daily drivers by BlackGT Codde
Started on: 11-03-2010 10:07 PM
Replies: 47
Last post by: mtjd25 on 11-07-2010 09:41 PM
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
i wanna hear about your daily driver.
engine, tranny, how hard it is to work on. what has broken. anything
i had a v6 4sp 86 se until the trans started howling.(diff bearings) now im running a duke s10 that just got 9 mpg my fiero got 30 and now im a little perplexed.
what kind of durability have some of you duke owners experienced. mpg too.

[This message has been edited by BlackGT Codde (edited 11-03-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackGT Codde:

i had a v6 4sp 86 se until the trans started howling.(diff bearings) now im running a duke s10 that just got 9 mpg my fiero got 30 and now im a little perplexed.

Well my official DD is an 06 ShEclipse GT V6. It gets in the mid 20's MPG wise and can deffenetley get out of its own way.

My fiero DD is an 87 GT 5 speed that likes to give me sh*t every now and than.

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
well ive experienced that on my v6 too it gives me ****
but if i quit messing with it, it tends to run for a while.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

well ive experienced that on my v6 too it gives me ****
but if i quit messing with it, it tends to run for a while.

I do have to hand it to my GT. Aside from its most recent screw up with the steering wheel wobble it has been a great car. While my firebird was down it was my DD for a good 8 months.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Right now my DD is an 88 duke automatic. Had a LOT of frame rot on the upper frame rail, trunk corner and rockers. Replaced and fixed. Auto trans died after it dropped a coolant line (crap 'repair by a PO) so I put a 'new' trans in. Was slipping but OK right now. Trans oil pan was a bugger to get to seal. FIVE attempts later it appears to be leak free!. However the engine Oil filter cover (in oil pan) won't seal so drops oil wherever I park it. Alt died, replaced. Coolant hose sprang a leak, replaced with flexible metal one.
Something is 'clunking' on the passenger side. Runs great, not a lot of power but fine for local driving and on the freeway. Will attack the 'clunk' and oil leak issue when I get it in the garage which I cannot do right now because...

My 85 v6 4 speed is in there. Leaky sun roof, now fixed and I want to replace the sway bar linkages (rattling). Might replace the front shocks as well while it is up in the air. When that comes out the garage it becomes my DD and the 88 goes in.
Gear box on the 85 broke at one point, replaced it. Water pump leaked, replaced it. Alt failed, replaced it, brake calipers and rotors all shot, replaced them, brake hose collapsed, replaced it. Ignition module died, replaced it. Well, you get the idea. Pretty much everything serious that needed doing is done now although it needs a coat of paint and a new windshield. Oh, and the radio only receives NPR!

Have two Fieros. Drive one, fix the other. Swap and repeat indefinitely...

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 11-03-2010).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver. Doesn't look as good as the pic shows (a bit of hazing on the paint job).

1986 Fiero GT. Put around 40-50 miles a day on it.
5 speed Getrag, 278,XXX miles on the car, power locks, sunroof, rear decklid release.
Poly dog bone, Rodney's shift cables, Ferrari ball shifter, white face gauges, near perfect interior, ASA wheels, self-dimming mirror, fog lamps.
Needs a new exhaust, oil pressure sensor is bad (need a new oil line for it too), third gear is a tad hard to get into, needs an alignment, driver's side door doesn't lock from outside, just fixed sticking driver's headlight.

... yet it still gets looks and people asking to buy it. Fieros are fun when you can drive the heck out of them. I drive it until it breaks, fix it, and I'm off on my way again.

For other daily duty I putt around in a '97 Eclipse Spyder.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 11-03-2010).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
DD= 87 GT 5 speed, get mid-high 20s with mixed driving. Has 96k on it. All stock mechanically, still needs a tune up and oil change. Problems so far: Blown water pump, shifter locking me in gear (clutch issue), master cylinder shot, power locks and mirrors not working.. Just hit 2 trees with it, commute is 5hrs a day now haha.. Loving life
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
My personal DD is a 86 Dookie/Isuzu 5spd and I beat the snot out of it and it doesn't seem at all fazed by the abuse.

The family car is a '98 Malibu 3.1 V6/auto that I'm doing my best to baby because it's all we have to transport the whole family in and I don't want to risk it breaking on us...
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
My DD is my 86 GT with 2.8 and a 4T60 Auto swapped in. The auto is slipping bad in third and the trans pan leaks a tad but I've got a replacement lined up. I figure if i have the cradle dropped I might as well swap in a 3.4 so thats my next project.

As far as problems, its not been bad. After I got it running, I've had to replace the TPS, alternator (total PITA with the 4T60), new tires, $50 paint job, spruced up the interior with a radio and a glovebox, and thats been about it. After I swap out the trans and the block with a 3.4 I'm going to start working on the suspension.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Summer.

Winter.

Both are needy, the vette being alot more needy.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
85GT, auto.... 132,500miles. I drive it around 400 miles a week, at ~20mpg.

Fun fun.
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
86 2m4 5 speed. Only problem I had was i had to replace the clutch when I bought it and I had to replace the spark wires..I have yet to fix the code 22. It's about to hit 180k miles. I do miss the good quality of the nissan I was driving...but its not as cool as this fiero.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the day!

During the working week, I'm lumbered with my work car - a 2008 Daihatsu Sirion 1.0. Three cylinders of terrible, but it can fit a LOT of stuff in it for a little car. 8L/100km highway.
Whenever I'm not at work, it's the Fiero - 1987 SE V6 auto. Lowered and big feet but otherwise stock. About 10L/100km highway... although it's less if I'm not giving it stick!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Carcenomy (edited 11-04-2010).]

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
My DD is either an 08 Chevy Malibu or an 07 Chevy Silverado. The reason I like to drive the Malibu is because I drive 32 miles one way to work and this is very beneficial to the drive. I love my truck because it hauls nuts. Other than that my 86 Fiero will become my daily driver before the new year I hope. :P
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
In 2008 I had an '89 S-10, 2WD, short cab, short box, 2.5L, 5-speed, no options. It did 28 mpg in town, and 35 on the highway with the tailgate down. I sold it, then regretted it. so I found an '86 S-10, virtually identical except 4-speed manual. It did 25 / 29 mpg. I think it needed an o2 sensor, but then it developed a problem with the clutch hydraulics, so I swapped in a 350 with 700R-4.
Back in '02 I had a different '89 S-10, again 2WD and SWB, but with every option. 4.3, auto, a/c, et cetera. Even so, it did 28 mpg highway with a 2" drop and 3.42:1 rear gears in place of the original 3.08:1s, and again, tailgate down.
I know the stupid Mythbusters say it doesn't help, but they only tested a long bed short cab Dakota. I say it depends on more factors than they tested, and I can prove that SWB S-10s do better with the tailgate down, whether 2.5L or 4.3L. I just have to find my old gas receipts with the odometer readings written on them.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
05 Sunfire. Base coupe. 5-speed & 35+ mpg. Its been a very reliable car. I've only had to replace the muffler hanger belt that rusted off.

Next spring my DD will be my 86 GT with new Antique plates on it. Its in hibernation till then.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Up until about 1 month ago when I sold it, my daily driver was an 88 coupe with a 4.3/4T60. It would pull down 24-28 mpg most weeks doing my commute and up to 32 on the highway. Now I am back to my 97 Siverado 4x4 until I get another 88 coupe up and running with the 4.3/F40 swap.

The funny thing is the wife keeps telling me I need to get another fiero running... going from 24-28 MPG to 15-17 MPG is a significant difference to the fuel budget when I drive close to 19 miles each way to work.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-04-2010).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
If I dont care about Gas, I daily drive a 2004 F150 Heritage.. silver with a camp topper.

If I want to save gas, I get in the "Special". She's a mod-ed 86 coupe with custom enkei rims. I have added almost every factory option to this car except power windows and mirrors. Getting paint in the spring, hopeefully, and then I will no longer consider it a DD.

Talk about fuel budget differences.. it takes twice as much gasoline to drive every week with the truck. Fiero hovers around 40 bucks a week, the truck is closer to 90 a week. 84 miles a day, 5 days a week.

On all highway driving (long trip) my duke gets 39-44mpg. Luckily, my trip is almost all highway. I had a duke I drove to work for almost 5 years.. never broke down, but it did rust out eventually. The motor is STILL going at 156k+

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 11-04-2010).]

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
I drive an 88 duke 5 speed. 172,000 miles. I average 34 mpg on my short commute.
kkavmann69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kkavmann69Send a Private Message to kkavmann69Direct Link to This Post
Mine is an 86 SE and it seems that all the little things are going at the same time now. Not complaining just an observation. I enjoy driving my Fiero.

------------------
Chuck
86 Fiero SE

bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
1987 GT V-6 auto(yes I know) it has been pretty reliable only thing that went wrong was a ICM. but a lot of thing have been gone throught just in case. Never letf me stranded. knock on wood.

2009 G8 GT with a few goodies

[This message has been edited by bristowb (edited 11-04-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I like the colour of your GT bristowb.. looks great with the black lace wheels.

My DD is an '02 Golf TDI, 4.8L/100km and I need it. I average 200km/day with my commute. The Fiero has been doing its share lately though, it's a PITA to have to fill the tank just about every day though if I drive to work. 1200km/tank versus 300km/tank...

Brad

------------------

1987 Fiero GT - 3800 Series III, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Magnaflow

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I rotate between a 2.8 328 rebody, an 84 2.5 notchback and a 94 Camaro with a 3.4. The 84 and the 94 Camaro are mileage champs, the Fiero has almost 200K miles and the Camaro is at 280K. The Fiero left me stranded once when the timing gear let go and the Camaro got me when the Fuel pump died. Both have been reliable as heck. I've only had the 328 rebody for a couple years now, no issues.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica.
87 Coutach replica

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
Daily driver??
Why my Toyota pickup with the trusty 22R engine!
Aint nothing more reliable! (In my opinion of course)

Is this where I inject the "Oh, what a feeling, Toyota!" jingle?

Kit

Red87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Red87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
i got an '87 GT 5 speed 105,000mi

its got a lifter tick, needs a timing chain, could use an alignment, the cat is going out, and it doesnt need it now but the front needs new brake rotors and pads.

so far i have replaced, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, rear brake bads/rotors/calipers/hoses, parking brake cables, shift select cable, rebuilt both headlights, and the exhaust rusted off once so i repaired and re-welded that.

its been a great car to me so far. the problems havent been too hard to fix except the spark plugs and wires because of the lack of room but i cant really complain it is 23 years old now. plust before i bought the car the last owner literally let it sit for 10 years. it was in a garage but still if if the car was driven regularly you will probably be better off than than mine.

this is what it looks like as of right now minus the fron license plate

GT85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT85Send a Private Message to GT85Direct Link to This Post
My daily driver is a 1985 GT, 4 speed. It has broken down twice within the last month. The timing cover gasket started leaking and so I fixed that, then a front lower ball joint broke, so I fixed that. Neither fix cost me more than 50 bucks. Usually, it is pretty reliable and when it does break down, the fix is generally simple and cheap.

That being said, the car is not great cosmetically. The interior basically needs to be replaced and the paint job is pretty awful, but I have two kids and a pregnant wife, so there is no money for car projects. If you have mechanical knowledge, tools and a place to work, an old fiero is a great daily driver... Just keep a few bucks tucked aside in case it breaks.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
an 07 silverado now. got it last aug/sept?. along with a honda motorcycle when the weathers good. since about '97 i usually had at least two vehicles sharing the daily duties.

retired my fieros when i got the truck. the two i was driving were both giving a lot of trouble and going ahead and getting the truck seemed like the best/practical idea (the truck also replaced a blazer that had been down a long while). plus it doubled my insurance getting the truck and i wouldn't be driving the fieros 'til they're repaired anyway.

86gt (that had just about been the main driver since about 2001) that needs a clutch and was running rough anyway, and an 87duke convertible that i think needs a fuel pump and it's getting to be the wrong season to be trying to drive anyway.

hoping to bring at least one back on line by spring, maybe both depending on repair and what insurance deal i can find.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
hmm. i want a northstar 4.6 to shoehorn in my 85 gt. wonder if id get a lemon or one that will last.
also wonder how im going to get the money for it while my dd keeps breaking down.

------------------

1985 gt notchie auto (pic)| 3800 SFI N/A coming soon
1986 se notchie standard 4spd | 5.3 vortec soon

ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
Daily. Winter. Showcar.

88 Fiero Formula
2.8L V6 Auto
Acquired 6/6/07 (first car)
Was: 79k miles
Now: 102,6XX miles

Major components rebuilt or replaced (in no order):
Master cylinder; aprox. 60% of the coolant lines; transmission; ignition mod.; distributor; alternator; ignition coil; plugs/wires; cap/rotor; exhaust tips/muffler/headpipe; EGR valve; EGR solenoid; battery (twice); IAC valve; pads/rotors; tires. There could be more but it's late. Bad IAC valve left me stranded once, but not far from home or a shop.

Current issues:
CV boot leaking; EGR gasket between spacer and crossover pipe is leaking exhaust.

Drives 11 miles to and from work almost daily. Driven to the Dells once, south side of Chicago twice, north of Milwaukee once. Covered occasionally, but otherwise almost always kept outside. Driven in the snow when left with no choice. Detailed extensively. Has won some awards at local shows and Fierorama. Eventually a Police Interceptor will replace it as a daily driver, but I will keep this Fiero until I die.

--------------

| Jon | Member: NIFE, MisShifts | Facebook | Fiero Pics |
| Photography | Great America Zone | Dixie Square Mall |

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 11-05-2010).]

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post

I don't use a fiero for a daily drive
its a toyota 4x4 diesel

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

I don't use a fiero for a daily drive
its a toyota 4x4 diesel

Toyota makes diesel's?
PFF
System Bot
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
my fiero is driven daily now. my current job has a 30mile commute 1 way. no break down so far(knocks on wood). it broke down once on my way home from my previous occupation. the starter decided to stop working when i stoped at store before home
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2010 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
daily driver....

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Toyota makes diesel's?

lol...
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

daily driver....

You SUCK!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

daily driver....

The bourgeois-mobile. Congratulations.. pig!
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:
..... Eventually a Police Interceptor will replace it as a daily driver....

Ha, I bought an 05 CVPI a couple years ago, to supplement my Fiero. The fuel usage will astonish you.
It burns more fuel than my fullsize GMC, which is bigger, older, less aerodynamic, and suffers from a pretty rudimentary TBI system.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

Daily. Winter. Showcar.

hey i even know what kind of tires those are! i think.
michellin pilots right?
ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
General Altimax HP
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
From December 01 to April 10 DD was 88 coupe. 2.5 5 speed. It now has 160,000 on it and gets driven on the weekends. It was a "parts car" when I bought it and over the years I have replaced a lot or added equipment that was missing. When it is in tune I get just under 39 highway.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock