Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  CHARITY POKER RUN FOR THE BENEFIT OF ROBSFIEROS (Robert Finley)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

CHARITY POKER RUN FOR THE BENEFIT OF ROBSFIEROS (Robert Finley) by fierofool
Started on: 06-09-2010 06:42 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: fierofool on 07-16-2010 07:24 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The Georgia Fiero Club is conducting a Two Seats Only Charity Poker Run on July 17. Road Atlanta and the Atlanta Region SCCA has been very instrumental in making this event happen. They have provided us with special rates considerations and exceptional hospitality.

This charity poker run is for the benefit of Robbie Finley. Many of you in the Fiero community know him as RobsFieros and his garage and its work in engine transplants, and repair and maintenance on our unique little cars.

You may also know about the serious injuries he suffered and the long term care he will need. The associated medical costs will be staggering and the other driver's insurance seems to have maxed on its payout. We can't raise enough money to pay the hospital bill, but we can cover the costs of the rehab facility, the lease and utilities on his garage, and assist with his and his wife's increased personal expenses.

In the process of helping Robbie, for additional fees payable to Road Atlanta, you will be afforded the opportunity to watch the SCCA races for one or two days and drive paced laps on the Road Atlanta track. Your event entry includes your lunch at The Paddock Grill and a pass giving you a reduced entry price into the track.

Come out and join us for a fun weekend and for a very worthy cause. The Georgia Fiero home page at www.gafiero.org has links for the event.

The starting point is at the Gwinnett County Airport, Briscoe Field off Ga. Highway 316. The address is 850 Airport Rd, Lawrenceville, GA 30046

Google Map or Mapquest Briscoe Field, Lawrenceville, Ga. or the above address for location.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
if I am in town you can count me in
D.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Another bump.

Anyone even considering joining us?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
?
88 Database Guy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a good cause.
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
Wish I could, but just too far away. Bump for an excellent cause, and prayers for a speedy recovery.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Not only is this a good cause, but it's a golden opportunity to drive the Road Atlanta track for just $20. For 1 person the total cost for the whole weekend, to include your meal on Saturday and driving the Road Atlanta course and watching the races for 2 days is just $65. Add $40 for the second person if you come in the same vehicle.

I've contacted Porsche, BMW Z, Nissan Z, Lotus, Jaguar, Mercedes, Thunderbird, Corvette, MR2, Ferrari, Triumph and many other clubs dedicated to a particular 2 seat automobile, plus many of the Cruiser and car clubs in North Georgia and the surrounding states. I've set up a beautiful drive through the countryside of North Georgia that promises to be an enjoyable experience.

Normally, cars allowed onto the Road Atlanta track must go through inspections and be outfitted with various specified equipment. This will not be required for this event.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Can't make it to the event, but is there a paypal account I can send a donation to?

Archie
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely! Send Paypal donations to etfc159 (at) yahoo.com. This will go directly to the friends and relatives caring for Robbie.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Got it.

& a bump

Archie

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Absolutely! Send Paypal donations to etfc159 (at) yahoo.com. This will go directly to the friends and relatives caring for Robbie.

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-15-2010).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I gotta go to this, if I can get off work the day before. Expect to see a For Sale sign on my 84SE.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
May I recommend Country Inns and Suites in Braselton, Ga. for anyone who will be traveling. http://www.countryinns.com/braseltonga

This hotel is new, near Road Atlanta and about 15 miles from the starting point of the poker run. It's located on Hwy 124 which will take you to within 1 traffic light of the starting point at the Gwinnett County, Ga. airport on Ga. Highway 316.

I've heard privately from some people from other local car clubs stating they are attending. Pre-registration is a little slow, but I expect as we get closer, people will know more about their schedule and we will see a flurry of last-minute registrations. I have to let the catering company know how much food to get for our group, so that's the reason for wanting folks to get their registration in early.

I'm shooting for around 200 vehicles. We have a car corral set aside for us so we will have our own area within the Road Atlanta grounds, right in the middle of turns 6 and 7. You might think that a paced lap of 65 MPH is slow, but there are corners on this track that race cars can't take at 65 MPH.

My SCCA contact who has been so instrumental in setting this up with Road Atlanta will be racing his 86 SE during the weekend and will have it on display in our corral area.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
If I go to the time & expense to make this, I expect to see a bunch of Fieros there! Come on, y'all... who's going? Roll call...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Weekend Bump
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Come on and join us. You can have a fun day or weekend and help Robbie at the same time.
patrick87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for patrick87Click Here to visit patrick87's HomePageSend a Private Message to patrick87Direct Link to This Post
let me check my schedule and ill let you know guys. sounds great though
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
You can't beat this pricing for a day or weekend of SCCA racing. As a bonus, you will probably see plenty of exotic and vintage cars in our group. An even better bonus is you get to do it while helping one of our fellow members. Robbie has done much for Fiero peoples around the southeast, especially for the Georgia and East Tennessee members, and he did so much at a greatly reduced cost or for free, just because he enjoyed the people and the car.

I'm sure that when he's able to get back to the garage, he will continue this practice. The rehab facility was gracious enough to take him, all the while knowing his insurance situation. Let's return a little of that generocity. Even if you can't come, make a donation of $25 by going to the Georgia Fiero website, open the paypal link and register.

Edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-24-2010).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2010 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Apparently donations to help Robbie are dwindling. This is a good opportunity to help out while having an enjoyable time. Anyone within a 3 or 4 hour drive of Atlanta or Athens, Ga. could easily make this event. So many of us will drive that far and even more to make a car show just to sit out on a blistering parking lot and hob-nob with fellow gearheads. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to help someone who really needs it, and as a bonus, you can socialize all you want.

Go to www.gafiero.org and register, then come on out on July 17 and feel good about what you've done.
PFF
System Bot
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
me and the wifey will be attend, unforeseen things pending. gotta replace my HVAC blower motor before then as well.

I printed out some fliers. Unfortunately, when I saw a Viper GTS today, I didn't have any on me and couldn't locate the owner. also,twice I've seen a red fiero at a mom and pop repair shop, again no fliers, and when pass back by to drop a business card... it's gone!

[This message has been edited by CogFieroGT (edited 06-26-2010).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If you need some fliers, I can get them to you. Maybe you could also hit a couple of the car shows in Oakwood and Gainesville. I hit 4 car shows and 3 shopping centers today. Lots of 2 seaters.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Back to the top
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2010 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Weekend push. We've got North Carolina and Florida coming, Tennessee, too. Who else?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Just a few more days to pre-register. I've got to make arrangements for the food by the 10th. Hurry and get registered.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I can't get off work.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Sorry you can't make it, but in this day and time, I'm glad you've got a job that requires overtime. Hope to see you at RFTH 15.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'll be there!
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Bump.....

The convertible WILL be ready in time:
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
So will the Lotus...

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Bump! If you're coming and haven't pre-registered, you can do it at the event.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Bump! If you're coming and haven't pre-registered, you can do it at the event.

Cash, Check, or Money Orders accepted. The weather forecast is for a good morning with a 30-40 percent chance of afternoon showers. We will be finished by 2 PM, but the races go on until 5 or so.

Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post
bump!
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post
Ok everyone....
The rain isn't scaring me away and I have a convertible...
and it's not the kind you just raise the top on... it comes completely off and stows in the trunk.
Did I mention it is a 5+hr drive for us?

Soooooo......
If I can make this run, anyone can.

So let's all show up before the rain starts.
And if you can't make it but you have already paid, sure you could get a partial refund, but really, considering what this is all about, would you really want one?

See everyone in the morning!

Fierfly

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
They're still holding at scattered afternoon showers. Last I heard, they didn't expect anything until late afternoon, though it's expected to be partly cloudy most of the day.

The reception area is set up and anchored down, just in case we get a thunderstorm, tonight. We're atop spectator hill where you can see the most part of the race track than anywhere else. There's lots of action in this area. This morning, they've already had several hit the wall during practice, and while we were setting up the tent this afternoon, one lost it and went into the gravel pit at the end of the back straight, approaching overpass hill.

Bring some ear plugs or hearing protection. I expect it will get very loud at the track.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock