Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Oh my i accidently smashed my rear window. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Oh my i accidently smashed my rear window. by Australian
Started on: 09-19-2009 06:52 AM
Replies: 50
Last post by: Australian on 04-30-2011 05:17 AM
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I've removed one before from a junkyard car. If I remember correctly we removed the clip. Member Jncomutt and I used a piece of spiral wire from home depot and two bolts to saw all the way around the glass, from the inside and out. Not one of the better memories.

A somewhat ironical occurrence, when towing this car to the scrap yard:

The air pressure going down the highway was enough to press the rear window out. I looked out the back of the truck and didn't see the window, stopped, and found it laying down nicely in the engine bay. It was attached to the car by the rear defroster power and ground wire. That glass is wrapped up nicely in storage. I don't really care to saw another one out if a don't have too. Putting the new glass back in is easy, just be sure to space the bottom of the glass correctly. I used the stock rear glass wedges to hold it in place while the the glue dried.
IP: Logged
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Broken rear window = excuse to make it a chop-top?

Ask archie for a kit. soooo worth it at this point.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

Ask archie for a kit. soooo worth it at this point.

The engineering report here would be worth more than the car just for rego.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Ok deciding to use perspex the window is shattered so do i.....Just try kick it out?
I am thinking i am going to need it in one piece so perhaps i try cover it in a 3m contact eg tint, sticky back contact to hold it together so i can trace around it. I am wondering how thick to order the perspex.

I can't seem to get a window guy to work on the car as none want to know about unless it is insurance claim. The glass companies haven't got back to me with a price because they have to import also and the price for postage is ridiculous.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I finished it it is now acrylic it took me about 20 hours to cut out the glass all the shattered bits everywhere and another 10 hours to cut the window right and decal edges to hide all the mastic. Took me ages but glad i did it myself for $150 all up.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I have a back window you can have for free. Just pay for shipping.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

I have a back window you can have for free. Just pay for shipping.

I was offered same by another member and am very grateful for the offer but he cost of shipping is around $600 i fitted my own for $150 all up and lightened the load.
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I took my deck lid off and then took off the hinge to get to the #1 plug to drill it out and as I did the hing smacked the rear window. THANK GOD! It didn't break the glass, but I thought it was gonna. That would Suck. Sorry

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, bought for electric conversion. Currently just fixing all the old stuff

RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
SAME thing happened to me. Luckily it shot out sideways into the yard on the grass.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

... as I did the thing smacked the rear window. THANK GOD! It didn't break the glass,

Originally posted by RenegadeShadow:

SAME thing happened to me. Luckily it shot out sideways into the yard on the grass.

So nobody checks the manuals BEFORE they screw things up?
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102310.html

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
So nobody checks the manuals BEFORE they screw things up?
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102310.html

A few years before when opening the boot the spring bar snapped with an almighty bang and the deck lid never held the lid up then after. I had no idea that even after all of that there was still tension in the bar. Logic would still prevail after reading and without a written warning TENSION ON 2 SIDES would still think that the tension was released when it wasn't both sides. You may also notice if you read back that it was a socket that actually broke it this still would need to be released with or without tension it was my socket wrench that hadn't locked on the socket if it had there would have never been contact.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay