Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Renewed faith in the younger generation!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Renewed faith in the younger generation! by katatak
Started on: 06-09-2010 02:27 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: katatak on 06-10-2010 01:38 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
As some of you know, I just finished a 4.9 swap on an 88 XTC. This is my 16 year old sons car - had a Duke, blew it up - got a 4.9. He worked is butt off and saved and saved becuase he wanted to pay for the swap himself. Well you can imagine that at 16 years old and deeply involved in High School Football, his only available time for work is weekends. So he works 10 hour shifts at Applebees as a bus boy and just recently got the big promotion to dishwasher - now that school is out for the summer, he is picking up about 40 hours a week - it's all for the love of his Fiero! Got to admire that.

Anyway, during the process of the swap, he was right in there helping as much as he could, learning all he could about the car and the new motor, etc. I tried to impress upon hm that cars like this - swapped, hot rodded, one off's, etc. are not the kind of car you can just jump in and drive with no cares or worries. I really worked hard to get him to understand that he needed to "listen" to the car - to be so familiar with all the little rattles, squeaks, clunks, etc. Get to know the character of the car cause they all have a character.

So now the swap is done. We have had a few "issues" with some little things as most swaps go. But I was really worried that he would just drive the car into the ground. Never check the oil, let the "little" things that always go wrong pile up, etc. etc. I was real guarded about letting him drive the car further than school and back. In fact now that I look back - heck it's only been about 3 weeks - I think I may have been a little too worried. I was really more worried about the car becuase by the time the swap was done, I was done! I did not want to have to work on the car anymore and was worried that something would break or fall off or whatever becuase I did not think my son would "notice" when something went wrong. For the last few weeks, when my cell phone would ring at night and it was my son calling, I just knew that this was the call to inform me that he was broke down somewhere. Well tonight that phone call came.

Low and behold, all my worries were for not. He tells me on the phone that he was driving home, heard what sounded like a bolt hitting the ground and bouncing around under the car then that was immedately followed by a grinding - tire rubbing sound from the right rear. He immediately pulled over and called me. When I got to him, he was all upset that his baby was broke! We checked things out and found that one of the caliper bolts had came out and the caliper had pivoted up - creating the grinding/rubbing sound. We limped the car home and got it in the driveway around 10:00. He jumped in his Mom's car and went back to the scene where he spent an hour and a half walikng up and down the road with a flashlight to find the caliper bolt. Why? Because he remembered that I told him how important it was to keep track of his caliper bolts because they were not something you could go buy at the hardware store. He did find the bolt!

So I guess he listened to his old Dad and took all the things I have been trying to teach him to heart. Maybe, just maybe I got this one right? I apologize for my ramblings - just proud of my boy!

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Nice to hear i had a 14 year old a few weeks ago ask for a cigerette so i said no the then threaten to stab after he tried to rob me of my cigerettes i burn't his hand as i was smoking at the time he snatched for my shirt pocket. He came then back and slashed all my tires.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Good kids these days are hard to find. Its all due to their parents upbringing. Sounds like your doing a good job.
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
My 15 year old was helping me swap the 2.8 in my GT. He was so inot the swap that when his brother asked if he would go to the batting cage or go shoot hoops he declined. He wanted to hear the car run before anything else. I let him start it for the 1st time. Yes proud moments to remember!

------------------

Sad to say this is the best looking part of the car so far!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
You have every reason to be proud of your son and yourself for raising a good kid.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Good kids these days are hard to find. Its all due to their parents upbringing. Sounds like your doing a good job.

/\_____What HE said.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
good stuff.

but - there are actually MANY good kids all around
you just dont notice them - because they are being good
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I replaced all of my 88 caliper bolts with the 'correct' caliper bolts so they didnt fall out again. I got them from my local fastener superstore.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Great Job Pat... You should be very proud.

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
My kids have no interest in cars. They call the chopper "the Mcdonalds car" "cuz it's ugly". I haven't figured that out yet.
My stepdad was always tinkering with cars and boats when I was in high school. That is what gave me the drive for this hobby. I might be out stealing hubcaps if I didn't have the fiero bug.
I'm glad to see your son is proud of his work, Pat!

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

"For Sale"

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Good kids AREN'T hard to find.
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of me a bit - wanted something, worked for it, doesn't want to lose it. Though, you're both a good ways ahead of me what with the swap and being able to identify what's wrong. Kudos.

You've done a good job Pat... Be proud of yourself.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Good story. My goal is to have both of my daughters turn out that way. Willing to work for something better, but happy they have achieved what they have.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'm a fgirst generation car nut in my family. My dad was never really into cars neither was my mom brother and sister. I learned everything i know on my own with the help of PFF. I wish my dad would have been able to help me out with working on my cars though.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Pat
sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, PK - I think your dad is catching the Fiero bug after meeting him at Freysingers.

Pat - great story - thanks for sharing it!

Cheers,
Rich

------------------

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

My kids have no interest in cars. They call the chopper "the Mcdonalds car" "cuz it's ugly". I haven't figured that out yet.

That makes me almost cry, I love the look of the Short Bus. It has quickly become one of my favorite Fieros on here. I wish my dad had the ambition to do something like that to a car of his choice.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I know both of Pat's kids personally.....and they are GREAT kids. That's what happens when great parents are doing the raising.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Pat, you are a model all fathers should live by. You are DEFINITELY doing it right! I'm glad to hear that your son has such a passion for his newly recreated ride. Thumbs up for you, my friend.
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
Pat, great job!! Its called PRIDE! When you work for something (earn the money) and know how much effort and work YOU put into it to build it, you have respect for what you have achieved and a great deal of pride in what you have done together. You will likely not see or hear of him hot rodding aroound town in it either for the same reasons.... speaking of kids builds hows your daughters car coming Hulki???
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Lucky kid, but I'm glad to see he's working for it. You don't see that much in my generation and lower.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Pretty busy the last few days but we were able to get under the car last night and found that there was no damage. We pulled the other bolt out, added some locktite and resinsatlled - did the same on the other side too!

Saboo - thanks for the reply.
Frizlefrak - thanks for your kind words!
Hulki - that means a lot to me coming from you!
Snappy - You are 100% correct - Pride is a powerful thing.
Nemesis - I'm glad that he is working for it too.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock