Started on: 06-09-2010 10:40 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: LZeppelin513 on 06-17-2010 12:20 AM
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
Didn't find anything on search, but anyways I'm starting to think the turbo ecotec swap from the Solstice/etc is pretty cool. My worry is after listening to some stock sound clips of the Solstice GXP on youtube it still sounds very "ricey" to me. I know there is no way to exactly replicate the rumble of a V8, but is there any exhaust that would make it sound less weedwacker/ricey sound?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Finale (edited 06-09-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
Buuump, anyone?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
There are two issues. The first is the pulse of the 4 banger. It is very different from a v6 or v8.

The second is the size of the pipe.

If you get a Moroso spiral muffler, it has 8 - half moon baffles and it results in 8 type pulses. It is louder than you likely want so you'll want either the CAT or a resonator with it.

If you go to a 2.5" pipe system, with a 2.5" muffler you lower the pitch of the exhaust. If you do those two things, the engine will not sound ricey. The reason the ricey ones sound the way they do is that they typically run a 1.5" pipe into a fart can and think it will replicate a larger displacement. Wrong.

You want a fatter pipe, the same as they use a fatter pipe in a pipe organ to cause a deep rumbly sound.

I hope this helps.

Arn

I forgot about your turbo. It muffles the sound as well, so the Moroso by itself with the 2.5" pipe might do the trick

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 06-14-2010).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
When you put a short fiero exhaust on it, it will sound like a weedwhacker.
Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Arns85GT for the explanation. I'd like to still hear a sound clip or two at all rpms, as I said this seems like a sweet swap, but I really dislike that weedwacker or raspy high pitch sound.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'd go on a Solstice forum for that. However, remember that it will have a CAT and the sound you are looking for will be a little different.

Arn
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
GM does a lot of work on tuning their exhust systems on some of their cars for that performance sound. THe GTO, Camaro, CTS v and ZR1/Z06 are all tuned for that special sound and to try to get around the goverment noise regs.

Also the engine it self plays a improtant part. The 3800 has a odd sound vs the 2.8 as the 60 degree engines have a crank timing that makes it sound so much better. The 90 degree engines just have a less solid sound.

I own a Eco Turbo and it for the most is pretty quiet. THere are some who have upgraded the exhaust and they sound ol with them. The Turbo does a good job of keeping the fart can sound out. But even then the engine is still a 4 and you just don't get the same harmoics.

I think you will find the 60 degree GM engine is one of the best sounding v6 engines around and it is hard to get any of the 90 degree or 4 cylinders to really match it.
FieroFiend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
My last turbo ecotec with nothing for a foot an a half downpipe wasnt all that bad sounding, sounded like an srt4 more or less, its pretty hard to make anything turbo sound awful thats why they clean up the 3800 sound so well.
Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I'd go on a Solstice forum for that. However, remember that it will have a CAT and the sound you are looking for will be a little different.

Arn

Hmmm idk if I like the sound (I know its a little different with the CAT) after listening to various stock and modified turbo Solstices unless I actually hear it on a Fiero it somehow it is different I just don't know about this being a swap possibility.
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
...I think you will find the 60 degree GM engine is one of the best sounding v6 engines around...

I agree, too bad there's no horsepower or torque to back up that sound.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

I agree, too bad there's no horsepower or torque to back up that sound.

3.5 liters NA

http://www.3500z.com/3500/08-Dyno.gif

Edit to add: plus its a small and light push rod engine FTW

[This message has been edited by LZeppelin513 (edited 06-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave