3000gt engine swap by jeffdean42
Started on: 06-05-2010 02:11 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Doug85GT on 06-05-2010 09:46 AM
jeffdean42

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffdean42Send a Private Message to jeffdean42Direct Link to This Post
anyone ever swap in a 3000gt engine? I like the car overall, i noticed people swap in the dash? how much can these motors be built in hp? I noticed some come in twin turbo... how much power can the transmission handle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I was semi interested in the vr-4's awhile back. They are really a pain in the rump to work on. They are huge engines. Almost everyone I went to look at had some kind of engine repair needed, OR just performed. Seemed like they were selling before something else broke.

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

"For Sale"

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Seemed like they were selling before something else broke.

Well thats Mitz. for you. Got to enjoy doing headgaskets and leaking oil.
TKDchamp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
My wife raced a 3000GT VR4 a few years back. She was just getting into racing and was trying out the import class. The base HP on the VR4 was 300hp if I remember. Her's was 429hp at the wheels. We sold the car because of the AWD transmission. The splines on the input shaft were starting to strip and it was getting close to the recommended timing belt change. She was able to buy a rear engine dragster rolling chassis cheaper than getting a new transmission at the time. All that being said it was a quick car.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
The NA engine is rated at 222 hp and the turbo engine is rated at 300-320 hp depending on the year.

The complete NA engine weighs about 300# and the complete Turbo engine weighs about 420#.

I think either engine would make a good swap in a Fiero. You would have a some challenges. You would either have to use the Mitsubishi transmission and get custom axles or get an adaptor plate and use the Fiero tranny. I don't know how everything would fit but people have put much larger engines into a Fiero and made them work. Also, I don't know where you would put the intercoolers for the Turbo engine if you choose that engine. Changing the intercooler to a Air/Water cooler would probably be the best bet.

As far as reliability, they are just like any other modern engine. The cars are all over 10 years old. They require maintenance and timing belt changes. They are likely over 100k miles so the valve stem seals probably need to be replaced. Head gasket problems are rare. The 6G72 engine uses a multi-layer steel (MLS) head gasket. These head gaskets are so tough that they are reusable. Expect to see burning oil issues that can be fixed by replacing the PCV valve and valve stems. Also be ready to replace the timing chain and water pump. Don't take the previous owner's word for it. Just replace them. If you take care of the engine, it is very reliable.

If you are looking for hp, then the Turbo engine can put out 400 hp in stock form with just some basic modification. There are lots of modifications that can be done that will get the engine into the 800+ hp range but you have to know what you are doing.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 06-05-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock