Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Has anyone created a list of must-have emergency items to keep in the car?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Has anyone created a list of must-have emergency items to keep in the car? by bakantor
Started on: 06-05-2010 02:03 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Amethyst on 06-10-2010 11:09 PM
bakantor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bakantorSend a Private Message to bakantorDirect Link to This Post
What items should I keep in the car for those unwanted roadside emergencies. It seems like every make of vehicle has its quirks...

... and on a unrelated side note, why are there so many Fiero owners not in touch with the TRUE condition of their car? It's becoming standard fare to go see a car which is advertised as clean with minimal rust only to find out it's rust free because the pieces just aren't there anymore !??!? It actually makes me sick! (Sorry for the mini-rant).

Anyway, back on topic. Fire away with your suggestions for those must-have items!

Cheers!
Brad
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Cell phone.
Credit card.

Ignition module. floor jack. zip ties, crecent wrench, hammer, panty hose, fix a flat.......

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

"For Sale"

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget the 5.5mm socket for the ignition module and silicone heat conductive grease. I also carry a spare coil, antifreeze, timing light, extra wire and electrical tape. I have heard bad things about fix a flat that it can eat away some protective coatings on the rims. I carry a small air compressor.
Jim
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:
Cell phone.
Credit card.

AAA card. Credit card companies don't do roadside assistance.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
1) Fire extinguisher.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Cell Phone

Credit Card

Gun

Who needs more than the three basic groups Communication, Finacial and Security. All others are just dirty along the road.
bakantor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bakantorSend a Private Message to bakantorDirect Link to This Post
I see we have a few comedians here (with some pretty good answers). Thanks for the suggestions... these are simple things to gather up and stash in the trunk. AAA is probably the best solution... tow me home James!

As for fix-a-flat, I will never use the stuff again. I've had two bad experiences with tires I used fix-a-flat on. First, the product works quite well for a quick fix IF the tire has reached end of life. If you plan to use this as a long-term fix for a minor leak you'll be in for a big shock. The product does not settle evenly in the tire and many times makes the wheel virtually impossible to balance. Furthermore, it may never completely dry if the leak does seal... because of this I suspect it contributed to the plys seperating on one tire (two cans were used within 6 months). I will say this is purely speculation based on my first-hand experience combined with many discussions with people in the tire business.

[This message has been edited by bakantor (edited 06-05-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I carry a spare module and coil, and the tools to replace them. No sense going through the trouble of having the car towed, if you only need to swap out a $20 part. The spare tire, jack, tire iron, and fire extinguisher are a no-brainer, as well. I also carry a set of jumper cables.

Aside from that, I also carry the cell phone with me while driving, just in case.

I did the math, and my Fiero gets towed so infrequently that I would be losing money on a AAA membership. Paying for it out-of-pocket actually saves me money. But as always, YMMV.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-05-2010).]

Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
Howabout some Anti-PMS pills for the loud mouth passenger...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I carry a spare module and coil, and the tools to replace them. No sense going through the trouble of having the car towed, if you only need to swap out a $20 part...

I did the math, and my Fiero gets towed so infrequently that I would be losing money on a AAA membership. Paying for it out-of-pocket actually saves me money. But as always, YMMV.

I agree with most what you say, but I have changed out my module while waiting for the tow truck and still had no fire. Turns out If I would have had a spare distributor that would have worked. But I haven't gotten to where I carry a spare distributor. The flat bed was the only solution.

Also I got a 80 mile tow by AAA and didn't cost me a penny other than my regular dues. I don't even want to think about what an 80 mile tow costs.

In my opinion if you regularly drive Fieros you need AAA.
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I keep a fire extinguisher in mine but lately been thinking of just letting it burn.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

... but lately been thinking of just letting it burn.

LOL! I guess you have full coverage. My 84 has caught fire twice. But it didn't have full coverage at the time, so I extinguished the fire.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bakantor:

I see we have a few comedians here (with some pretty good answers).

No comedy you will need the fire extinguisher didn't say it for a joke there is a member here that lost his cars just this year due to fire. It may be a bit of a joke that fieros catch fire until your standing next to it in tears watching it burn with no fire extinguisher.
bakantor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bakantorSend a Private Message to bakantorDirect Link to This Post
Nope, didn't think you were joking yet it is quite funny in a morbid sort of way... and mine's an 84.

My daughter looked at the car I pulled home today and said "That's pretty cool, how many seats are in it?" (BTW I have 4 kids). She promptly follows up with a comment about the Fiero window decal ... "Why does it say Fired". I promptly corrected her that we don't talk about fire and Fieros in the same sentence.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

Howabout some Anti-PMS pills for the loud mouth passenger...

ROTFLMAO !!

Its easier to just take out the passenger seat and install a sub, amp, and carputer in the vacant spot.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,

On long trips, I ALWAYS carry a small Igloo with ice and beverages; typically the adult beverage containing hops

Cordially,
Kevin
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Cell phone.
Credit card.

Ignition module. floor jack. zip ties, crecent wrench, hammer, panty hose, fix a flat.......

Don't forget jumper cables!
And why panty hose?

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Spare tire (properly inflated!), wheel brace and stock fiero jack (it's better than nothing).
Spare belt.
Spare ign module (+ tools to change, see next item)
Small toolkit (assorted driver bits etc).
electrical tape.
Some nitrile gloves just to keep hands clean(ish) whilst cursing the car!
Jump cables

AAA card and mobile phone though has been the best 'tool' so far though.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the things that have been stated...
* Road/Emergency Flares
* Shell Rescue (Gas additive)
* Qt of oil, and can of brake fluid (Keep in plastic bag)
* Flashlight (cranking type)
* Hose clamps and duck tape

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

1) Fire extinguisher.

Damnit u beat me to it lol!!
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
all depends on what you are capable of doing.

I have found basic tools & stuff are a waste of time & space. I have ONCE been able to do a roadside repair. and, being an ignition module - I knew it was coming, had the spare & the tools to do so. saw the bouncy tach, got a module at NAPA, the next day - it died.

so - I am with the AAA card, Credit Card & Cellphone crowd.
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

Don't forget jumper cables!
And why panty hose?

Panty hose works great to replace belt of course its only a temp fix.
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
laugh... Max!

Hey, he's the only one who knows how to change the ignition module... etc... etc... and if that doesn't work, then the cell phone to call the tow truck!! Or Max to come fix the fiero!! lol

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock