1989 Fiero sway bar end links by superwhite
Started on: 06-09-2010 02:37 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 06-10-2010 11:32 AM
superwhite

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for superwhiteSend a Private Message to superwhiteDirect Link to This Post
12 or so years ago I was at the fiero nationals in Columbus Ohio and I traded some parts to a guy for what he said were 1989 Fiero front sway bar end links. I have some articles and pictures of these links that were published in the national fiero magazine from Fiero Phil. Does anybody have any idea if these links are legitimate?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I highly doubt this man parted out a concept car
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
As far as I know, the 89/90 was going to use the new for 88 suspension. I suppose they could have had a few tweaks in the works to things like end links, considering 88 was the suspension's first year. That said, I would suspect most of it would have carried over (although I certainly could be wrong, I am not looking at any resource for info at the moment).

------------------
2009 Volvo C30 T5
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula T-top
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula Hardtop

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
these are ligit. There was a guy that worked at a factory and had the order for the new links they made the links before pontiac killed the project. So they sat in a box in the warehouse and i believe the guys name was ray paulk who was selling these at the time i heard about them in 96 saw them floating around the community till around 2002 when i never saw another set. They were selling them for 75.00 a pair last i heard. but after looking at rodneys zero lash kits they are pretty much the same setup. Thanks rodney!
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
There are a hand full of parts from the 90 Fiero floating around that came out of GM or the vendors.

I have several of the 1990 emblems as do a few others here.

They were around for a while and no one knew what they were and bought them cheap on E bay.

Keep you eyes open as you never know what might pop up when someone cleans our a warehouse.

Beware there are some who have parts that are claimed to be real and are not. They think they are but have no proof they are real. Buyer beware.
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
As Matt said, they are legit if they look like the pictures below. Some of the sets that became available actually came from the engineering department of the Fiero Plant. About 10 sets were "borrowed" by a contractor working in the building and given to a Michigan Fiero Club member. My set came out of this batch. The second set I aquired were bought from a forum member a few years ago. I did not know about the sets that Ray Paulk had. I may give him a ring and see what he has to say about them.

The links are one piece made out of a magnesium alloy. The bushings are of the old poly urethane material, which was the same as the 88 production end link bushings. One of the unique features of the bushing are that they snap over a collar on the center piece and snap over the washers on the nut.

Here is a picture of the set installed on the 90 prototype. In discussion with some of my engineer freinds in Detroit, it is belived that this one piece design was explored by engineering to improve the responsive performance of the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering. I have not found or confirmed any more details about these. The picture show how dirty the prototypes at GM are.

Fred

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
or it might have been a guy named paul stevens. Wich i think he passed a couple of years ago. I could be wrong!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock