Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Haynes or Chilton Service Repair Manual which one to Buy?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Haynes or Chilton Service Repair Manual which one to Buy? by Bill DeTucci
Started on: 06-16-2010 12:00 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Darth88Formula on 06-20-2010 02:34 AM
Bill DeTucci

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill DeTucciClick Here to visit Bill DeTucci's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill DeTucciDirect Link to This Post
What is the best over-all Service (Repair) Manual for the Fiero? I need to buy one. Is it the Chilton or Haynes?

Billy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I have both, and can't really pick a clear winner. Best choice would be the factory service manual for your year's car.

I think the pictures in the Chilton's are better and more numerous, but one of them (I don't remember which) misses a lot of stuff that is specific to the 88s.
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bill DeTucci:

What is the best over-all Service (Repair) Manual for the Fiero?

The GM/Helm Factory Service Manual. You can buy one new for about $100, used for less, and unauthorized (scanned) versions are available for free download from the Internet. Both Haynes and Chillton are good to have as supplements, but the GM/Helm FSM is by far the best reference.
Iron_Mark_2003

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
Factory Service Manual. You'll know how to completely take your car apart and put it back together. There are some pretty nice used ones on Ebay from time to time for a decent price. If I had to pick between a Chilton's or Haynes, I'd probably say Chilton's. I've always felt they were a bit more in depth.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Factory service manual.
I got mine for my 88 on ebay for $30ish.
Haynes sucks,period.
Especially if you want to do any wiring,no connector pinout pages or connector pin numbers.
Chilton is a bit better from what I have used of them,and at least used to be twice the manual of a haynes.

If you ever want to mess with anything emission's related,definately don't buy the haynes.
non-factory manuals use that magic phrase "consult a licensed technician" too much.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php has the factory service manuals for the 86 and 88 in .pdf format. Also have tranny service manuals, generally a great source of info. Granted, it's not the easiest thing to use when you are working on your car, but if you have a laptop you can bring outside with you, it works fairly well.

Oh, and I have a Haynes manual, I haven't had any experience with a Chilton's manual so I can't offer an advice one way or the other. But the factory service manual is definitely the best option.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Factory service manual is the way to go... Keep an eye out on ebay; they range in price (used) from $30-$80... I picked up my 88 manual ofr $40 shipped... I also have the Haynes, it is ok for the more common repairs, but no where near as in depth as the FSM. Expecially when it comes to trouble-shooting a problem...
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

Factory service manual.
I got mine for my 88 on ebay for $30ish.
Haynes sucks,period.
Especially if you want to do any wiring,no connector pinout pages or connector pin numbers.
Chilton is a bit better from what I have used of them,and at least used to be twice the manual of a haynes.

If you ever want to mess with anything emission's related,definately don't buy the haynes.
non-factory manuals use that magic phrase "consult a licensed technician" too much.

Ditto......why bother when you can get a real factory service manual on Evilbay for $25 to $40?
It would be money better spent.....
Kit
Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
I prefer in following order:

GM/Helm Factory Service Manual
Chilton's
Haynes

All of them are available online as PDF's.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, I find no real difference between Chiltons & Haynes.
I like Chiltons & Haynes over the Service manual for better wording & friendly text - but - just know that everything in them is just copied from the service manual. If I need to know a specific thing - the service manual is the way to go. for a nice written up "how to" - Haynes/Chiltons.
the service manual has a pretty high level of expectation of your skills & available tools as well.
havnt actually bought either haynes or chiltons in a long time - but back then - Haynes had actual pictures. not just diagrams.

these days, I just use Autozone.com & other internet sources.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Haynes and Chilton are good only in certain areas in each one. Factory manual is far better. I just gave mine away a few weeks ago to a friend who just got his son a Fiero. I tried to give it away here for months for a few dollars shipping.
PFF
System Bot
patrick87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patrick87Click Here to visit patrick87's HomePageSend a Private Message to patrick87Direct Link to This Post
i would choose chilton out of the two. but i got the actual shop manuals for mine
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Factory Service Manual > Chiltons > Haynes

BTW... rip out the firing order sheet (diagram) on the Haynes for the 2.8L. It is flat wrong.
(at least my edition)
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Of course, pick the factory service manual. It has a million times more in depth info!

But, to answer your question,
I prefer the Haynes manual.
The first couple years that I owned a Fiero, I wore that thing out! Read it cover to cover a few times! I also have the thick Chiltons manual, and find it basically useless. (actually, its not useless, it has torque specs - they're handy, but also in the haynes)
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth88Formula:

http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php has the factory service manuals for the 86 and 88 in .pdf format. Also have tranny service manuals, generally a great source of info. Granted, it's not the easiest thing to use when you are working on your car, but if you have a laptop you can bring outside with you, it works fairly well.

Oh, and I have a Haynes manual, I haven't had any experience with a Chilton's manual so I can't offer an advice one way or the other. But the factory service manual is definitely the best option.

Ummm....hey, guys....it's FREE right here! Forget the Haynes or Chiltons........these factory manuals are FREE. Did anyone mention that they are FREE?

Stop arguing about where to spend your money. Spend no money. Download these manuals. They are FREE. They have pictures. If these pictures aren't good enough, you shouldn't be touching your car with anything other than the ignition key and your butt.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
lol Mark. take a pill buddy,
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Sorry.....long day yesterday.
Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeDirect Link to This Post
Chiltons is and always has been a joke. Haynes is way better than Chiltons. I can't even begin to count the wrong information we have found in chiltons manuals over my 12yrs as a tech. Factory service manuals are the best. With haynes in a far off second. just my opinion.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Factory Service Manual > Chiltons > Haynes

BTW... rip out the firing order sheet (diagram) on the Haynes for the 2.8L. It is flat wrong.
(at least my edition)

How did they mess up 1-2-3-4-5-6 ?

The FSM is indispensable for electrical work. You have to have it.

But for simple jobs the Haynes or Chilton's sometimes will help you out by suggesting how to do a job with a regular tool instead of some special factory tool that you don't have.

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
lol idr whether it wa haynes or chiltons but they had me remove my entire centre consol to get at the ecu...once i did that i realised i could just remove two screws and go in through the cig lighter area.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

lol idr whether it wa haynes or chiltons but they had me remove my entire centre consol to get at the ecu...once i did that i realised i could just remove two screws and go in through the cig lighter area.

Not sure how you can get to the ECU without pulling the entire rear part of center console off.
You sure ain't pulling it out through the cigarette lighter area just pulling those two torx screws.
Unless your doesn't have the two torx tabs at the front under the shifter console cause they are broke off,even then there are two screws in the glovebox to remove also...
You must be talking about the ALDL and not the actual ECU (which is behind the glovebox under the center console.)

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 06-19-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Ummm....hey, guys....it's FREE right here! Forget the Haynes or Chiltons........these factory manuals are FREE. Did anyone mention that they are FREE?

Stop arguing about where to spend your money. Spend no money. Download these manuals. They are FREE. They have pictures. If these pictures aren't good enough, you shouldn't be touching your car with anything other than the ignition key and your butt.

I have to laugh at this - I was thinking something along the same lines, but not as blunt I guess.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock