Supercharged 2.8 / 3400? by Y_B_A_FOOL
Started on: 06-15-2010 10:33 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Y_B_A_FOOL on 06-16-2010 05:58 PM
Y_B_A_FOOL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone take'n the blower off like an Previa, Mr2, Carrado type blower and put it on a 2.8L or 3400?
one like this? http://img65.imageshack.us/f/image024vh9.jpg/
Some mounts sounds easier than installing a turbo...

-Just thought it would be interesting to know.

[This message has been edited by Y_B_A_FOOL (edited 06-15-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much nothing is easier than a turbo setup.

At the end of the day, I would always rather do a turbo install over nitrous, in terms of gain per dollar.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Not from another vehicle, but fierosound used a similar style centrifugal supercharger on a 3.4

http://www.fierosound.com/s...ger/supercharger.htm
Y_B_A_FOOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post
I really like that set up... But I live in Florida and really love my a/c =P
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion but any type of performance boost - especially a turbo or supercharger on a 2.8 is a waste of time and money! Don't get me wrong - I love the 2.8 - it's a great motor for the daily driver and if cared for, will last a long time. They are just not built for boosting! I suppose you could throw a bunch of money at the 2.8 and hope for the best but for the same amount, you could build a solid 3.4 that seems to hold up well to the turbo setup. Fierosound is the only supercharged one I have seen.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Y_B_A_FOOL:

Has anyone take'n the blower off like an Previa, Mr2, Carrado type blower and put it on a 2.8L or 3400?
one like this? http://img65.imageshack.us/f/image024vh9.jpg/
Some mounts sounds easier than installing a turbo...

-Just thought it would be interesting to know.

Y'know, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm still trying to think of where I could fit one without losing the air conditioning. I could live without AC, but it's nice to have.

The supercharger you'd want is the Toyota SC14. The SC12 (MR2/Levin 4A-GZE unit) is a bit too small, but the SC14 (Previa etc) unit is a reasonable amount bigger. I've seen them used on previously NA 3800s quite successfully in the past.

The other interesting bonus with the SC12/SC14s is they are fitted with an electronic clutch - you can kill the boost on demand. Cool, eh?

I'll look into this one day...

------------------

FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Just my opinion but any type of performance boost - especially a turbo or supercharger on a 2.8 is a waste of time and money! Don't get me wrong - I love the 2.8 - it's a great motor for the daily driver and if cared for, will last a long time. They are just not built for boosting! I suppose you could throw a bunch of money at the 2.8 and hope for the best but for the same amount, you could build a solid 3.4 that seems to hold up well to the turbo setup. Fierosound is the only supercharged one I have seen.

hmmm.
it looks to me that the 2.8 can be bosted. Over 20 psi
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103956.html

[This message has been edited by FieroGeneral (edited 06-16-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

agreed by everyone that ever did an engine swap and anyone with rationality.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
I would agree to an extent Australian, although theoretically an engine swap can bring a completely different upgrade path and be more economical to improve upon, in some cases it's simply not required. For example, I used to have a 3.8 in my old Fiero. It was great - more than ample power. In fact that was the problem - there was almost too much power for the roads I was driving. So for now, I'll be sticking with the 2.8. It's anaemic by comparison, which is why I'd want that 'little extra' from a low boost turbo or supercharger setup. Which I pick, I'm not sure yet.

Where 3.4s are available or 3.8s are readily available with appropriate hardware for the job, it'd be a no brainer.

------------------

Y_B_A_FOOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm not really looking to 20psi. I was thinking that my motor needs a rebuild (I've been driving it for 6 months with clanking rods D: ) that I should just build it up nice and slowly add things like boost. Knowing that I can supercharge it (cheaply) would be cool! I love the wine of a charger . I'm looking for 250HP like 6~9psi would be nice. *after I've rebuilt the motor.

[This message has been edited by Y_B_A_FOOL (edited 06-16-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock