Low Profile Jack on sale at Harbor Freight by TG oreiF 8891
Started on: 06-17-2010 12:13 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Australian on 06-19-2010 11:16 AM
TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
I bought one of these several years ago on sale for $80 + $10 shipping and always wished I had bought a second one. I've seen them on the harbor freight website from time to time for $90 - $100 + shipping but never back at the sale price I paid. I just looked today and to my surprise they are on sale for $60 + shipping. IMHO this is an excellent deal.

The jack is of good quality, very heavy and well built. It goes all the way down to 2 7/8 inches for our lowered Fieros and all the way up to 20 inches (excellent 17 inch range). It is very sturdy and mine has worked flawlessly for the past three years. I'm ordering my second one now.

http://www.harborfreight.co...vice-jack-67022.html

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Custom Corvette / MR2 electro-hydraulic power steering
17" rims covering up 11.25" rotors with Cadillac Calipers & drop spindles
2010 Secretary
Cleveland Fieros
Cleveland Fiero Club

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up, I just happened to be in the market for a new floor jack, and you just saved me some coin.
Digitalman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DigitalmanSend a Private Message to DigitalmanDirect Link to This Post
I love Harbor Freight! I bought a sand blasting cabinet last month and I'm actually looking for stuff to clean up!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Not sure Im comfortable buying anything that could kill me from HF. They have a lot of good deals and good prices but quality isnt always their strongpoint.
TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Not sure Im comfortable buying anything that could kill me from HF. They have a lot of good deals and good prices but quality isnt always their strongpoint.

A hydraulic jack should NEVER be able to kill anyone. I don't care where it was made or who made it, you NEVER, EVER, EVER crawl under a car that isn't resting on solid jack stands.

P.S.: I buy my jack stands at Harbor Freight too!
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Imma buying one now.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of these a month ago for that price, I don't regret it yet. So far it has done its job well.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
dont buy them. They are the biggest POS i have ever owned.
TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
While I understand the concern for life and limb. I've used this jack first hand and for $60 it simply cannot be beat. It is a steal of a deal. It is very heavy, almost too much to lift by one person, well constructed, and solid. Obviously, a jack is only as good as its seals. Thus, you should never climb under any car held up by only a jack; always put jack stands underneath and rest the car on them prior to climbing under it.

I do not work for Harbor Freight, I receive no money for defending them here. In fact, I myself have bought plenty of junk from them over the years. However, I have found this jack to be a quality unit. Furthermore, many of us weekend warriors get along just fine with a plethora of Harbor Freight tools. They are so cheap that it is cheaper to buy three or even four from HF than it is to buy a good one to last a lifetime. There are certain tools I will only buy from a good brand and other things I use only sparingly so I'll look at the Harbor Freight units. As always, I would not recommend any item from HF for everyday commercial shop use. That's simply not what they are made (cheaply) for.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I had one of the aluminium racing jacks almost kill me. The jackstands caught it and I got away with a piece of metal in my leg. I was lifting a fiero and it just snapped.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Never needed a "low profile" jack. I just use a 4 x 4 piece of wood with an angle cut on the end. Drive the wheel on it and you can fit any jack under your Fiero.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I had one of the aluminium racing jacks almost kill me. The jackstands caught it and I got away with a piece of metal in my leg. I was lifting a fiero and it just snapped.

This is not the jack you used, this things is a nice heavy steel beast. Good call on the jackstands anyway.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

A hydraulic jack should NEVER be able to kill anyone. I don't care where it was made or who made it, you NEVER, EVER, EVER crawl under a car that isn't resting on solid jack stands.

P.S.: I buy my jack stands at Harbor Freight too!

Never dropped a socket and had it roll under the car after you pulled the jackstands, say like when the car is too low for stands, or you are just finishing up. You think about it, but dont bother and just reach under.

Or when lifting, I had a spare tire jack strip out and drop the car cold about 1/2 from my leg while lifting. probably not going to happen with a jack with a pole though.

The danger remains to cause severe damage to the car or injure \ kill someone regardless, I'm spending the extra $40 on a craftsman. Who knows these days it might be made in the same plant, but Id feel better about it. Most everything else from HF Im okay with
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:
I'm spending the extra $40 on a craftsman. Who knows these days it might be made in the same plant, but Id feel better about it. Most everything else from HF Im okay with

Craftsman sure isn't the savior it once was, I bought a heavy duty jack and the thing only worked 3 times before it crapped out and of course by the third time I was to far outfrom the purchase date to return it. I bought the aluminum racing jack from HF and it's workd like a charm. But again I don't get under a car not on jack stands (a minimum of 4 at any time). If I drop something when I'm jacking I get a pole or something to sweep it out. The only Craftsman stuff I will buy is their hand tools for the warranty, everything else is more than likely built by the same crappy companies building HF.

Just my $.02

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 06-18-2010).]

TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
I just saw a good deal and wanted to recommend a jack I've personally used to my friends on PFF.

Yes, I've reached under a car held up by a jack. NO! I have never put any part of my center mass or my head under a car held up by a hydraulic jack. Either way, it wasn't correct for me to do it and it isn't safe for anyone else either. I hope that everyone correctly uses jack stands no matter what brand jack is used; it is NOT SAFE! That's why I have 4 different sizes of jack stands.

I've never been a fan of those aluminum jacks. They are made light for carrying to the track which is great, but they usually have a low weight rating, and a very narrow stance. They are typically much more tipsy than even an ordinary jack. This jack I linked to is about as far from an aluminum racing jack as you can get. It weighs 75 pounds, is over 2 feet long and about a foot wide. It is a big, heavy jack. On the negative side, it has a relatively low weight rating but that's due to its two main positives: its low saddle height and excellent 17 inch range of motion.

Jacks from craftsman, autozone, wal-mart (GM branded) etc. are all made in China cheapo units too, so don't kid yourself. I originally wanted an expensive Norco unit that costs over $300 with shipping. If you are made of gold buy the norco or another quality unit for $300, if you are related to Rube Goldberg, cut up wood however you want, but if you want a good, cheap, low-profile jack that will handle everything a shade tree mechanic needs, I've done the research, for $60 you cannot beat this jack.

For the record, I've used the wood blocks before and it works great, this $60 jack is just simpler, faster, and its a bargain on sale. Who cannot use another hydraulic jack? Especially this behemoth? [Tim Allen Voice] Argh, Argh, Argh, Argh! [/Tim Allen Voice]
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
there is a hardbor F not even 10 miles from where i live. trust me many people would dream of having such a store near them but i hate it!!!! every time i go in there i come out with an empty bank account lol.

anyhow for the jacks go with the blue aluminum one

http://www.harborfreight.co...cing-jack-92782.html

ive had this jack for about 3 years now and its been through hell. ive left it out by my car port for one year in the rain and it still works like new and looks like new. its light and can lift anything. ive worked with a ton of tools and i must say this is a top notch jack! something like this should cost 500$ but it dont.
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
I have had one of their aluminum jacks for about 4 years now without any major problems. However, like any tool, a jack should be inspected for potential problems every now and then. I had to replace a broken C clip on mine that could have caused problems later.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

there is a hardbor F not even 10 miles from where i live. trust me many people would dream of having such a store near them but i hate it!!!! every time i go in there i come out with an empty bank account lol.

I do! I do!
We don't have any in the area & when ordering online, its at least a week until its delivered. Always have to plan ahead.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You can go to the web site and the jack is also on the flyer for that price. Save the shipping cost.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
I've had this same jack for a few months now, works great and rolls nice as well. only thing is I wish the tabs on the cup were a bit higher to grip better.

------------------

mickeyswing52

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mickeyswing52Send a Private Message to mickeyswing52Direct Link to This Post
I have had their Blue aluminum 4000 lb jack for 3 yrs and it works great, very stable , quick pump lift which works great when you first start to raise a vehicle. I think it`s only 7 full pumps to full up position.
PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
back about 10 years ago we had one in my school shop program use it for the 4 years i was there no problum also
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Never needed a "low profile" jack. I just use a 4 x 4 piece of wood with an angle cut on the end. Drive the wheel on it and you can fit any jack under your Fiero.

Yeah. Only useful if the car runs. Try pushing the car onto them...
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

I'm ordering my second one now.

FYI -- You local Harbor Fright store will match the on-line prices, even the "sale" prices, if you print the Web page and take it to the store with you. But you gotta' ask. Even paying sales tax has to be less than paying for shipping on something as heavy as a jack.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-18-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
WOW Such a Love Hate for HF. I'd say about 1/4 of my tools are Harbor Freight stuff. Only 1/4 as they don't have a Harbor Freight in my country. I take 1 or 2 trips down per year to Oregon to visit my Dad and I always bring along my utility trailer as I know I am going to be bringing stuff back.

I have their big steel orange jack and I have their small 3000 (1.5 ton) Aluminum Racking Jack that is really low profile. The orange steel one I have been using for over 10 years. It has started to leak down. Takes about 60mins to go from full height to dropped under the load of a complete rear end of a Fiero. I only use the big one for lifting the rear high enough to drop the cradle. It has been an amazing jack and used hundreds of times. Not only by myself dropping cradles 3-4 times a year but at club tech sessions, constant use by members coming here to work on there cars.

Ya a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight is cheap off shore stuff, but for the money its a great deal. The only stuff I won't buy there are the air tools. For air tools I buy all Craftsman Professional grade stuff. 1/2 drive impact gun that puts out 600lbs in reverse that actually makes that number. Works better than the 800lbs reverse gun from HF.

Hell even the trailer I tow is a Harbor Freight Trailer. I love there electrical parts selection too.

Oh and for the record my Father is a professional Maintenance Mechanic at the factory that makes Sears Diehard, Interstate and several other car batteries. 1/2 of his tools are HF Tools. So in a long way around, HF tools helped to make the battery that is starting your car.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

But if the car wont start...

I have a real small ( steel ) one from autozone that i can get under the frame. It wont go real high, but it gets under it, even if a tire is low.

What id love to have are ramps that would work up front.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2010 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

WOW Such a Love Hate for HF. I'd say about 1/4 of my tools are Harbor Freight stuff. Only 1/4 as they don't have a Harbor Freight in my country. I take 1 or 2 trips down per year to Oregon to visit my Dad and I always bring along my utility trailer as I know I am going to be bringing stuff back.

*snip*

They have good and bad, like most companies. Problem is their bad is REAL bad.. But if you are careful, it works out ok. I have some of their stuff too, and have learned what to steer clear of and choose better brands instead. ( we also have a WT about 2 blocks from HF, they sell the same Chinese imports and actual name brands.. )
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I will agree it is hard to get a trolley jack low enough to use for the fiero at a reasonable price.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock