Anyone ever consider a 3.5L swap? by boysatt
Started on: 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 06-11-2010 01:34 AM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue parts car that I picked up to fix another totaled one. Was staring at the engine the other night and thinking that would bolt in the fiero just like the 3.8 or any of the other gm v6's. Its a LX5 or (shortstar) V6, same engine family as the Northstar, but in my opinion a much better built and designed motor. Pushing 215Hp and 230 lbs torque, that would be a huge improvement over the stock 2.8. I drove a intrigue for a year and found it has a lot of torque and defiantly gets up and goes at full accel. In a heads up run it stayed beside my buddys Regal GS supercharged. From as much as I know about those cars, wiring wouldn't be any different than doing a 3.8 and mounting wouldn't be too difficult, shares a motor mount that the 3100 and 3400 series use. And if people are doing a northstar swap this motor should fit no problem.

I am looking to do something different than other people, I have been planning on doing the L67 swap but everyone has done that, so why not something else. Opinions? comments?

------------------

Blue 1987 GT, Yellow T-top 1986 GT, 2000 Corvette Coupe Z06 conversion
projects and parts for sale.[/COLOR][/b]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HausFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I think it's in the family with the 3x00's. Look up that car on wiki or aumn and see if the engine is in the GM 60* V6 family
fierofury

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryDirect Link to This Post
Its been done before, Rickady88GT had one in his car for a while.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

Yeah I think it's in the family with the 3x00's. Look up that car on wiki or aumn and see if the engine is in the GM 60* V6 family

Nope, it has absolutely no relationship to the 60* family...

It's is a V6 that was created in much the same way that the 4.3 was created... lop two cylinders off of a Northstar V8 and you get a 90* 3.5L DOHC V6. That is the reason for the nickname 'Shortstar'

My 3.5 S* is now smog legal in CA. OBDII can be done
IT RUNS....... I Started the 3.5 today!!!!!!!!

Boysatt,
I totally hear where you are coming from about not wanting a 'me too' swap. There have only been a couple of these swaps completed, so you should be sitting good there...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 06-10-2010).]

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Great engine. The biggest problem with it is the lack of aftermarket parts. Mostly the lack of ECM programming.
I took it out and now it is just sitting in the back yard collecting dust.
This is the LX5 on it's way out.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101202.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock