Started on: 12-18-2009 10:32 PM
Replies: 162
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 01-12-2012 07:07 PM
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
New wheels... Zack is ready to start seriously now that ALL the parts have arrived. I'll get more pics soon (maybe)

Woohoo, I own another page!

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 10-11-2010).]

IP: Logged
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

mptighe

3321 posts
Member since Aug 2009
Here's a stock picture of the wheel...

Here's what's going underneath them....

Corvette Rotors for better stopping...EBC Ultimax custom drilled for the 5x100 bolt pattern by a local machine shop.

and EBC Redstuff pads for better performance and MUCH less dust.

Keeping the stock '88 calipers but have an upgraded Brake booster from a S10 that Blacktree did for me (Thanks Blacktree ) The car was having issues stopping before, even with brand new rotors and pads (I might be willing to sell those cheap if anyone wants them, less than 1k miles on them from when I had them installed). I also bought stainless hard brake lines and braided lines from the Fiero Store for this too. I want to make sure I can keep the 3800 under control.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 10-11-2010).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Well, I thought I might as well throw up an update. The car is in the shop and has it's own little spot. Unfortunately, every time Tengis goes to start working on it, we either find out there's still something missing, or I go and throw a change at him. Here's the latest one...

I have been less than enthused with the fact that I would probably be putting out 300hp or less at the wheels. Even with the SS intercooler, 1.9 rockers, CAI, and ported M90, Tengis doesn't think I have enough to really get much above the 300hp mark. He was showing me some ported heads and we started talking about what it would take to port mine. He recommended ditching the SS IC and going with a full IC first, as that would yield better results. He then said if I really wanted to do it, might as well go turbo.

Now, I've been thinking about doing this as stage II next year. I told him I couldn't afford to do the whole turbo thing, as it would require a different IC, better injectors, and of course the cost of the turbo and setup. He then says the words that set another change into motion. "Thomas still has his old turbo that he'd probably sell you for a couple hundred bucks". I talk to Thomas, he explains there's nothing wrong with it that he just upgraded to a bigger turbo, and we reach a deal. Tengis and I talk about selling my brand new never used SS IC, injectors, and ported Gen III M90, and how that would offset the cost of the new stuff.

Well, we're now making my little Fiero a turbo 3800. It should easily be in the 350-400 WHP range, and will hopefully negate the need to upgrade later. The only drawback is my trunk is going bye bye, but it's not like I was planning to use it really, it was just for aesthetics. Tengis is going to throw my other stuff up for sale at the Club GP forum, but if anyone is interested, they can contact me. I'll throw up some more pics soon once we start moving on the car again.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad you got your car underway again and dident quit out on it. I could tell right from the start that guy texasGT was a moron and dident know what the hell he was doing. My experiance with most of thoes impord JDM BS shops are nothing more than riggers that do the absolute minimum to get it working and it seems like this kid and his friends were no diffrent. Swapping an engine into a fiero is nowhere near as easy as doing an engine swap on a honda and im pretty sure thats the mentality texasGT and his goons went into this thinking. This is why when doing fiero's i lioke to keep a;; the work to myself. when i go to do an engine swap you better bet im buying a $500 fiero to start with and try my hand at it before runing one of my good ones. I just dont trust anyone to work on my cars except the one guy i have work on my other cars. He recentley got to work on the crim dela crim of my fleet ... Good luck and im glad to see your keeping it.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 11-26-2010).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Just found this thread...LOL

You would not have been disapointed with the M90 based 3800 SC. 300 whp 3800 SC Fiero is scary fast. In the 1/8 mile and from red light to red light they kick much azz. I spanked a few z06 Vetts, and a 500 Hp mustangs in the 1/8 mile. However, those same cars ran 10's in the 1/4 and spanked me..lol.

The turbo will make more power and may sound better but it is NOT as pretty. What are the brand/specs of the turbo? Will it be rear mounted? Good luck and I hope you get on the road soon
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nosrac,

If 300HP is scary fast, then I guess you can say my car should be able to scar me for life when it's done I went back and forth about the whole turbo thing, but I just decided to go ahead and do it since I got such a great deal on it. I actually traded a M112 SC straight up for it, so I was already $750 - $1,000 ahead. I sold the SC stuff to a member to make up some of the costs of upgrading as well.

The turbo is a T4 62-1 Turbonetics. It'll be rear mounted, coming off of a flange on the header. The IC is front mounted, and has a reservoir in the front compartment. I'm going to get some pics when Zack gets it mocked up and ready for install. He's been waiting for a couple of flanges to arrive. Other than that, I believe we're ready to go. Of course I've been saying that for a whole year now December 18th was the one year anniversary since I actually was able to drive my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-20-2010).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Thanks Nosrac,

If 300HP is scary fast, then I guess you can say my car should be able to scar me for life when it's done I went back and forth about the whole turbo thing, but I just decided to go ahead and do it since I got such a great deal on it. I actually traded a M112 SC straight up for it, so I was already $750 - $1,000 ahead. I sold the SC stuff to a member to make up some of the costs of upgrading as well.

The turbo is a T4 62-1 Turbonetics. It'll be rear mounted, coming off of a flange on the header. The IC is front mounted, and has a reservoir in the front compartment. I'm going to get some pics when Zack gets it mocked up and ready for install. He's been waiting for a couple of flanges to arrive. Other than that, I believe we're ready to go. Of course I've been saying that for a whole year now December 18th was the one year anniversary since I actually was able to drive my Fiero.

You will need some traction to be scary fast. I recommend a soft compound street/strip tire to maximize driving pleasure. I have the Hankook Ventus V12 which are great but they make a softer compund that mine and is even better for dry traction.

I was thinking about getting someone to build me a slip joint for my pacesetters with a turbo flange and a wastegate connector. Just in case I feel the need to run 10.9 in the very near furure.

Lastly, are you running 65# injectors?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

You will need some traction to be scary fast. I recommend a soft compound street/strip tire to maximize driving pleasure. I have the Hankook Ventus V12 which are great but they make a softer compund that mine and is even better for dry traction.

I was thinking about getting someone to build me a slip joint for my pacesetters with a turbo flange and a wastegate connector. Just in case I feel the need to run 10.9 in the very near furure.

Lastly, are you running 65# injectors?

Well, I don't know how good they will be for this, but I bought some brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's for the car. Yes, we are using 65# injectors. I don't want to starve the car of fuel as I attempt to go into hyperdrive. I'm actually planning on stopping by there either today or tomorrow. I'll try to take a picture of......something....

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-28-2010).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Well, I don't know how good they will be for this, but I bought some brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's for the car. Yes, we are using 65# injectors. I don't want to starve the car fo fuel as I attempt to go into hyperdrive. I'm actually planning on stopping by there either today or tomorrow. I'll try to take a picture of......something....

Updating this thread with some good news pics will be a great "feel good" just in time for Christmas. I am very interested in a rear mounted turbo setup especially since Tengis is doing yours first and works out all the bugs....lol

I had some Eagle GT's when I first got my swap done and I could light them up with 75% throttle. However, once I sold them and went to 18" wheels which was noticably more traction than the stockers. I could NOT get the tires to spin until I changed my tune. Anyway you slice it you are going to absoutely love it.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear the car is slowly coming along.......Will be well worth it once it is up and running...>Well after you get all the b ugs worked out...
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Lower it.
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Updating this thread with some good news pics will be a great "feel good" just in time for Christmas. I am very interested in a rear mounted turbo setup especially since Tengis is doing yours first and works out all the bugs....lol

I had some Eagle GT's when I first got my swap done and I could light them up with 75% throttle. However, once I sold them and went to 18" wheels which was noticably more traction than the stockers. I could NOT get the tires to spin until I changed my tune. Anyway you slice it you are going to absoutely love it.

Well, I guess I didn't mention that they're 17" Eagle GT's, hopefully that will help them a bit.

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Good to hear the car is slowly coming along.......Will be well worth it once it is up and running...>Well after you get all the b ugs worked out...

Thanks, I definitely appreciate the comment. Between getting the car done and getting a break with my business, maybe I'll even be able to attend a meet.

Originally posted by L67:

Lower it.

New springs and shock are waiting to be put on. It should be lowered by about 1 - 1.5". I'm hoping this will help out with traction too. Since it's a T4, Zack says it won't spool up quite as fast which might actually help a bit with not roasting the tires every time I take off from a stand still.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-21-2010).]

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Officially begining the fab of all the turbo stuff today.

Stuff has been crazy at our new shop with all the work we have been getting ever since we took on this project. We have hired two people to basically do all of the busy work that I was stuck doing up until now. Finally have gotten a bit of a breather over the last two weeks or so.

This beast should be running in the not so distant future. Fun times.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tengis:

Stuff has been crazy at our new shop with all the work we have been getting ever since we took on this project. We have hired two people to basically do all of the busy work that I was stuck doing up until now. Finally have gotten a bit of a breather over the last two weeks or so.

WOOHOO!!!
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Wanna make two of everything for the turbo fab work? Demodding my car back to near stock SC and will be gather parts for a tubro build....PM the info please...
Bradley Jay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear about more progress.
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
Reading some of this post reinforces my desire to do it all myself on my planned swap.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jasonfox:

Reading some of this post reinforces my desire to do it all myself on my planned swap.

If you have the ability, I definitely reccommend it. That way you know who's at fault for everything and you also know a LOT more about the car than when someone does it for you.
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post

If you have the ability, I definitely recommend it. That way you know who's at fault for everything and you also know a LOT more about the car than when someone does it for you.

Agreed. I helped a few mechanics rebuild my first car; nissan maxima. Learned allot. Went from there to learn how to work on nearly anything.

I sure do enjoy it, but it's allot harder now that one of my arms/hands is partially paralyzed. :P I think the build I'm planning will take a year. ^__^
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Well, depending on how things go, I may be selling my calipers and pads soon. I scored some C5 Corvette calipers and won't be able to use my brand new EBC pads with them. I'll have to buy new pads that fit those calipers. I'm not sure yet, Tengis and I need to look into what's needed to swap the calipers to the Vette's. This makes more sense to me though, as I already have the Vette rotors, upgraded brake booster, S-10 master cylinder, new brake lines, etc. If I stick with the stock rotors, I probably won't even be able to use the master cylinder upgrade, as people have advised against it.

Then again, I am looking for a notchback, I might just keep the '88 setup for whatever I get. We'll see, I'll post something here and in the mall if I decide to sell them.

Oh, I stopped by the shop today, and Tengis was working on my car. He's working on an alternator bracket, and trying to get everything planned out before fabrication starts.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-29-2010).]

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Few pic updates. Ive got a good handful of things done I havent taken pictures of yet. Everything is coming along nicely. Nothing seems like it will be a PITA besides the exhaust

Ported inlet with N* adapter blended and very very gutted outlet supercharger case. Everything blocked off and welded closed. Some quicksteel filling in the majority of the BBV hole though. This use to be on my turbo Grand Prix before I switched to a different upper intake setup.

A teaser shot? hah

New 255lph pump in place.

Working on the fuel line stuff. Should be done with all fuel related stuff in the morning after I finish up a few small things.

More pics later.

[This message has been edited by Tengis (edited 01-14-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
This is weird.... I actually don't know how to react to having a competent mechanic working on my car....
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I thnk you are supposed eat 5 lbs of chocalate and then go streaking...of course I could be wrong...
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I thnk you are supposed eat 5 lbs of chocalate and then go streaking...of course I could be wrong...

ok, so I punish my digestive system, then society as a whole... got it! Now where did I put my sandals and black socks? I want to be sure I'm prepared for my debut.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

A teaser shot? hah

Looking good....what's up with the paint on top of the SC..Looks bubbled? Will the turbo be high enough on those headers for the oil reurn to flow?

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
The supercharger is completely gutted, ported, and smooth on the inside. The "bubbles" are actually TIG welds where the metal started getting too thin and even broke through in a few spots when removing the V shape on the top of the inside.

Ive got the oil return covered . Ill have pictures of that interesting setup after I finish a few other small things.

[This message has been edited by Tengis (edited 01-15-2011).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Looks great....so much better than the last shop that started working on this swap.
I do have one piece of constructive criticism, though. For the fuel feed line from the filter. I purchase a AN fitting that screws right into the fuel filter, so that the fuel line doesn't look hacked into. It just looks cleaner in the final product.
Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
I actually noticed I couldve done something like that after the fact. I had already ordered the fittings though and was in the process of installing them =(.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
That happens to me all the time. I fabricate a part and halfway through the build, I realize I could have done it better. Then I tear it apart and get it perfect. Otherwise, I can't look at the car without that part pissing me off....lol
Dave
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Haven't had much of a chance to get out to the shop in the past week. Work has me locked down. Tengis says he's getting stuff situated and should have it fired up in the near future. I've been focusing on gathering parts for the interior and exterior projects. I'm going with a 4th gen firebird interior, and some cool exterior mods that everyone will have to wait until they're done to see.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
A lot has happened on the car recently. It's now going to begin it's journey into Stage II. Here is a quick list of what's been done thanks to Tengis...

Fiero Store stainless steel hard brake lines and hoses installed

Rodney Dickman End Links and other goodies installed

Corvette rotors installed using WCF brackets

Engine is running and drivetrain is all hooked up

Basically, Tengis brought this car back to life and now I have to say goodbye to it while the car transforms into something more "me". I'll let Tengis chime in here if he wants.

Here is a before and after pic of the rotor upgrade.

The car starts it's cross-country journey tomorrow for Stage II, and then it goes on another trip for Stage III. Hopefully I'll have the car back and "finished" by the end of summer, but we'll have to see how it goes. From this point on, I will let the people doing the work also do most of the posting. I honestly just don't have the time, and don't know enough to describe everything accurately. Thanks for the positive posts from people during this saga.

-Michael
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

That happens to me all the time. I fabricate a part and halfway through the build, I realize I could have done it better. Then I tear it apart and get it perfect. Otherwise, I can't look at the car without that part pissing me off....lol
Dave

LOL! I thought I was the only one that did that

Nice build I can't wait to see more.
D.
Bradley Jay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear things are moving along smoothly.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

The three of us up here from the Haus

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

LOL! I thought I was the only one that did that

Nice build I can't wait to see more.
D.

Something tells me you will... Stage III will be of VERY strong interest to you.

Originally posted by Bradley Jay:
Good to hear things are moving along smoothly.

Well, it is MY car and it's red. I don't know if "smoothly" will ever be something that will happen because of these two things, but thanks.

Ah yes... Stage II begins
Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Bunch of pics. Car wasnt 100% complete when it left and had some issues... but its getting pulled apart anyway -_-. Im just sad that I didnt have time to fix a few small things and then haul ass and tune it. Hopefully Haus can get the issues straight when doing the 6 speed.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Nice, thanks for posting those Tengis, I didn't even see most of those pics. Thanks for everything you did to get it out of Stage I and on it's way to Stage II
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

What are you doing for stage2?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

What are you doing for stage2?

Tweaking of the engine and mechanicals, a special project to make my car unique, then off to another adventure. More info to come shortly.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Here she sits waiting to be picked up...

Buh-Bye....Parting is such sweet... well actually JOY!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock