Garage? by merciero
Started on: 02-28-2010 04:47 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Philphine on 02-09-2011 10:29 PM
merciero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
hey guys im bought to build my dream garage... my brother is a contractor... hes built plenty of garages, houses, barns, commercial buildings..... ect. so he just got done with his house. now its my turn. me and my wife just bought a house with a good piece of land. we are getting ready to build the garage, but im not sure what i want... i know im putting a lift in it, there are guys that come by my work offering us 2 post lifts for like 1000. but other then that. give me your ideas... the only idea i have so far is its a 40x40 or 40x50 and on 2 walls there was gonna be a second wall about 3 feet out from the origonal wall. and i was gonna put pocketdoors (sliding doors) all along that wall. and inside each door i will keep parts, compressor, tool dox, vacumm, ect. so when you walk into the garage all you see is empty walls.. just an idea what do u guys think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
More outlets than you think you'll need, even from the ceiling. Have it insulated and ventilated good. Hard pipes for air with several outlets. Built in fire suppression system. Good sound and video system.
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The perfect garage IMO would be were all cars are completed; three car garage, a lift system, checkered flooring, air-compressor, plenty of framed pictures (Fieros or any other exotic), full blown stero system/T.V hook-up with cable on the speed channel, a complete Snap-on tool box, and a video survalance alarm system.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Ceramic tiled flooring. Finished walls and ceiling. One lift. Three bays. Air compressor plumbed with quick disconnects in various places in the walls. Plenty of overhead lighting. Climate controlled. Full bathroom with shower. Upstairs lounge with kitchenette, bedroom, and bath. Stereo system with cable and phone. Retractable hoses that are vented outside to put over tailpipe for those days that you need to run the engine in the garage.
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
A BIG air compressor is always nice, especially if it's enclosed and insulated in it's own room to help keep down excess noise.
Retractable extension cords and air hoses are always handy.
Depending on size, you could maybe have a certain part that could be set up for painting.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
any of these should give you an idea or http://www.luxury4play.com
http://www.luxury4play.com/...-thread-50-pics.html
edit for dirct link to garages

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 02-28-2010).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Ultimate dream garage eh? Seeing as if I stay in the automotive field I'd eventually like to own my own shop, I've put a bunch of thought into this

Heres my idea

5 bay garage with a large office/reception/waiting area off to one side. In one bay, alignment rack. 2 of the other bays would have 2 post lifts. one bay with a floor pod, and one empty "wash bay" type of setup with a portable paint booth and a portable scissor lift. In one corner of the shop, there would be a small utility room, soundproofed and insulated that contains the air compressor and the circuit breaker box. Tools out the wazoo, air compressor and power outlets everywhere along the walls with retractable hoses/power cords/shop lighting. Workbenches in the rear of the shop bays, all outfitted with power outlets, bench vises, etc. Each bay would have its own extension cord/air hose/shop light hanging from the ceiling (and one at each of the work benches). Floor pod would be outfitted with all the tools needed for under car repairs (drain pans for trans fluid/filter exchange, oil changes, welder for exhaust work, etc). Probably more I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. Estimate that I'd spend around $150k to $200k to build a shop like this (unless I go with a steel prefab building).

Upstairs loft area with full amenities (kitchen, living room, full bathroom, etc). I'd live on the premises in the loft, which would be soundproofed from the shop below.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
When I was doing HVAC work, I installed a system in a guy's house at the beach. He had a detached garage (it fit the lot better), and it had it's own 100 amp electric service separate from the house. It was a three car garage with workshop area in front of the cars and a loft overhead for storage. There was a duplex outlet every two feet all the way around the room, because as the owner put it, he got tired of having to run an extension cord to wherever. Oh, and the entire garage was paneled in 2" tongue-in-groove cedar, including the ceiling in the loft. I don't know what he was doing for flooring. It was still bare concrete when I was there, but it was still under construction.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Steve308 beat me to it Most of those garages are far nicer than any home I could dream of owning.....
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
One that just stays clean all the time
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

any of these should give you an idea or http://www.luxury4play.com

I have to laugh as some of these people with tons of money sometimes.
I was checking out the Autobahn Garage thread on their three story, trackside garage at corner N7 of the Autobahn Country Club.... phenomenal garage, exotic cars.... and in the refer, Heineken, Miller Lite, MGD, Bud Lite, etc.

Sure, drink what you like, but it's just funny that people with means wouldn't have found other beers that they like as well instead of the dreck you can find in any grocery store. I would have expected a few micro brews, considering the multitude of wonderful beers available.
PFF
System Bot
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned internet connection. You'd hate to have to go to the house just to check tips here on pennocks.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by riley:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned internet connection. You'd hate to have to go to the house just to check tips here on pennocks.

Wireless, of course. That way you can check PFF from your smart phone, iTampon, or laptop from the car instead of having a PC on a desk.
Although, a big screen flat panel on the wall would be good for entertainment as well as having PFF advice easy to read from anywhere in the garage.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Something not many garages have and that is a water drainage system.
It would be nice to wash your car inside in your own private world.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
"What Do You Think Is The Dream Garage?"

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/
DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Something not many garages have and that is a water drainage system.
It would be nice to wash your car inside in your own private world.

^Agreed, especially in Washington (Cold rain sucks)

I'd also say a pit, like they have at oil change places. Sure you got the lift, but with a pit you just park your car over it and you're good to go. Lift and a pit, ah yes, been wanting that for a long time now...
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
My dream garage? 4 or 5 extra long, extra wide bays. 1 bay with a 2 post frame lift, 1 bay with a 4 post wheel lift and the others with various tools and equipment for odd and end jobs. The 120 gallon, 150psi air compressor would have it's own sound insulated room with lines plumbed throughout the garage and quick connects strategically scattered throughout the garage, each quick connect with it's own pressure regulator. I would have plenty of overhead lights, with each bay having 2 drop down lights and an outlet every 3-4 feet. I would also have my garage decked out with Kobalt tools and a Snap-On air compressor. Each bay would have a deep utility sink and I would have a bathroom with shower on the lower level. There would be a loft over the garage with a complete kitchenette and fully wired for sound and video.

There's more to it, but it's slipping my mind right now....

------------------
Pennock's Official Thread Killer
Indiana Fiero Club

The Duke will NEVER DIE

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post
I like haveing a life in the garage ( the building needs to be at least one and a half stories high)

It's great for storing cars and working on them

You need lots of electrical boxes all over, ( including from the roof)

Fans

Plenty of places for air outlets

Lights - lots of lots of lights

A room attached out back for a large air compressear and rarrly used tools, excess tires. Stuff you don want to put up with

And when all is said and done a nice floor. I like to black and white checkered idea

------------------

87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
... Everything posted here. Just about.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

My dream garage? 4 or 5 extra long, extra wide bays. 1 bay with a 2 post frame lift, 1 bay with a 4 post wheel lift and the others with various tools and equipment for odd and end jobs. The 120 gallon, 150psi air compressor would have it's own sound insulated room with lines plumbed throughout the garage and quick connects strategically scattered throughout the garage, each quick connect with it's own pressure regulator. I would have plenty of overhead lights, with each bay having 2 drop down lights and an outlet every 3-4 feet. I would also have my garage decked out with Kobalt tools and a Snap-On air compressor. Each bay would have a deep utility sink and I would have a bathroom with shower on the lower level. There would be a loft over the garage with a complete kitchenette and fully wired for sound and video.

There's more to it, but it's slipping my mind right now....

Heh, apparently great minds think alike Sounds a lot like my ideal garage space Although I'd replace the Kobalt tools with either SK, Mac, or Snap on And have a larger compressor.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Heh, apparently great minds think alike Sounds a lot like my ideal garage space Although I'd replace the Kobalt tools with either SK, Mac, or Snap on And have a larger compressor.

Eh, my air compressor is a Snap-On only because Kobalt's largest air compressor is 80 gallons.. 120 gal is Snap-Ons largest... and it requires 208/230V, 3-phase power and is capable of Air Delivery (SCFM @ PSI) 75.0 @ 175. Lowe's Kobalt doesn't even come close to those specs...
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DougC:

^Agreed, especially in Washington (Cold rain sucks)

I'd also say a pit, like they have at oil change places. Sure you got the lift, but with a pit you just park your car over it and you're good to go. Lift and a pit, ah yes, been wanting that for a long time now...

Little known law in Washington. You are not supposed to wash your car in the driveway. Or on any surface that drains directly into the sewer systems. It is punishable by up to a $500 fine. You are allowed to wash your car on your lawn though. It passed about two years ago, and has not been enforced yet. To my knowledge. They want to eliminate phosphates from the water system. So, basically you have to take your car to a carwash. Here in Spokane County, we are banned from using Cascade, or any other dishwashing liquid containing phosphates.

But, yes, I would really love to have a drain in the garage. Would make things so much easier.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
hmmm dream car garage would b verry large w a span-creat floor w a matching basment in it and a pit opening like in a oil change shop plus a dumb waiter between the floors for parts and toys big enough to hold a motorcycle and or jetski stuff like that
the garage itself would also be built into a hill side so the lower level could be accesed thru a small door as a drive in for all the lawn equipment and snow mobiles during winter months top side would have three aviation style folding doors and half would be set up as car shop space other side would be a finished space were the done cars would be then the garage would have a second floor were all the shop space is and compressor and more storage along w a large acces door above the doors that parts can be lifted in, back down in the main garage would be set up also like my current garage w two trolly beams spanning the space w chain lifts on them
two rotary lifts and one 4 post lift would also be added
then id have a seprate room for books and computer items like online manuals and tech forums(pff!) id also have a overhead projection system for doing scale drawings and transfering them directly to plywood for form and jig building id also have a room off that room for the rapid prototyping equipment for making those unavalible parts id also add a wing for paint only related operations compleat w a down draft booth wash bay and prep area

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 02-28-2010).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Here's one I haven't seen anyone else mention, bathroom w/ shower, my house is close to the garage with the bathroom right at the door and I still hate having to leave the garage to "take care of biz"

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Watch out with the pocket door idea, compressors and other machines like to breathe. I put my compressors and pumps outside, covered but with plenty of fresh air. Drains in the floor are always good, plumb in a sink or two and the only thing I overlooked... a bathroom!
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
All that plus a central vacuum system. I'd also like a sandblasting booth and a nice convection oven for powdercoating parts.

------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Heated floors
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Little known law in Washington. You are not supposed to wash your car in the driveway. Or on any surface that drains directly into the sewer systems. It is punishable by up to a $500 fine. You are allowed to wash your car on your lawn though. It passed about two years ago, and has not been enforced yet. To my knowledge. They want to eliminate phosphates from the water system. So, basically you have to take your car to a carwash. Here in Spokane County, we are banned from using Cascade, or any other dishwashing liquid containing phosphates.

But, yes, I would really love to have a drain in the garage. Would make things so much easier.

Drain in the garage would still be illegal since it drains into the sewer.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Heated floors

Hellz yes! That was one of the big things I wanted...
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I don't care how big it is, you will find a way (probably with the wife's help) to fill it up. I don't care how it's equipped, you'll want to change something. Build what you want, you'll adapt to the things you wished you had done.

My shop is 24 X 36 with a two post lift and compressed air. I put in twice as many plug in sockets as I thought I'd need. Still not enough. But, I did do one thing (electricity wise) that I am glad I did. All of my electrical plug ins are 4 feet up from the floor. When I was having it wired, the electrician didn't understand why, several of my friends also questioned it. My answer was that every shop I've ever been in has stuff stacked, leaning against or piled up against the walls. Some wall sockets are lost and never to be seen again. Mine are all accessible and, I don't have to bend over to plug in. I've also got a couple of drop down multiple plugs that hang from the ceiling.

Yeah, I'm wired for internet and wifi, have the frig and stereo up and working, had a projection TV to install but it was going to be a PITA so it's still in the box. But, it ain't done till the insulation and HVAC are installed and working. Tiled or checker board floors wouldn't do well in my shop, way too much stuff gets spilled. I clear coated my floor but, I doubt it will stay unstained.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-01-2010).]

Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithDirect Link to This Post
Gee..... Looks like just about everything has been listed...

Except maybe the bar, striper pole, and stripers...

LOL... J/k

Jim
PFF
System Bot
aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
My uncle has a used oil burner, which is how he keeps his shop heated.
So, one of those for sure, too!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
It would look a lot like this

psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Hellz yes! That was one of the big things I wanted...

GOOD call!!! Heated floors, yes!!!
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
my 80 ft x100 ft with 14ft walls is pretty cool. fully equipped with 4 lifts, 2 bridgeport mills, 3 atlas lathes, 4 industrial drill presses, 2 50ton hydraulic presses, half mil or so in shop tools. heated in the winter, cooled in the summer, i like it. dont have heated floors though lol mike in oklahoma
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post

mera7

1355 posts
Member since Sep 2009
also have in the shop a commercial paint booth and commercial powdercoat booth, sandblast room and cabinet, kitchen fully equipped with appliances and a loft overhead with recliner and tv/satelite mike in oklahoma
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

also have in the shop a commercial paint booth and commercial powdercoat booth, sandblast room and cabinet, kitchen fully equipped with appliances and a loft overhead with recliner and tv/satelite mike in oklahoma

I'm soo used to having sat tv in the shop, I forgot to mention it.

Joe
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

Really. How about some pictures?

Rodney
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I would think that a metal quonset hut building might be economical and a good fit with your idea of having storage along the walls. You could erect walls inside and take advantage of the curvature of the shell at the bottom.

Jonathan
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

The perfect garage IMO would be were all cars are completed; three car garage, a lift system, checkered flooring, air-compressor, plenty of framed pictures (Fieros or any other exotic), full blown stero system/T.V hook-up with cable on the speed channel, a complete Snap-on tool box, and a video survalance alarm system.

that's part one. Just get a half of an airplane hangar and a fridge, microwave, a few cabinets, separate bathroom. Oh yeah ... and a foldable cot. I would never leave other then to restock!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock