Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  5 speed rebuild questions/suggestions (michigan area) looking for other feed back too

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

5 speed rebuild questions/suggestions (michigan area) looking for other feed back too by LoW_KeY
Started on: 06-11-2010 09:30 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: LoW_KeY on 06-12-2010 09:22 AM
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Ok looking for suggestions.. I don't care to hear go "auto"

I talked to Jim's Performance Transmission in Eaton Rapids, MI. I talked about going with a LSD he said he wouldn't suggest it as it's rougher on the trans etc. He didn't really explain what all he did either. I got quoted @ 1700'ish.

I got my extra trans in hand, took a trip down to Memphis to pick it up, not bad at a cost of free looking to get it done and done right. I know another member here does it for $3000'ish.

------------------
3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
98 GTP - N* TB, 3.4 MPS, 1.95 rockers, SS Headers, Exhaust, GXP Susp.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The weak link in a powerful drivetrain in a Fiero is the manual transmission if sourced from a Fiero or other 80's GM.

The failure point is usually the case.

A LSD would increase stress on the case.

Perhaps a welded-up steel cage around the tranny to reinforce the case would help spread out the stress.

Jim's is about the best you will find, I think he is used by one of the custom fabricators here on the Forum.

LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
I see.. guess I might hit up mera7.. got a pm from him awhile back.

"we have the entire assembly 300 below cryo'd including the transmission housing/case. once we get it back from cryo we reinstall all of the parts and hardware. bench test the unit and ship it off to you. takes about 1-2 months total time depending on cryo place backlog time. test unit has successfully taken over 500rwhp under constant abuse"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock