Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Custom body kit build up thread. Australian (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Custom body kit build up thread. Australian by Australian
Started on: 10-15-2007 06:50 AM
Replies: 110
Last post by: Australian on 02-25-2012 10:49 AM
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Got anymore pictures of the installed wheels / car?
IP: Logged
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Got anymore pictures of the installed wheels / car?

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

pics not working.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
pics not working.

Yeah i spent last night stuffing around with my server but i think i found the problem why the new images aren't showing up i just paid my bill so thought it was that but it seems i got a new server and i was ftping to old server all sorted....

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 10-23-2009).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
new pics of the fatter rear and new site http://www.wedriveexcitement.com
bit dark will take some more when i get more batteries for my camera.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 11-18-2009).]

AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Australian, where did you get your flairs from?

[This message has been edited by AmericanMuscle (edited 12-16-2009).]

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
i like the flares. now you are going wider! i hope for the best they look okay !! cant wait to see this thing finished!!! good luck and good job
Daniel H

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel HSend a Private Message to Daniel HDirect Link to This Post
Looks cool!
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AmericanMuscle:

Australian, where did you get your flairs from?

Ok The front set are 3' 72-77 celica flares that is what is staying on front.
The rears are 3' 72-77 celica flares that i cut the lip off then glassed a universal 3' flare so about 6 inches wider im just smoothing making it look sweet. I will need to tidy up inside the guards which i will do over my holiday break and 2 pack primer it.

I really havent given any good angles in any of my pics i blame the space i had to stand in begining i have 2x2 car ports as you may have worked out just wish they were garages the lighting has been poor when i have taken pics every other time i think about it the batteries are flat. I will put the doors on this Sunday if i can be bothered i work 45- 50 hours every week so hard to be motivated to work on car but i am taking a whopping 17 days off over xmas so going for the finish line.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004

Originally posted by ghost187x:

i like the flares. now you are going wider! i hope for the best they look okay !! cant wait to see this thing finished!!! good luck and good job

It was looking just okay before i decided to make it wider now it is looking much better as i am moulding in the ground effects..
AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Ok The front set are 3' 72-77 celica flares that is what is staying on front.
The rears are 3' 72-77 celica flares that i cut the lip off then glassed a universal 3' flare so about 6 inches wider im just smoothing making it look sweet. I will need to tidy up inside the guards which i will do over my holiday break and 2 pack primer it.

I really havent given any good angles in any of my pics i blame the space i had to stand in begining i have 2x2 car ports as you may have worked out just wish they were garages the lighting has been poor when i have taken pics every other time i think about it the batteries are flat. I will put the doors on this Sunday if i can be bothered i work 45- 50 hours every week so hard to be motivated to work on car but i am taking a whopping 17 days off over xmas so going for the finish line.

Ahh, got it, I misunderstood reading earlier in your post, thinking they were "for" a Celica and not "from" a Celica. Was hoping I could buy an off the shelf flair.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AmericanMuscle:

Ahh, got it, I misunderstood reading earlier in your post, thinking they were "for" a Celica and not "from" a Celica. Was hoping I could buy an off the shelf flair.

I also made sure i bought a spare set of the fenders in case i ever have a bingle. The 4 celica ones need a fair bit of work to be finished very rough but hopefully only never have to use them and a spare 2 universal fenders i bought them on ebay in case i have an accident so i can fix it the same. I bought all my flares on ebay all from overseas. The ones i got from USA were the universal and cheap i paid 100$ delivered to Australia but i think they were about $60 in the US. The celica ones were about $200. I had to cut every fender flare to make it sit flush and bolted, rivoted, and glassed them to the car. Don't be deluded by my build it has taken hundreds of hours and a lot of designing blending on the doors to make it look any good just purely glassing on and smoothing out looks wrong i needed to make it look like a real car rather than a poor body kit. You may find there is just as much work as installing a complete bodykit so be warned there are no shortcuts because a half done job isn't worth starting.. This is a cheap option but requires lots of labor and a good eye to make it work.
Tip Design your car from the wheels up only i can not stress this enough! Do not just make your car wide with intension of wheel shopping you must buy the wheels first if you want it to fit and look right.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-17-2009).]

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
hahahaha
Not happy with small flares then make them bigger
Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonDirect Link to This Post
Did you just fiberglass the 'glass flares onto the poly front and rear bumper extensions? If yes.then I think you may have a cracking issue down the road as the poly expands and bends more than the fiberglass.Has anyone else tried this? You may be better off pulling moulds off the body and casting the parts up out of all glass.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Deerson:

Did you just fiberglass the 'glass flares onto the poly front and rear bumper extensions? If yes.then I think you may have a cracking issue down the road as the poly expands and bends more than the fiberglass.Has anyone else tried this? You may be better off pulling moulds off the body and casting the parts up out of all glass.

I am confident i wont have a cracking issue i drove he car to work a few months ago and thrashed the car around over speed humps even had air. The only part that cracked was the only part i didn't rivot which i since have. I havent glassed it directly to anything everything is held on with rivots screws and bolts it won't fall off even without fibreglass. There is a lot of strenth in my build i would happily hit any part with a rubber mallet and be confident it will stay.

The only part now that is formed against polyeurothane is the bottom 2 inches of the bumper. I had to rebuild my nose when i bought the car i didnt have the flat piece that was all broken and i drove the car for years after i fixed it so i thought about that all the way along. I have a friend that has done the same to a metal car now that is where you will have some cracking problems. Cracking is due to loose fit or too much filler instead of glass I have done my best and avoided this.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-18-2009).]

DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronDirect Link to This Post
actually looking pretty good?

------------------
want a real upgrade?
Lamborghini Kit Cars cheap ammo

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

The car has some 2 pack primer on most parts eagerly awaiting my flare finish i will put car on stands and do the insides before i perfect outside as i will only be thinking about it till i do it the rest is quite tidy underneath.

------------------
http://www.wedriveexcitement.com

AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Im thinkin something like this

I really like the Torque thrust wheels

http://www.wheelsforless.co...spx?Keywords=VN10551
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
This guy kept his side moulding with flares i think it looks good. 640bmw replica

thanks to madcurl for finding me the image.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have actually shaped the rear flares now and blended them nicely still got a day of work to do on them as will 2paqck it same time i am very slow i know. I also bought a rear diffuser so i am keen for it to arrive for a pontiac aka commodore R8 but will chop up my bumper to fit it. This is a photoshop of what it looks like on a stock GT.
I bought it from an aussie power seller but i am still sceptical of it as the pics were not of the product but pictures of cars and no description so see how i go fingers crossed that i don't get screwed. It should arrive tomorrow.

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Yay it arrived and looks like no modification needed to the diffuser itself just need to cut the bumper it will fit perfectly.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

just posted these in a widebody thread but update.....
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
That's what I love about you Australians, as a culture you seem to be very "do it yourself" oriented. Nice work, can't wait to see the finished product...

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

I am working on a perfect underbody to match. The car is on axel stands i put the wheels on to see my clearences have about 2 inches up so i wont be scraping.

I am going to leave the diffuser for a while as it is only rear bumper and can paint that again on its own. I think i am going to enjoy the car as is for a while before i redesign the rear. I will hold till next summer i might do a tad more than just a cut install it to tweak it bury it deeper into the bar. I plan on spraying rest of it with hi fill sanding it back and spraying it soon I am happy with my modifications as a base for further changes.

I see the evolution of my car in this thread and I knew it wouldnt just look right just bolting these parts on. It really has taken some tweaking to get the design i had in mind into the project. I also couldn't stand the idea of having it not perfect so that is why i am putting so much effort into under the car. I have a day of sanding more before i reglass the rear inner guards and another day of sanding resining and wait another day sanding again after before i redo the front inner guards. I will then spray rubber paint over the stock and the join and paint the rest making a very tidy underbody. As for an amateur i still can't let build quaility suffer both sides must be the same and it must look right if see things that need tweaking i must do it as i can't be thinking about what i should have done wishing i did. If i didn't think this way i am sure i would be driving it long ago wishing i did more. I am sure a lot of people were not sure whether my car was going to look any good from the first pic i think i have come a long way. If there was a bolt kit on i would have bought it.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-29-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

I thought id do a photoshop poor i know but gives an idea of what it will look like if i put it all back together but wanting to paint it first as everything already lines up.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I finished sanding the underbody to perfection i am proud of it and painted on some more resin to waterproof it all properly before sound deadening it tomorrow. I will also repaint whole underbody as bought 6 cans of spray paint for what i don't sound deaden. The car is almost finished i will high fill 2 pack it tomorrow. The shaping is finished the only part i have to fix is some cuts in the bumper where previous owner cut the bumper to fit the licence plate ours are bigger i am going to fix it to original and and do something with my plate instead so it can still be read but fit in the space. I might even take some more pics tomorrow depending whether or not i can show a complete car as if i decide to paint it in a booth i will put the car togther to drive it there. I will prime it athome here tomorrow but ummingand arring over doing the color coats here.
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Glad to see you're still making progress - it will certainly be one of a kind.

Let's see some pics when it's back together.

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have painted the underbody the inner guards the brakes control arms etc and half of the bottom of the car the rear i need to degrease to perfect it. The underbody rear can wait as it isnt bad and im talking under the car the inner guards are done in fact the whole car is. I never got the primer on i took all last week off to finish the car but did well finished the bumper too. I havent installed the diffuser as i am on the rush for completion it will be project B. The car is ready for priming and painting i hope to add some color to this thread very soon. Working 6 days again this week so hope to prime it next sunday and start cutting back for painting the following weekend. Well that is the goal to be done and bling in a few weeks. I do have one concern about my front if a low profile tyre scrapes in front i may have to lift the front. I am thinking i will be ok but haven't bought the new tyres yet as presently have 40 series on front for test fit and it is tight worrying about scraping can easily go downsize to 20-25/245 which i am sure then will be fine. The rears are no problem as i built the rear around the wheels and can fit as fat as i can afford on those rims. The color has been decided

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-17-2010).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
That is alot of work, trust me... I am just not sure it looks, uummm.. I dont know.

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
The pics are aweful and i do have black paint over front guard and from underneath as sprayed all the edges before the sound deadner. The shape isn't coming thru in the pics and even looks wavey due to both layering in specs of paint over the top of the primer on front and hitting it a few times with paint. The rear looks like the wheel is against back or guard but it isnt. It looks more belled in the pics and doesn't flatten out like they look in pics. It is all rounded smooth and ready for paint just with the 10 million colours it is at present the shape can't be seen. The only thing that needs another tweek is under he front bar where i removed my glassing and decided to simply bolt to the car. Didn't look at it again till the pic and i knew i had a bit to do one side would have picked up on it before it was over. The mouding all fitted in but i have some new bits so will need to cut it up again I did um and arr over smoothing out the trim this week but i spent all the time dremmeling the shape right and the clock is up for now going to paint it. I did get a visit from another PFF member last night and said it is looking nothing like the pics and he is right i think it maybe a real surprise to see it after it has been blocked and painted up. There will be further mods in the future as i may open the vents right up in time but i am very happy with the look of it now. Most here would want a fatter wheel on rear that will be a future investment for now the current or a wider spacer i am liking the funny car look with present wheel spacer.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
All in primer ready for paint there is etch primer present so still hides the shape. Hope to paint when i get a weekend off work.
Still have to cut it back but it is in high fill.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-31-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
base coat only just a pic from phone

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 07-06-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

still needs clear tomorrow it will be finished.

This is what the color really looks like to the eye but yes it appears to change between gold and orange.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 07-31-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Shiny paint and what the color looks like to the eyes.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Personally (IMHO) I think ya went a little too far out with the rear tubs (heavy pitch angle) But Looks good none the less. Can't wait to see it done.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Looks great (love the color) but I'm wondering why you chose not to eliminate the belt moldings while you were glassing in the flares. Just esthetics I know but it would've cleaned up the lines.

Still nice work, man!

BTW, are those Jim's (AusFiero) side vents? I didn't know he was still doing them.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 08-06-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
In Australia the wheels must be within the guards you would be surprised what gets knocked back on rego here.
No point tubbing if it doesn't look tubbed imo i had it flared and it looked pseudo. I can put on even wider wheels or take up the gap with an inch wider spacer i plan to eliminate spacers altogether but will look at hubs and wheels again with rotor upgrade.

The molding looks like it belongs so far haven't shown a pic of it with molding on. I didn't eliminate the trim because i wanted to keep the car as fiero as possible it was a thought all the way along to remove it but every smoothed fiero i have seen has had wavy lines and am well aware what is required to get it perfect i am not feeling up to it and don't think it looks good enough for the effort i would rather do whole kit.

The heavy pitch you may notice doesn't interfere with the space in my wheel arches note how high i started and where it finishes and how much wheel i really can fit under there with no rubbing. but i love the funny car look I also have plans for a rear diffuser, bonnet and hood scoops but i just want to enjoy the car a while.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Doors will go on next weekend had a terrible shock to see my paint cracking up on the flat spots. Can see hairline cracks grrr i am still happy with the paint i just lost my show car status is all so upset about that.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 08-22-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004
I need to either buy a bigger spacer or fatter wheels but i will wait till i sort out new brakes before i do that as don't wish to restrict myself to parts.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Just curious...what the heck happened to the rear window?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock