Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Breast Augmentation... or Full Front Trunk (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Breast Augmentation... or Full Front Trunk by fieroboom
Started on: 11-26-2008 12:11 AM
Replies: 70
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 11-30-2011 02:23 PM
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

No problem disagreeing...it shows that we are all using our heads for something other than to hold our hats.

As an Engineer, I've found that most any design can be made to work. It's just a question of how difficult. I'm sure you can figure out how to route the air, but I've found that small changes can make a huge different. It might take some trial and error. I'm running without an air dam and the car is about 10 to 15 degrees hotter on the expressway. You will probably need to open the fascia a bit. I don't think there are any fans that can move enough air to cool at expressway speeds, (the engine is making tons of heat which needs to be removed). All cars, Even the Porsche's and Lamborghini's have to force the air in at some level.

I understand your goals, which are to maximize trunk space and that is a worthy goal, one that Pontiac obviously neglected.

I'm also curious...your car seems to have a lot of surface rust, did it come from up north? I'm not used to seeing any rust on Texas vehicles. I've cut up Fieros with less rust. I'm sure you will POR-15 the whole thing at some point.

Whew, I'm glad that went over well... Some people just simply explode when disagreed with, but I love discussions and ideas! To my knowledge, the car was never up north, but if you ever get a moment, take a gander at the website in my signature, and you'll see where I did get it from. It sat for at least 10 years, but 12 is probably more like it. And yes, I plan to permanently prevent that rust from ever happening again, that is, after some major hours with a sandblaster, big burly wire brush, and good old sandpaper.

Back to the radiator... Pontiac's design for the radiator was great - if the hood is vented. The rad is slanted such that it pulls air up, and with a vent, it pulls it up and out. By flipping it, I created somewhat of a leading edge that *should* somewhat scoop that air. But that wasn't even the goal for me; the goal was to be able to flow the air directly back down, and deal with it there, and that would maximize the trunk volume.
Now, a dam-less front fascia would be the perfect test for me, because of the way I'm planning to get the air to the rad. In the above images, you'll notice the leading edge protrudes ever so slightly below the fascia, and from underneath, the fascia is cut such that it looks like it were designed that way. A bit of sheet metal or fiberglass, and it could become an out-of-sight scoop for real, and the flow could be routed quickly out the sides, or whatever appears to be the best & easiest.
I'm trying to give ideas for a somewhat mild mod that others could do, because I'm not really planning on having any of that stuff up there anyway, but seeing someone else take my idea and run with it and make it operational with minimal costs and time would be cool.
I'll probably go ahead and prototype it out with cardboard and then maybe some sheet metal. Hopefully I can make it into a kit... Wouldn't that be cool?
I'm headed to the junkyard on payday to cut the trunk floor (with the spare tire basin) out of some random car, and bring it back for test fits and such. That will give me a much better idea of what can be done with the air flow.
Also, retaining the stock slant, and relocating the bottom bracket like 2" down and 3-4" back would drop it completely out of the way as well, but I don't have the bolts and such to test that theory out yet (but I am planning on trying both ways and see what would be the easiest and still effective).

w00t! page 2 pwnage!

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 11-28-2008).]

IP: Logged
RumbleB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBDirect Link to This Post
Wow! There's some creative thinking, going on here. Although, I can't copy the idea of the spare tire laying flat, because I mounted the battery up there. It does, give me ideas for cleaning up the bulk head. Now, I just need a way to reduce the size or hide the brake booster.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Which ever way you tilt the radiator, make sure you seal the air inlet side really tight. There have been countless overheating issues on here and many of them stem from not having the radiator sealed to the inlet side or a lack of fan shroud. Most of these car stay cool in town with the fan running, but can't maintain a decent temp at highway speeds.

Ideally you want your car to keep its cool above 35mph without any fan. A properly designed air inlet and sealed radiator will far exceed the airflow of the fan with the car in motion. The fan should only be for idle and stop/go traffic.

member fan motors will fail as will the fan relay. When they do, you would really like to be able to get the car home without a tow bill.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Which ever way you tilt the radiator, make sure you seal the air inlet side really tight. There have been countless overheating issues on here and many of them stem from not having the radiator sealed to the inlet side or a lack of fan shroud. Most of these car stay cool in town with the fan running, but can't maintain a decent temp at highway speeds.

Ideally you want your car to keep its cool above 35mph without any fan. A properly designed air inlet and sealed radiator will far exceed the airflow of the fan with the car in motion. The fan should only be for idle and stop/go traffic.

member fan motors will fail as will the fan relay. When they do, you would really like to be able to get the car home without a tow bill.

Excellent advice. This is something I have experienced, but I forgot to mention it in my post. 100% agreed, thanks fieroguru!
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Bump Don't let this die. keeper going.....
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
What are you going to do with the coolant bottle? Doesn't it need to stay above the radiator inlet? -Although I think I just answered my question...

Bob
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

What are you going to do with the coolant bottle? Doesn't it need to stay above the radiator inlet? -Although I think I just answered my question...

Bob

In all honesty, I haven't decided yet on what should be done with the bottle. You could relocate it to the rear, since it's lightweight, but then again, it's operation is dependent upon the release valve built into the radiator cap, I think....
I never thought this thread would be so popular... You guys are taking me away from my concept build because I keep getting new ideas and have to try them!
Today is shop cleanup day, because lastnight I made a huge mess doing a tutorial on how to completely disassemble your doors and with a small shop, you have to be militant in keeping it clean!
I'll brainstorm some more today and see what I can come up with. I really need to find a cordless sawzall so I can go cut out the floor of a regular trunk with the spare tire dip in it, and see how it fits in with everything up front.

Could someone please post some rough dimensions of your spare tire? I don't have a Fiero spare, so I'm guessing at sizes (and using my Cadillac spare), but if I know the total diameter and the total width, I can calculate a lot better. Thanks!

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Foo. I don't think I have a small spare anymore, I carry a full size in my trunk. Let me check to see If I still have one somewhere....
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I don't have my car or I would run out and measure it. Keep up the work.
reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reverendSend a Private Message to reverendDirect Link to This Post
Best I can measure on my spare is 6 inches wide and 21 inches diameter. This is in the dark and rain. So rough estimates.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reverend:

Best I can measure on my spare is 6 inches wide and 21 inches diameter. This is in the dark and rain. So rough estimates.

That's perfect, thank you.
PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Just read through the posts in detail.....

For those who may be thinking of slanting their radiator toward the rear in the northern states: Be careful. If you run in snow, you'll be plowing all of it right onto the radiator. Lots of cold snow on a hot radiator isn't good. Tilted forward tends to slide it under the car. tilted back you'll be scooping it up.

In AZ, I don't see this as being a problem.

That's a LOT of space you freed up. Did I miss where you were putting the washer fluid?
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

Just read through the posts in detail.....

For those who may be thinking of slanting their radiator toward the rear in the northern states: Be careful. If you run in snow, you'll be plowing all of it right onto the radiator. Lots of cold snow on a hot radiator isn't good. Tilted forward tends to slide it under the car. tilted back you'll be scooping it up.

In AZ, I don't see this as being a problem.

That's a LOT of space you freed up. Did I miss where you were putting the washer fluid?

Yes, washer & coolant bottles haven't been decided yet, but they are in the back of my mind...
And thanks for pointing out the snow; I hadn't thought of that. But if you look closely at my images, only about an inch, maybe 2 is protruding below the fascia; It's just a tiny bit lower than stock... So I don't *think* it would be an issue...
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2008 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
This was posted in this thread

Originally posted by tesmith66:

It's not a direct bolt-in, but it will fit with some custom bracketry. I mounted mine by lowering the bottom bracket 2" and widening the top one.

I was worried a little about dropping it an inch or so, but apparently 2" is even fine...
85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2008 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
The amount of rust I see on this chassis really freaks me out. Anybody that wants a cherry spaceframe should come to SW Nevada and get a rust free one for next to nothing from one of our many wreaking yards.

RUST?
(Nevada doesn't get it).

"Watchutalkin'boutWillis?"
~Gary Coleman
(One of the few humans on earth that would think the Fiero is too big!)

[This message has been edited by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar (edited 12-06-2008).]

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2008 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar:

The amount of rust I see on this chassis really freaks me out. Anybody that wants a cherry spaceframe should come to SW Nevada and get a rust free one for next to nothing from one of our many wreaking yards.

RUST?
(Nevada doesn't get it).

"Watchutalkin'boutWillis?"
~Gary Coleman
(One of the few humans on earth that would think the Fiero is too big!)

"Driving directions to Nevada
2,078 mi – about 1 day 9 hours"

Heh, not really worth a cherry frame. There aren't many Fieros here in Alabama... actually not a whole lot in the Southeast that I know of (except of Florida... they have tons of em).

You can read why I'm still working with that rust-encrusted frame in my build thread if you want to.

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2008 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
Fieroboom~

Got it, glad you sent me to your build, so I could see.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2008 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar:

Fieroboom~

Got it, glad you sent me to your build, so I could see.

Well, not much to see... yet... but it's got a special place in my heart, so the build continues...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboom:

Heh, not really worth a cherry frame. There aren't many Fieros here in Alabama... actually not a whole lot in the Southeast that I know of (except of Florida... they have tons of em).

Not sure how far you are from Toney, but doesn't Ed Parks have like 200 or something Fieros up there??

I'm sure your frame will be fine after you coat it, but if I were to do an extensive highly modified Fiero, I would start with a rust free frame. Plenty of them here in Texas as well.

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2008 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Not sure how far you are from Toney, but doesn't Ed Parks have like 200 or something Fieros up there??

I'm sure your frame will be fine after you coat it, but if I were to do an extensive highly modified Fiero, I would start with a rust free frame. Plenty of them here in Texas as well.

Just visited The Fiero Factory this weekend... and it's over 300 Fieros... You can peek at the latter part of my build thread for pics of the visit if you want.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Chop the chassis (it's rusty anyway).

Put in a wider and shorter radiator.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 12-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
How are we doing on the larger trunk?
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, I haven't even had time to mess with anything on my concept. Thanksgiving, Christmas, pouring time into keeping the aging Cadillac on the road, then buying another vehicle and fixing a few minor things on it have all completely consumed my time. Shoot, I got an '88 Formula over a month ago, and haven't even had time to go get it and bring it to my house!!

Anyway, from everything I've done, and all the positioning I've done, it looks like it'll work extremely well. When I get the '88 home, I'll most likely implement this concept and let you know how I did it, and how it works.

Until I actually get started on it, here's my plan, in case anyone else wants to try:
- Drop the steering rack support brackets about 1.5" (probably just lengthen them so that area drops, that way it's still a solid mount).
- Drop the front sway bar about 2".
- Flip the bottom radiator support bracket so that it juts out forward instead of aft (so that the airflow is up & in, down & out).
- Cut a trunk floor from some other car that has a small spare (Honda Civic maybe?), cut it down to size, and weld it in.
- Work out the airflow leaving the radiator, and going around the spare tire bucket without jamming it underneath.

I've already posted these, but here they are again for refreshment. This shows the basic concept with the drops really well (note the bottom rad bracket isn't even fully mounted):

And here's how far it sticks down WITH all of those drops, in comparison to the front air dam:

And here's the room you gain:

The air will all be ducted into the rad so there's positive flow. For instance, the space above the radiator will have a nice curved cover over it to facilitate the air coming up, in, then down at a ~45o-ish angle through the radiator, and underneath will be boxed in as well, and dissipated so it doesn't jam up under the car.

If anyone decides to try this, post here please, otherwise I'll update it again when I do it (very soon hopefully)

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 01-12-2009).]

Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work. Hopefully I'll do this some time. It's so useful.

-Michael
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
cool idea !
just thinking out loud...
with a 3 core rad that is more efficient.. you could size the rad smaller and not as tall
this would allow you to tip it further forward perhaps... the space gained probably isnt
worth the cost of the alum rad.. unless you were having one made anyways.
another thought... a sirocco rad or two small honda rads might work too

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B H3 turbo and a S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
bump
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I thought this idea was dead, but so far, I've had at least 4 PMs and now a bump... Guess I better get my butt in gear and show some real results!
-Paul
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Spring Bump!!!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
summer bump!!!!
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Bump!! PM me pics please cause i cant see them on the thread!

------------------
Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087369.html

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
most of the pics are dead :/ and i thought this was gonna be a thread about boobies

ive been thinking of how to make the front trunk larger since i dont need a spare and me actual trunk has a huge gaping hole.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 11-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay