Lookin at a 86 gt by BlairMan
Started on: 06-11-2010 12:23 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: BlairMan on 06-11-2010 09:42 PM
BlairMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlairManSend a Private Message to BlairManDirect Link to This Post
In looking for a nice fuel efficient car for my new LONGER commute to work, i have been considering a Fiero, In particular:

1986 Pontiac Fiero Fastback (GT)
86,325 Miles
V6 engine
Manual transmission
The A/C is not working, the compressor comes on when you move the controls to the A/C position but no cold air.

I have to go and look at the car, i was wondering from the experts, what should i look for as potential trouble areas? (I have been reading, so i know to pull back the carpet in the trunk to look for rust, and of course i will check the underbody for rust as well, leaks, smoke, etc)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlairMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlairManSend a Private Message to BlairManDirect Link to This Post
Any help here guys? Going to look at it at 6pm tonight.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Check to see if it has a 4 or 5-speed transmission. You'll get better mileage on your commute with the 5-speed.
BlairMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlairManSend a Private Message to BlairManDirect Link to This Post
It's a 4-speed, can see that in the photos i have already seen.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post
Since you are in the snow (read as salt) belt, check the frame rails especially in the rear and the coolant tubes under the rocker panels. The coolant tubes tend to corode thru at the holding clamps that are in the area right under the seats.
BlairMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlairManSend a Private Message to BlairManDirect Link to This Post
Decent shape, No external rust, underbody had a little, the brackets holding the tubes were in pretty bad shape. It also pops out of 2nd gear, AC doesn't work, and oil pressure gauge is broken.

He has put on new motor mounts, and redid the rear suspension, Wish it had PW/PL though.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock