Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Hmmm, 1.4 turbo, 6 speed trans (manual or auto), will they fit?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Hmmm, 1.4 turbo, 6 speed trans (manual or auto), will they fit? by Gokart Mozart
Started on: 09-24-2010 05:22 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Doug85GT on 09-27-2010 02:59 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://media.gm.com/content...725_cruze_powertrain

The Ecotec 1.4L turbo delivers 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance.

“Power-dense small-displacement engines with turbocharging and variable valve timing, such as the Ecotec 1.4L turbo, are integral in our advanced technology strategy,” said Mike Katerberg, assistant chief engineer, Powertrain.

The Ecotec 1.4L turbo features design solutions that give it world-class smoothness and durability, including:

* Low-mass hollow-frame cast iron block
* Dual overhead camshafts with variable valve timing
* Chain-driven cams
* Roller-finger camshaft followers
* Piston-cooling oil jets and integrated oil cooler
* Variable-flow oil pump
* Electronically controlled thermostat.

The 1.4L’s turbocharger is integrated within the exhaust manifold, for reduced weight and greater packaging flexibility. A reinforced crankshaft and stronger connecting rods are unique, delivering additional strength to support the engine’s pressurized power and torque over a wide rpm band.

The engine also incorporates numerous mass-reducing features, including a cast iron block with a hollow frame structure, hollow-cast camshafts and a plastic intake manifold.

Six-speed transmissions

A pair of six-speed transmissions – a six-speed manual and a six-speed automatic – match the Ecotec 1.4L turbo for optimal performance and fuel efficiency. The six-speed manual transmission delivers a wide spread of ratios with a “tall” top gear that optimizes fuel economy. The gearing in the Cruze Eco’s six-speed is specific, and helps the model achieve its estimated highway rating of up to 40 mpg. All of the Cruze’s six-speed manual transmissions include triple-cone synchronization in first and second gears for easier engagement, as well as a synchronized reverse gear.

The six-speed automatic’s torque converter design and transmission gearing bolster engine power and contribute to a stronger feeling of performance. It features an on-axis design that allows more compact packaging that enhances crash crumple zone performance, interior space and a lower, sleeker hood line. Rather than the transmission being “folded” around the end of the engine, the on-axis design puts the gear sets on the same axis as the engine crankshaft centerline.

Shifts within the automatic transmission are accomplished by applying and disengaging clutches simultaneously, which provides a more direct feel to the driver, compared to “freewheeling” gear change mechanisms. On the road, a wide selection of shift patterns is adapted to the styles and habits of the driver, anticipating when maximum acceleration or maximum efficiency is required. The electronic control also adapts to the prevailing road conditions, reducing gear shifting when climbing or descending and using engine braking assistance during down changes.

The six-speed automatic also features ActiveSelect manual control, which allows sequential driver gear selection via the shift lever. The transmission also has neutral gear disengagement at idle, which reduces vibration and improves fuel economy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
We are waiting for the first ones to arrive at our Dealership. I want to drive one and see how it feels. 1.4 seems small, but with a turbo it might suprise me. The Cruze has been on sale already in Europe and South America. All the overseas automotive press is pretty impressed with the car there, and sales have been great.

I would really like to see a 260 horse Cobalt SS Turbo engine dropped in a Fiero.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
It has numbers close to the 2.8l in our cars. So I am guessing that GM made this engine because it is really fuel efficient?
mrbeef

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbeefSend a Private Message to mrbeefDirect Link to This Post
its pretty much a De nutted LNF from a cobalt. why not just use a LNF has 260hp 260 TQ
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post
I am really interested in this swap. The Cruze is coming in a 3100 lbs. Put that power train in a lighter car with a lower aeordynamic profile and I would think that 40+MPG would be highly attainable. Even the 1.8 is looking like a nice swap (136 HP) I know my Duke wouldn't be able to keep up. The 1.8 and the 1.4 look like nice little packages and with the electric steering in these vehicles you don't have to reconfigure the power steering pump. I have already asked my neighbor , who goes to salvage auctions, to keep and eye out. My son has made up his mind that he is going the Cobalt SS route. I think that there will be plenty of room. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my wife that the garage and driveway is going to be taken for a while. Maybe she will let me finally build my garage in the backyard. Oh who am I kidding. Anybody close to me have a garage they want to rent out?

Rich
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:

I am really interested in this swap. The Cruze is coming in a 3100 lbs. Put that power train in a lighter car with a lower aeordynamic profile and I would think that 40+MPG would be highly attainable. Even the 1.8 is looking like a nice swap (136 HP) I know my Duke wouldn't be able to keep up. The 1.8 and the 1.4 look like nice little packages and with the electric steering in these vehicles you don't have to reconfigure the power steering pump. I have already asked my neighbor , who goes to salvage auctions, to keep and eye out. My son has made up his mind that he is going the Cobalt SS route. I think that there will be plenty of room. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my wife that the garage and driveway is going to be taken for a while. Maybe she will let me finally build my garage in the backyard. Oh who am I kidding. Anybody close to me have a garage they want to rent out?

Rich

Maybe if we join forces we can convince our wives that a second double garage (maybe with a lift) is a sensible idea.
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Maybe if we join forces we can convince our wives that a second double garage (maybe with a lift) is a sensible idea.

Who ever finds out the right combination of words and/or gifts first (hopefully words, more money left for the projects) let the other know. Of course there is the Hail Mary and I win the lottery.

Rich

Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

...The Ecotec 1.4L turbo features design solutions that give it world-class smoothness and durability, including:

* Low-mass hollow-frame cast iron block...

...the engine also incorporates numerous mass-reducing features, including a cast iron block with a hollow frame structure, hollow-cast camshafts and a plastic intake manifold.

I wonder why they downgraded this version of the Ecotec to a cast iron block? Or, are they using the Ecotec name on a different design?
CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobDirect Link to This Post
This engine is a completely different design then the current ecotec engines. The only thing that they have in common is the name ecotec. Not to say thats a bad thing. Hopefully people will accept the lower power, for the added fuel economy.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
The turbo mounts right to the exhaust manifold so there is virtually no lag. It is designed to have good low and mid range power because the turbo is small a spools up quickly. Great motor for quick response in everyday driving with either the six speed manual, or six speed auto.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

The turbo mounts right to the exhaust manifold so there is virtually no lag. It is designed to have good low and mid range power because the turbo is small a spools up quickly. Great motor for quick response in everyday driving with either the six speed manual, or six speed auto.

sigh..

The Cruze is coming in a 3100 lbs. Put that power train in a lighter car with a lower aeordynamic profile and I would think that 40+MPG would be highly attainable.

The fiero might be a 100-150lbs lighter if that...

You can get 40mpg from the other ecotec motors, 3800, 2.0lsj/lnf... and they have power output potential triple that for less money.
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Most stock turbos are bolted directly to the manifold. While it does reduce lag, that is no guarentee. Turbo and engine size have more to do with turbo lag than the placement of the turbo.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock